Have to say that I'm surprised at some of the criticism Ally is getting

Guest TravelingWilBEARy
Having world beaters like Laudrup and Gascoigne was the entertaining time for Walter because they were a joy to watch but as soon as we came up against half decent European opposition we were bereft of any thought and got found out. But he deserves credit for bringing them to Ibrox. The game in the early to mid 90s was very different so criticism of Walter then is harsh, but 2nd time around he may have steadied a ship and had that euro run but the football wasn't great on the eye. I still wish we just went for it in Manchester and lost 3 or 4 nil rather than sit back and have no chances in that final. If we did play at a high pace tempo I believe we would have won.

Gazza and Laudrup are my 2 personal all time greats and I cant split them, but neither featured in Advocaats team which would have played Walters team off the park. Advocaat's side in his first 2 seasons were very near to something special. They were too good on the eye at one stage. But importantly - they competed in Europe.

It's funny that in Walters 2nd spell we got further in Europe twice than Advocaat with all his millions and international stars ever did.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy
In the UEFA Cup we won 2 games.

Right.......so what? We still progressed further than we did under Advocaat and his millions.

Twice.

Guest TravelingWilBEARy
Also got regularly gubbed by shite teams like Gothenburg, Unirea etc.

Gothenburg was during his 1st spell, and they most certainly were not a shite team. I'd say Smiths 2nd spell in Europe was our entire European history in microcosm - One great campaign, one decent one, one bad one and one awful one. We've under achieved in Europe for 50 years.

We punched above our weight and rode our luck at times on the road to Manchester, yes, but I really can't understand any Rangers fan who would try and belittle the achievement considering it was our first final for 36 years.

Gothenburg was during his 1st spell, and they most certainly were not a shite team. I'd say Smiths 2nd spell in Europe was our entire European history in microcosm - One great campaign, one decent one and one bad one and one awful one. We've under achieved in Europe for 50 years.

We punched above our weight and rode our luck at times on the road to Manchester, yes, but I really can't understand any Rangers fan who would try and belittle the achievement considering it was our first final for 36 years.

I'm aware it was during his first spell. Gothenburg were such a crack team that they went into the group stage and finished bottom. We had 2 good European campaigns under Smith in 11 seasons