Celtic suspend fans after damage to Motherwell's Fir Park

FOLLOWING events on Friday evening at Fir Park Stadium, Celtic Football Club today announced that it has issued precautionary suspensions against 128 individuals preventing them attending matches involving Celtic, pending further investigation. These suspensions will cover matches at Celtic Park and away matches.

In addition, the Club will be relocating around 250 season book holders in Section 111 to other areas within the stadium, or offering refunds covering the remainder of the season to those who do not wish to be relocated.

Events such as those on Friday night do not represent the Celtic support or the Club. These events were an embarrassment to our great football club and are absolutely indefensible.

It is clear that there is an element which has no hesitation in bringing Celtic’s name into disrepute. This is something the Club will not tolerate and we therefore have no other option but to take this action. We will not allow the great name of Celtic to be damaged in this way any more - our supporters deserve more than this.

While recent events are very regrettable, we would like to thank our many thousands of fans for the wonderful, positive backing which they continue to give to Celtic. We are sure these supporters will understand the position which the Club is in and we are also sure they will unite with the Club as we move forward.

Celtic Football Club is in excellent shape on and off the field. The Club is in a very safe and strong position and we have a young, exciting team working hard to deliver quality football and success for our supporters, as they did on Friday evening with a magnificent performance. This is what we want to be talking about and this is what we want to celebrate.

Celtic has a proud 125-year history and fundamental to that history have been our fans. Our supporters enjoy a wonderful reputation earned across many years, many families and many generations. This is something we must protect vigorously.

Before we get too carried away with this euphoric statement, remember this. It's great what they say they will do when UEFA is watching, in an attempt to reduce punishment from them. I'll believe it when I see it.

http://m.stv.tv/news/west-central/235113-green-brigades-section-111-of-celtic-park-closed-over-safety-fears/

Celtic to relocate supporters in Green Brigade section over safety fears

05 August 2013 18:28 BST

Green Brigade: Celtic announced section 111 would be closed. Pic: SNS Group

Celtic is to relocate fans from the section of its stadium where the controversial Green Brigade ultras group is based.

On Monday, the club informed members of the Green Brigade section 111 of Celtic Park would be subject to new restrictions over concerns about safety.

Last month Celtic had warned of the possible closure of the section following crowd trouble at their UEFA Champions League qualifier against Cliftonville.

The club issued a statement on Monday evening saying: "It is therefore with extreme regret that for safety reasons, the Club has taken the decision to relocate supporters currently sitting within Area 111 of the Stadium, where there have been continued examples of unsafe behaviour. Supporters who do not wish to be relocated may choose to receive a pro rata refund and return their season ticket.

"This is not a decision that has been taken lightly. Supporters in this section provide the team with excellent vocal backing. We have also seen some highly imaginative and original displays which have brought colour and energy to Celtic Park and the Club has on a number of occasions acknowledged the positive contribution the group make on a match day. We must, however, balance this against the need to ensure that we provide a safe environment for all supporters.

"We are sure all our supporters understand that it would be inconceivable and irresponsible for the Club not to deal with this issue with the utmost seriousness. We are sure our supporters will also agree that we have given those fans within this section every opportunity to change behaviour. However, the Club has now been left with no choice. Safety is paramount.

"The Club’s sole motivation in this situation is the safety of its supporters — nothing else. The Club and its Directors are ultimately liable for the safety of all supporters within Celtic Park and failure to ensure their safety could have serious repercussions."

The Parkhead club had given the Green Brigade and other spectators sitting in the section two games to improve their behavior or face action being taken.

In response to the move, the fans' group had earlier released a statement online. It read: "The Green Brigade are disappointed to announce that our section in 111 is to be closed by Celtic Football Club.

"Pathetically, this is due to ‘lateral movement’ which has been deemed ‘unsafe’ by the club’s directors. Our group and section has continually made concessions and strived to be co-operative with the club over various safety concerns so we are left dismayed that such drastic and immediate action has been taken over such a trivial and harmless movement.

