Old Ground and fan representation.

A couple of nights ago i was sitting with a friend and commented that season ticket prices had been frozen for two years and next year season ticket prices would inevitably go up in price, When i purchased my season tickets last year i paid £358 per ticket for my seats in the Govan front and i purchased two tickets costing me £716, Now here is where my idea comes in and before i get kicked from pillar to post i know that what i am suggesting will be a lot to ask of most fans but i am leaving my idea open to suggestions.

I read somewhere that to gain a majority shareholding of Rangers thus gaining control of the club someone would need to purchase shares to the value of £13 or £14 million pounds, My idea is this next year if i buy the same season tickets i am going to pay upwards of £400 pounds per ticket per seat, Now say i pay £700 pound per ticket per seat this would generate income of just under £26 million pounds based on the current 37000 season ticket holders.

£26 million pounds now look at that figure £26 million pounds what could the supporters do with £26 millon pounds well £14 million pounds buys you a controling interest in the football club leaving £12 million pounds in the bank before sponsorship merchandise and other revenue streams which i know little about.

There are lots of issues around this idea, Like who would control the shares, Who would make up the board, how would the board be elected etc etc etc i would like input from others on these subjects but i would also like to remind people that supporters already own 12% of the shares meaning if these shareholders would proxy their shares and back this idea we would only need another 39% of shares to gain majority control of the club meaning it wouldn't cost £14 million for the majority shareholding leaving more money in the bank to go towards running the club for the season.

Also it would be an idea to talk to influential Rangers supporters in the business world to gain knowledge in how to go about setting this up and looking for investment and we could also approach ex players that contributed to the save the Rangers fund and would hopefully be willing to contribute again towards a fan ownership model.

Pie in the sky maybe but its an idea!

I'm in favour of fan ownership and a member of the RST and BuyRangers. It's not "pie in the sky" to imagine that supporters can gradually increase their stake in Rangers while still buying season tickets. But if it is ever going to happen then we need to stop thinking that were are only customers.

Edited by ranger_syntax

The point would be I think if it was done so open that you would have to pay top price for the shares.

What is top price for the shares pete? did the shares not drop to 39 pence per share and can you put a price on the fans owning the club i know its a big ask paying £700 pounds for a season ticket but in reality you would still only be paying £350 for your season ticket and investing £350 pounds in your club.

Technically their is nothing stopping you from doing this anyway, just buy shares with the extra money.

There is way too many trust issues with a lot of supporters just now and it wouldnt be possibly with the current set up. Look at the current set up and how much that raised, plus there is a good case for raising season ticket prices anyway.

It's a positive idea with merit but arguably unworkable as I'm not sure the club could legally ring-fence such monies for investment into buying the business.

I'd suggest the BuyRangers scheme may be a better option but appreciate, for some, that lacks credibility.

What is this good case for raising season ticket prices?

We will be up against a higher quality of opposition next season. The same will be true the following season. The supporters will be willing and able to pay more to attend and Rangers should increase the price in order to maximize total revenue.