Billy Brown: 'Enough is enough - Hearts transfer ban must be lifted'

Billy Brown believes the time has come to allow Hearts to add to their meagre squad as injuries and suspensions mount at Tynecastle.

With a transfer embargo still attached to the club while they battle to exit administration, Hearts were again unable to name a full quota of seven substitutes in Thursday’s Edinburgh derby defeat to Hibernian.

Hearts have 14 fit players to choose from, with further places in the squad having to be handed to youths from the Under-17s.

Brown questioned whether the sight of kids just out of school having to be called into the first team could damage the reputation of the game in Scotland and declared that “enough is enough”.

He said that the sanctions on the club were punishing the wrong people, with former owner Vladimir Romanov now out of the picture.

Brown said: “We’ve taken our punishment on the chin and as far as I’m concerned the punishment should end now.

“We should be able to sign players now. Everybody speaks about sporting integrity and it is about time the ban was lifted.

“It is not the people here that are at fault for what happened. The man who caused it has gone.

“We have about 13 or 14 players to pick from and we can’t fill the bench. Jamie Hamill is suspended on Sunday and Scott Robinson will be suspended [later in the month].

“This isn’t a bluff. Within three or four injuries and suspensions we are having to put 15 and 16-year-olds in.

“You tell me if that’s a benefit to Scottish football.

“I think the time has now come. Enough is enough and we have to be given a bit of leeway.”

http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/hearts/258929-billy-brown-enough-is-enough-hearts-transfer-ban-must-be-lifted/

Well well well Billy. Were you quite happy when Rangers got their year long transfer embargo as their 'punishment' ? Didn't hear you complaining then did we? Now the boot is on the other foot not so great is it?

Spare me the nonsense about Scottish Football too. It is a joke.Its top division is a pathetic bore of a one horse race which you all voted for when Rangers got voted out the SPL because you hadn't the guts to challenge Liewell.

What you reap you sow Billy. Rough luck.

Championship would have benefited Hearts - Mackay

HEARTS should have gone into administration before the end of last season and accepted relegation, according to Gary Mackay.

The record-holder for the number of appearances for the Tynecastle club, Mackay believes that playing this season in the Championship would have been better for Gary Locke’s squad and hastened the club’s recovery, whereas the current fight to beat the drop could be jeopardising their careers.

“If you don’t have your own personal agenda at Heart of Midlothian Football Club, you allow the club to go into administration and go into the First Division this season,” he said yesterday. “The benefit would have been that the development of the young players would have been in a less pressurised situation, and Rangers wouldn’t be coming into the division that Hearts look like they are going to be in next season.

“There would still have been pressure, because Hearts would have been the big guns, but you could make a parallel with Hibernian when they went down to the First Division. Hearts have had exceptional crowds – if you look at the fact they had 4,000 more against Kilmarnock than Hibs did in the space of a four-day period – but these crowds would have been the same, if not more, in the First Division with a team that had the confidence of winning games.

“I think we could be damaging a lot of talented young footballers. And not just that, but also maybe taking a year or two off the careers of the Jamie Hamills and the Ryan Stevensons along the way, because of the demands on them.”

While accepting that the finances of Kaunas-based companies Ubig and Ukio were the cause of Hearts’ collapse, Mackay thinks that managing director David Southern and director of football John Murray should take responsibility for the timing of the move into administration. “There was one statement in June that it was down to the supporters not doing things quickly enough that the club was in the kind of situation it was, but that hopefully they could react and things would improve to get us through the summer,” he continued. “Three days later we were in administration.

“We have, as a group of supporters, been hoodwinked for a number of years. When you’ve had a chief executive who has been in the post for two-and-a-half years before you went into administration, the buck doesn’t always stop with the Lithuanians.

“I don’t know who made that decision, but I have my feelings on who made the judgment, because, when the Lithuanians weren’t there, there were only two people who could make that judgment – and that was the managing director and the director of football. They have made, for me, the wrong decision for the well-being of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/championship-would-have-benefited-hearts-mackay-1-3255646