Youth plan - Revolution required?

Guest AVB

http://www.ecaeurope.com/PageFiles/6175/ECA%20Youth%20Report%20on%20Academies_A4_SECURE_final.pdf

Really interesting read above - All clubs of a similar stature to ourselves and their youth academies!

How do we view our youth academy(is it one?) as of now?

I was really encouraged by the number of young players we brought through last season. However this season I have been quite disenchanted by the number playing for us. Looking at the current XI we have Clark, MacLeod, Aird, of an age where we can real sell on value. The likes of Crawford, MacKay, Macausland, Gasporotto all seem to have went backwards in their development - However this is just an assumption looking in.

I was encouraged by the new CEO comments on youth development as I see it as a major growth area for our club in the next decade or so. The last midweek game at home to Forfar we changed McCulloch for Cribari at 4-0 - this is what worries me on how Ally views are youth at the moment. Is he the right man for this plan if this is the route we will take.

How can we improve it? It might be a bit unpopular but signing Smith, Foster is absolutely crazy for me. How on earth can these players improve Rangers in the future?

It would be interesting to see if the club has a set philosophy on developing talent.

Several of our youth haven't looked good enough even at this part time level which is very worrying.

How's unemployment btw mate? :D

:violin:

I'll get it right someday/somewhere!

Several of our youth haven't looked good enough even at this part time level which is very worrying.

How's unemployment btw mate? :D

Other than Aird & McLeod it's difficult to see who else will still be with us when we're back in the top division.Perhaps putting the likes of Crawford and Barrie MacKay out on loan somewhere might be an idea worth considering at the moment though it might leave us a bit thin on the ground

Other than Aird & McLeod it's difficult to see who else will still be with us when we're back in the top division.Perhaps putting the likes of Crawford and Barrie MacKay out on loan somewhere might be an idea worth considering at the moment though it might leave us a bit thin on the ground

I would of like to see Telfer and Stoney get a real chance this season - We have nothing to lose.

McAusland as well..

A proper youth policy should have been in place when Murray Park was first opened and that would have meant having a proper scouting system with ex players in their native countries finding good young talent. I know some will point to the 1 or 2 that has come through but we really should have had 20 times more better players coming through and should have been light years ahead any other SPL side. As such it pains to say Dundee Utd have even a far better youth set up.

I think the reality of the situation is that the only scouts we ever know to have existed at our club are Ewan Chester, Bomber and Neil Murray ie incompetent fools. The proof is in the pudding given the dross we have signed. Over the past 10 years I'd say nigh on 90% of our signings have been dire.