Couple of digs at Ally. Also claims to be a lot fitter now. I feel he mentions the pressure not getting to him too much.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-fleck-starting-hit-heights-3003530'>http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-fleck-starting-hit-heights-3003530

IT’S easy to forget John Fleck is just 22.

He appeared in the 2008 Scottish Cup Final for Rangers at 16 but was being hailed as Scotland’s next big thing long before then.

That’s why when the Scot reflects on a rollercoaster start to his career, even he says the hype was unjustified.

Fleck left Glasgow for the first time in summer 2012 – after the Ibrox club’s financial meltdown – to begin a new life in Coventry, away from the city’s goldfish bowl and Old Firm spotlight.

And 18 months on the little playmaker believes the move has been the making of him.

More mature, both on and off the pitch, Fleck is now a father and senior member of Steven Pressley’s Sky Blues dressing room.

For the first time there are no Wayne Rooney comparisons and predictions of

being Scotland’s next superstar. Instead, he’s simply enjoying the most productive spell of his career so far.

Fleck told Record Sport: “I get asked all the time if I couldn’t handle the weight of expectation on my shoulders at Ibrox. But I can honestly say it didn’t affect me at all.

“I’m a laidback person and tried not to take any notice of the hype. I just tried to do my best – if that was good enough, great, if not there wasn’t a lot I could do about it.

“I’m now starting to show if I’m played in the right position by a manager who has faith in me I can do well. I’m getting the rewards for that at Coventry.

“I can always do better. But the expectation on me at a young age was too much. People were taking it too far.

“Even back then I felt people were talking me up so they could knock me back down.

“In a way that’s what happened. So I’m glad I didn’t let it influence me. I feel I’m playing well now.

“I’m doing what I’ve always done – trying to get on the ball, play passes and make things happen.

“I’m a lot fitter than I was at Rangers too and I’m feeling really good right now.”

Fleck is one of the first names on Pressley’s teamsheet at Coventry and is operating where he always wanted to at Rangers, in the heart of midfield.

People questioned the switch to the Midlands, especially as City subsequently suffered similar financial problems to Gers and were forced out of their Ricoh Arena stadium.

But the former Scotland Under-21 starlet has no regrets and now sees his long-term future in England.

He said: “The move has been great and I’ve played in almost every game this season.

“The manager has got the team doing well – we think we can really do something in this league. We’ve also done well in the FA Cup and have Arsenal at the Emirates in the next round.

“Personally, it’s just good to be a regular in the team. I had to take my chance down here. It was the first time I’d moved away from Glasgow permanently so I didn’t know what to expect.

“I’d like to think I’ve taken the opportunity and, looking at it now, things have worked out for the better.

“I’m playing in central midfield, where I’ve always wanted to, for a manager who believes in me. So I’m really enjoying it.

“It’s a physical league and I’m a wee guy but I’ve always liked a tackle. I’ve never been scared to do that side of the game.

“Coventry have had their problems recently but they’re a massive club with a huge fanbase. The supporters have been brilliant with me.

“I’d like to stay down here as long as I can and it would be great to be part of Coventry’s revival. No one gave us a chance in the summer but we’re getting there – and I want to take the club back where it belongs.”

Fleck is still the same kid who burst on to the scene at Rangers and scored an Ibrox winner aged just 17. But his outlook has now changed, largely due to the birth of son Hudson in June.

However, despite settling down away from the pitch he’s as determined as he’s ever been to fulfil the potential every scout in Scotland saw in him when he was barely out of school.

He said: “I wouldn’t say there’s less pressure here than playing for Rangers. I always put

pressure on myself to play well. The manager also expects a lot from me at Coventry.

“Maybe from the supporters there was more pressure at Ibrox. But no matter who I was playing for I’d put pressure on myself.

“I’m still ambitious and want to play at the highest level. I’m only 22 so have my whole career ahead of me.

“That’s the problem, people think I’m a lot older because I made my Rangers debut at 15. But I’m still young so I’m just concentrating on doing well for City.

“That debut seems like a long time ago – but I’m looking forward to the future now.

“I’ve matured as a person down here. I’ve had a kid, my wee boy Hudson is five months old, and I’m trying to look out for him now along with his mum Lauren.

“I’m loving it but it changes your life. It’s amazing, so everything’s good right now. I’m a Glasgow boy but I’m enjoying life in England.

“It’s difficult getting up the road to see family but that’s just part of football. I’d like to play in Scotland again at some point but at the moment I see my future in England.”

From Daily record: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-fleck-starting-hit-heights-3003530

An outstanding talent who our club didn't know what to do with. Playing under a good football man now who will know exactly what to do with him. Best of luck to him.

One key piece of that article is this

"I’m now starting to show if I’m played in the right position by a manager who has faith in me I can do well."

Exactly what i said above.

Maybe. I've no doubt Fleck would get into the side just now but if we were still in the top flight and challenging Celtic I'm not convinced. He's playing in English League 1 for a side sitting in tenth place already 20 points behind the leaders, it's unlikely Man City are going to be signing him anytime soon.

He's clearly benefiting from playing for a side where you aren't expected to win every match and perhaps if he'd been farmed out to someone like that a few seasons ago it would have helped him.

It's easy to say the manager has faith in him, clearly McCoist didn't, that might not be bad judgement on McCoist's part though.

That article has a neat "let's kick the Gers in the balls" reek to it, if I may say so. Oh look what Rangers have missed out on ...

Pressley is a "good football" man? He's coaching a third tier English mid-table team for half a year now, is he not? Fleck is a father at 22 (sic!) and has matured a lot down there. I see.

Honestly, when I read that name I do not instantly remember the bags of talent he had (and most likely still has), but that he was one of the (if not the) first who bolted from Ibrox once the chance arose after admin struck home. Not a whisper in that article above. So fair enough if he's fine and doing well and whatnot. But taken all things into consideration, that is where my interest in him ends and I for one don't blame club nor manager for anything Fleck'ish.

We get it John, Ally didn't have any faith in you. As a fan, and the rumours I heard, maybe your attitude had something to do with it perhaps?

Not like it's the first time a manager has ever lost faith in a player and he's moved to re-ignite his career.

Did we miss out big time? as far as I'm concerned No.

We get it John, Ally didn't have any faith in you. As a fan, and the rumours I heard, maybe your attitude had something to do with it perhaps?

Not like it's the first time a manager has ever lost faith in a player and he's moved to re-ignite his career.

Did we miss out big time? as far as I'm concerned No.

Not sure now accurate this is or if clubs look into it; but I'd heard rangers look at intelligence as well as talent. Reason being if the player can't be taught then he has little future. Apparently the reason he was miles ahead of his age group in the unders but stalled when playing at higher level as he is unable to use any of the skills coached to him that furthers his game.

Not sure now accurate this is or if clubs look into it; but I'd heard rangers look at intelligence as well as talent. Reason being if the player can't be taught then he has little future. Apparently the reason he was miles ahead of his age group in the unders but stalled when playing at higher level as he is unable to use any of the skills coached to him that furthers his game.

We had Gazza at the club. One of the most talented players we will ever see grace the badge. He would have failed our test.

An outstanding talent who our club didn't know what to do with. Playing under a good football man now who will know exactly what to do with him. Best of luck to him.

One key piece of that article is this

"I’m now starting to show if I’m played in the right position by a manager who has faith in me I can do well."

Exactly what i said above.

I recall most people saying his correct position was up front... Shows how subjective this argument is. But if you can't take your chances in a position slightly removed from you preferred one, you're not a great player IMHO. Laudrup for instance, played all over the place.