ALLY McCOIST has hit out at the SPFL for forcing Rangers fans travel to three away games in just six days.

The Ibrox club will take on Stenhousemuir in a rescheduled League One fixture at Ochilview tomorrow afternoon. The game follows meetings with Airdrie at the Excelsior Stadium on Thursday and Dunfermline at East End Park on Monday.

And with a trek to Forfar looming a fortnight on Monday McCoist is furious with the governing body.

He said: "The game against Stenhousemuir shouldn't have been played this Sunday, it should have been played in midweek.

"That's our fourth game in 11 days. The way our club has been treated is not on. And then to make matters worse, they're sending us and our fans up to Forfar after that. So we play four games in 11 days, nothing for nine days and then they send our fans away up to Forfar on a Monday night.

"So I just think there's something not right about that."

McCoist revealed that pleas from Rangers to the SPFL to rethink the punishing run of matches have fallen on deaf ears.

Asked if Rangers had any input into the scheduling of the games, he said: "Yes, but it shows you how much they listen to us.

"At this time of the year, when money is scarce for everybody, it is ridiculous to ask our fans to travel a third away game and fourth game in 11 days.

"As I say, different initials, same old story."

McCoist added: "I understand more than anybody that we have to attract sponsors and attract television audiences,

"But I just feel once again our supporters are being asked to go the length and breadth of the country.

"That shouldn't be the case all the time. It's just as well our supporters are a strong bunch."

McCoist is also concerned about the impact so many games away from home in such a short space of time will have on his players.

He said: "Four games in 11 days for any set of players is very difficult.

"Lewis Macleod went down against Airdrie and and Ian Black has picked up a couple of kicks against Airdrie too. In an ideal world, they would have longer to recover."

Meanwhile, McCoist, who will meet chief executive Graham Wallace next week, has admitted he has targeted players he would like in the January transfer window.

He said: "If we get the green light to go, then we certainly have possible targets.

"We wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/mccoist-spfl-is-driving-us-mad-147205n.23093383

He could have, just for the sake of it, throw in the 19-days break we had between the Auyr United game (Dec 7th) and Stranraer (Dec 26th). The SPFL may argue that that was our "winter break", but if they send us into a 4-games-in11-days (remember when that last happened ... out of sporting integrity?), three of which away, you see the the (malicious) intent. Games needlessly chucked to Friday or Monday night slots too. But we knew and know who leads this pack up there, so there is no wonder about their behaviour.

And somewhere else, a cash-rich team does what no other team in Scotland is able to and jets off to sunnier climates for a neat winter break.

The Sun's backpage

Agreed with all of that, but have to admit our case would be stronger had we not postponed games from Saturdays because two or three players were away on international duty v. teams with less resources than many Junior clubs. The care and consideration for the punter was sadly lacking when those games were added to our midweek kick-offs.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. We have a big squad and McCoist could have avoided postponing matches himself by various methods.

I don't like matches on Monday and Friday nights but this is a fact of life for a modern professional football team. If you sell rights to broadcasters then this will happen. Over the years we have benefited more than most and when we get back to the top division that will end up being the case again. Fans should complain about this, not clubs.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. We have a big squad and McCoist could have avoided postponing matches himself by various methods.

I don't like matches on Monday and Friday nights but this is a fact of life for a modern professional football team. If you sell rights to broadcasters then this will happen. Over the years we have benefited more than most and when we get back to the top division that will end up being the case again. Fans should complain about this, not clubs.

To be fair he is complaining on behalf of the fans as well

"At this time of the year, when money is scarce for everybody, it is ridiculous to ask our fans to travel a third away game and fourth game in 11 days.''

To be fair he is complaining on behalf of the fans as well

That's true. I've just become a bit sceptical about stuff like this though. It is one thing to make some noise about it in the press but what can done about it?

Nothing will change until people stop watching Rangers matches on television and that's not likely to happen soon.

I think Ally is making a point towards the board and SPFL. He knows the support comes from all corners of the country and Forfar away could easily be filled up with Bears from Dundee and Aberdeen.

But a good point above was the postponements of our games due to international call ups.

Regarding the internationals ... IMHO that is all about technicalities. We had three first teamers and lots more of youngsters (which should not be forgotten) on international duty. We had at the time no injuries and/or suspensions. As far as I am aware, only the international call-ups are reason to ask for a postponement (as long as you have enough registered people about). Just wait till March or April happens by, along with injuries and suspensions. Had we not drawn the postpone-card for 2 or 3 international players, the SPFL and our opposition would have a point in saying that there is no precedent and thus no need to postpone an upcoming game based on suspensions and injuries (alone).