"The group is currently seeking legal advice and will consult with those in our section over the coming days. A detailed statement shall be released over the next few days and we'd advise all within our section to take no action until we have had the opportunity to discuss our options together. We would like to stress that this is not the end of the Green Brigade.

"Decisions and hurdles like these will only strengthen our group's resolve. We would like to thank the Celtic support who have continually backed, funded and inspired our group from our formation to the present day and we can assure you that none of this support will have been in vain."

Uefa had opened disciplinary proceedings against Celtic by the governing body after flares were used during the match against Cliftonville.

Celtic have admitted "three fireworks exploded" within section 111 of the stadium, the area in which the Green Brigade is situated. The club have also claimed 131 seats were damaged by the group at the match.

The Parkhead club said it would monitor the behaviour of the supporters in section 111 at the two following games, a friendly against Borussia Monchengladbach and the first leg of its European qualifier versus IF Elfsborg last week.

"A ban on 128 supporters was instantly imposed pending a probe into Friday night's shame game at Motherwell."

UEFA deal with the banner stuff tomorrow, eh? I wonder what the probe's findings will be next week when there is no one to impress?

I'll believe it when I see no one sitting in section 111.

One thing though.... the press statements coming from Parkhead are far better than those coming from Ibrox - whether we agree with the sentiment or not, they look much better than ours, which are covered in snide derogatory comments.

Here's Lennon toeing the party line here. This is the guy who asked for and got the help of the GB to bring back the thunder to Parkhead. He praised them to high heavens. They even had a banner saying "We are all Neil Lennon". They are awash in CL money, they don't need them now. He even blamed them for the defeat to AC Milan. What a two-faced SOB.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/447928/Celtic-boss-Neil-Lennon-says-troublemaking-Green-Brigade-fanbase-had-to-go

Celtic boss Neil Lennon says troublemaking Green Brigade fanbase had to go

NEIL LENNON insists Celtic had no choice but to come down hard on the rogue faction of their fanbase because they were creating a powderkeg atmosphere that was going to result in someone getting seriously hurt.

By: Scott BurnsPublished: Tue, December 10, 2013

The Green Brigade fanbase of Celtic have been blamed for a 'powderkeg' atmosphere [ROSS TURPIE]

celtic-447928.jpg

The club decided enough was enough after an element of their away support caused more than £10,000 damage at Fir Park – trashing more than 200 seats in the South Stand and setting off flares – during Friday night’s 5-0 victory over Motherwell.

The Hoops subsequently banned 128 fans from all games, home and away, and then closed section 111 at Celtic Park, home to the notorious Green Brigade.

Boss Lennon said: “The club has made its stance pretty clear and there was an air of inevitability about it. There have been repeated warnings and the club was put in a corner and had to react. It has done swiftly.

I don’t like to see flares and I don’t like seeing smoke bombs. I don’t think they bring anything to the game and obviously the damage done at Fir Park is not like us

Neil Lennon

“It’s very disappointing because they have added something spectacular at times to the stadium in terms of atmosphere.

“But in the last two or three years, you’ve felt a change in the atmosphere at times.

“It was something I’ve not experienced before in my time here.

“I don’t know what the right word would be – it’s been a sort of powderkeg, almost, in the wrong way.

“I don’t like to see flares and I don’t like seeing smoke bombs. I don’t think they bring anything to the game and obviously the damage done at Fir Park is not like us.

“Will it take something as extreme as somebody getting hurt to stop people bringing them into games? I don’t know. I don’t see what purpose they serve.”

Lennon also believes the troublemakers were only hanging on to the coat-tails of the team and their main priority was causing chaos.

“For some of them Celtic seem to have become a secondary element when it comes to the football,” added Lennon.

“You don’t like to see that. You felt an atmosphere being generated at times that had an edge to it.”