http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/6216803.stm

Rider Zara Phillips, rugby great Gareth Edwards and Europe's Ryder Cup-winning captain Ian Woosnam are among the sport stars featured in the New Year Honours.

World equestrian champion Phillips, who was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year, is made an MBE while Edwards becomes a CBE and Woosnam an OBE.

Football was also honoured with Steven Gerrard and Faye White becoming MBEs.

Boxer Ricky Hatton and amateur golfer Gary Wolstenholme are made MBEs, as is BBC tennis commentator John Barrett.

News conference: Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

Phillips, the Queen's granddaughter, claimed individual gold on her horse Toytown in the three-day eventing competition at the World Equestrian Games in Germany in August, and also helped Great Britain secure a team silver.

I'd like to accept this on behalf of all those people who have been so supportive to me throughout my career

Steven Gerrard

The 25-year-old is only the third rider to hold both European and world titles at the same time.

"I'm honoured I've been recognised for my achievements in equestrianism and pleased British Eventing nominated me. I'm delighted for the sport," said Phillips, the first senior Royal to win an honour.

Former Wales and Cardiff scrum-half Edwards is considered one of rugby union's all-time greats.

He won 63 caps for Wales, helping the team to win three Five Nations Grand Slams during their 1970s golden era, and toured with the Lions three times.

"Gareth is an icon within our game," said Welsh Rugby Union chief executive Roger Lewis.

Ian Woosnam

Woosnam captained Europe to Ryder Cup victory over the USA

"Since finishing playing he has continued to hit the headlines with his work in business and charity, and a CBE is just reward for his continued contribution to Welsh life."

Woosnam, 48, led Europe's team to a comprehensive 18½-9½ win over the US at the K Club in September.

"The Ryder Cup was a fantastic event and is always going to be the pinnacle of my career, but to get an honour like this on top of it is brilliant," said Woosnam.

Gerrard, 26, captained Liverpool to FA Cup victory, scoring a last-minute equaliser to force extra time and penalties.

"I'd like to accept this on behalf of all those people who have been so supportive to me throughout my career," said the midfielder.

Arsenal captain White, 28, led the England team to qualification for next year's World Cup in China.

When I first laced on the gloves, I never thought I would become a world champion, let alone receive an MBE from the Queen

Ricky Hatton

Hatton, 28, gave up his IBF and WBA light welterweight titles to win the WBA welterweight crown in May and is now unbeaten with 30 KOs from 41 fights.

"When I first laced on the gloves, I never thought I would become a world champion, let alone receive an MBE from the Queen," said Hatton. "It came as a great surprise."

Barrett succeeded the late Dan Maskell as the BBC's voice of tennis in 1991 and commentated on his last Wimbledon final in July after a 36-year career.

He became a commentator after a successful career as a player, representing Great Britain in the Davis Cup and playing in every Wimbledon tournament from 1950 to 1970.

Yachtsman Mike Golding, 46, who rescued a rival in the Five Oceans round-the-world race, becomes an OBE, while waterskier Jacqueline Stimpson is made an MBE for her services to disability sport.

Former Football Association executive director David Davies is made an OBE, as is ex-MCC secretary Roger Knight.

Rangers chairman David Murray receives a knighthood for services to business in Scotland.

Paul Bush, chef de mission for the Scottish Commonwealth Games team, is made an OBE, as is Ian Mason, the chairman of Scottish Swimming.

Sporting Equals director Novlette Rennie becomes an OBE for services to diversity in sport, as does British Tennis Foundation director Sue Wolstenholme, who is honoured for her services to disability sport.

Recipients of honours are nominated by government departments, private sector organizations and individuals, and decisions are made by committees within the Cabinet Office.

COMMANDER OF THE ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE - CBE

Gareth Edwards, services to sport, particularly rugby.

OFFICERS OF THE ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE - OBE

Paul Bush, chef de mission, Scottish Commonwealth Games Team, services to sport.

David Davies, lately executive director, Football Association, services to sport.

Michael Golding, yachtsman, services to sport.

Ian Mason, chair Scottish Swimming, services to sport.

Novlette Rennie, director Sporting Equals, services to diversity in sport.

Susan Wolstenholme, director British Tennis Foundation, services to disabled sport.

Ian Woosnam, golfer, services to sport.

MEMBERS OF THE ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE - MBE

John Barrett, lately tennis commentator, BBC, services to sports broadcasting.

Dr David Davies, services to Welsh Athletics, in particular Carmarthen Harriers Athletics Club.

Paul John Fletcher, services to sport and charity, Rawtenstall, Lancs.

Daphne Geer, president Southern Counties Amateur Swimming Association, services to sport, Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Michael Geer, swimming coach and president Royal Tunbridge Wells Swimming Club, services to sport, Kent.

Steven Gerrard, footballer, services to sport.

Stephen Grainger, chief executive Youth Sport Trust, services to school sport, Mansfield, Notts.

Ivor Gray, youth football coach, services to sport in Northumberland.

Richard Hatton, boxer, services to sport.

Roger Ingham, services to sport in North Yorkshire.

Thomas Lynch, services to Bicycle Moto Cross (BMX) racing and to Ambulance Service cycling, London.

Alexander Marshall, services to bowls, Tranent, East Lothian.

Dr John Lloyd Parry, services to sports medicine, Maidenhead, Berks.

Zara Phillips, Individual Three-Day Event world champion, services to equestrianism.

Derek Roberts, services to the history and sport of cycling.

Anthony Stannard, head trainer, Malmesbury Amateur Boxing Club, services to sport in Wiltshire.

Jacqueline Stimpson, water skier, services to disabled sport.

Faye White, captain Arsenal Ladies' Football Club and England, services to sport.

Mervyn White, services to motorcycle racing in Northern Ireland, Limavady, Londonderry.

Gary Wolstenholme, amateur golfer, services to sport.

I wonder if he feels guilty with this award, but as Gav says they are a joke and hand them out to anyone.

Its Doctors / surgeons who save lives and people who put there lives at risk who should be receiving honours not people who can ride a fookin horse like that stuck up Zara Phillips.