STV's Young Players To Watch For In 2014

Subjective or not, it's very telling. Doesn't this guy Sinclair have a habit of this kind of thing? Releasing good players. Telfer almost being the latest victim?

Around a dozen players he released made Scotland youth squads in the past year, if it was 2 or 3 maybe not an issue, but when it reaches double figures somebody must look at it.

Charlie Telfer wasn't being released but he was stalling on a new contract and eventually signed for one year, therefore his contract is up in the summer again.

Three years ago Callum Gallagher was being released based on what Sinclair seen in the preceeding months, he then changed his mind and he gave him a new contract based on his performance for 45 minutes against Celtic.

I hope both Callum and Luca can make the most of this short loan spell they are currently on.

Subjective or not, it's very telling. Doesn't this guy Sinclair have a habit of this kind of thing? Releasing good players. Telfer almost being the latest victim?
Has Telfer been released? Marc Wotte rated him as one of Scotland's most promising youngsters. Get rid of Sinclair; the youth job is now actually more crucial than Ally's IMO.

Has Telfer been released? Marc Wotte rated him as one of Scotland's most promising youngsters. Get rid of Sinclair; the youth job is now actually more crucial than Ally's IMO.

No, he has 6 months left i think and only agreed to sign a 1 year extension last summer. Shows a distinct lack of faith in what is happening at Rangers.

Some perspective if I may. Firstly this list has been compiled by STV, I'm not sure what qualifications they have to compile this list or why we should take it seriously. I suspect they're no more qualified than any other fan who watches the game.

Secondly as anyone who has followed football for as long as I have can testify guessing young players is a mugs game. You might as well stick a pin in a list of names because that last step from promising youth to full-time pro is actually a giant leap. It seems to be as much psychological as to do with ability and none of us know the personalities of the kids named here.

Thirdly this premise that Rangers are missing out on promising young players really doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The simple fact is Scotland isn't producing good players, who are they, who have we missed out on, Dylan McGeough? Johnnie Russell looked like a pretty decent player in my opinion but his level is Derby County, it's not like La Liga sides are beating a path to Scotland. Remember the top goal scorer in the SPL is Billy McKay a guy released to non-league football by Leicester before finding the dizzy heights of Northampton Town. The entire country is failing at football, not just Rangers.

Fourthly, and most controversially I imagine, the criticism Sinclair takes needs examined too. I've heard it said he only wants large physically strong boys yet a look at MacLoed, Aird and Crawford, the most promising of our younger players, suggests the opposite. Had Danny Wilson, Jamie Ness and Rhys McCabe shown more patience and less greed we might be looking at a starting 11 with at least four homegrown starters each week, as many as any side in the league I'd contest.

The only club we can really be compared too is Celtic, from what I can see they've developed one player of any note, and an alleged sex pest to boot, in the last five years. Dundee Utd can finish third bottom and no one will bat an eyelid, that allows them to 'blood' young players. Good luck trying that at Rangers.

The comment that struck me is about the number of players let go who've represented Scotland at age levels.

I don't see that as particularly mattering.

Most are fans have higher standards for Rangers than what Scotland put out. Many players who play nationally at youth level don't succeed or excel as a senior pro. Ok we're at a lower standard than we aspire to be but I still just don't think it's totally relevant.