Have to say that I'm surprised at some of the criticism Ally is getting

Not because it's not deserved, but because Walter played terrible football too but nobody really seemed to care. It used to annoy me that people had such a short sighted view under Walter. The football he played was never going to get us anywhere in Europe (bar 2 successful seasons over both stints, the second success due to playing 10 defenders in the UEFA Cup) and while it won domestic trophies, it wasn't the type of long term philosophy that was going to see the club prosper, without throwing money at players. In Walter's first stint we hardly developed any youth talent and he left the squad in a mess.

Is it the case that the football is so poor now that nobody can ignore it any more? Or is it because we are playing such poor opposition now? The common line under Walter was that winning is all that matters. Well we are still doing that.

Walter more often than not won titles and had the beating of Celtic, that hides a multitude of sins for so many fans. Walter also had a challenge on every front, Ally has a doddle and is still making it look hard. Players respected Walter in a way they clearly do not of Ally which also makes a huge difference.

Edited by Super Cooper

The football under Smith was dreadful - and I did say so at the time - frequently.

McCoist, rather than having his own ideas, is copying the unimaginative and dull Smith style, and while some people - but not me - will excuse turgid football if it gets results, they won't at the level we're at just now, and why should they?

A club like Rangers, with only one serious challenger in Scotland, should never have safety-first football as its favoured option.

Rangers needs to change the awful negative football culture that exists at Ibrox, but it won't happen while Ally is manager.

Edited by Hildy

Walter more often than not won titles and had the beating of Celtic, that hides a multitude of sins for so many fans. Walter also had to a challenge on every front, Ally has a doddle and is still making it look hard. Players respected Walter in a way they clearly do not of Ally which also makes a huge difference.

There wasn't much more that Walter could have done than win titles and beat Celtic here in Scotland. In spite of his negative tactics, I suspect that not too many of us were disappointed in Walter's management that night in Florence. Think that Super Cooper has hit the nail on the head when he compares the respect that the players had for Walter over Ally. That is often the way it is when a hugely respected manager steps down. The situation at Manchester United is an indication of that. After saying that, there are few still in the current squad who were around when Walter was there and it may just be that Ally hasn't much going for him as a team manager.

Were you happy with the football played under Walter though?

I wasn't happy. I was bored and stopped going to the games after 40 years. Walter did that! I went back when we hit our troubles and queued for over 6 hours for a season ticket. If this style of negative football continues then I will stop going again. Walter was forgiven by many because he was successful against Celtic. It is not all about that for me, it is about pleasure and enjoyment. The only pleasure we get these days is the camaraderie. I am sorry to say that Ally is not my style of manager.

I

I think it goes beyond Ally not being anyone's 'style of manager'. To me he is grossly incompetent to the point where I'm not sure he has the talent to manage at any level at all. I'm not entirely sure he'd be good enough to coach someone like St Mirren. I think it's just not the industry he should be in. I thought McLeish was the worst manager on the planet but I've changed my mind.

In the third tier we should be winning comfortably and be entertaining to watch. The fact that is not happening does not augur well for Ally when we return to the top division.Sooner or later our new CEO will need to make a decision to stick with Ally or look elsewhere for a replacement who would need to be able to get more out of the current squad than the likes of what we endured last night.

What concerns me most about Ally is his inability to sort things out when things aren't going well. Too often last night possession was given away needlessly and set pieces not clearing the first defender. A Jock Wallace or Souness would be on the touch line screaming at the culprits. Not Ally though. Arms folded hoping things will sort themselves out.That needs to change