Owen Coyle: Rangers shouldn't be second favourites to lift Scottish Cup this season..

.....they're not even in my top five

THE former Wigan boss reckons Rangers lack of strength in comparison with other teams makes them an unlikely candidate to win the Scottish Cup in May.

OWEN COYLE reckons Rangers shouldn’t even be among the top FIVE teams fancied to lift the Scottish Cup in May.

Ally McCoist’s side are joint second with Dundee United in the betting to win the cup with tournament sponsors William Hill.

Rangers have the second biggest budget in the country but Coyle insists that doesn’t automatically mean the League One side are likely to win major silverware.

Gers face Dunfermline at home on Friday night with a quarter-final place at stake and Coyle said: “I don’t think they’d be one of the first five favourites for the Scottish Cup. Of course they can win it with a bit of luck but in terms of the strength of their team against the others I would have to say it is unlikely.

“Coisty is a pal of mine, as is Durranty, we did our pro licences together. But I don’t see their team as one of the cup favourites.

“I did the Airdrie v Rangers game for TV a few weeks ago.

“Rangers started well but never got the second goal and then made heavy weather of winning it.

“If I was judging it on that then I’d say they have some very good young players coming through but I don’t think they’d be one of the first four or five favourites for the Scottish Cup.”

The former Wigan, Bolton and St Johnstone boss reckons the Scottish Cup has taken on extra importance this season for the Old Firm as they romp their respective leagues.

But Coyle believes that if both Glasgow sides get through this weekend then McCoist will want to avoid drawing Neil Lennon’s team in the last eight.

He said: “I can’t put myself in the position of being Rangers manager just now and facing Celtic although on any given day anybody could win it.

“But the odds, with Celtic being so strong, are that they would win the game.

“There’s no getting away from how dominant Celtic are at the moment. They are on their own just now.

“Both Celtic and Rangers have the league effectively tied up and the Cup is now a focus.

“I’m sure the Celtic players will be desperate to finish the season with the double again.

“But it’s also there for everyone else to go and have that big day out at the Final and win the Scottish Cup. Celtic have already lost to Morton in the League Cup so it’s certainly not a foregone conclusion.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/owen-coyle-rangers-shouldnt-second-3112770

We won't win the Scottish Cup and I don't know any Rangers fan that considers us favourites in any way.

I'd put Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd ahead of us at least. Perhaps in a one-off match we may match them but it's certainly not a given we can beat them all on the way to winning the trophy.

We won't win the Scottish Cup and I don't know any Rangers fan that considers us favourites in any way.

I'd put Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd ahead of us at least. Perhaps in a one-off match we may match them but it's certainly not a given we can beat them all on the way to winning the trophy.

Probably this, and even in a one-off it would depend if we were in Motherwell - mode or ICT - mode.

People may look at it differently, but even the Pars are not gun-fodder either. They made it hard for us at East End Park, probably the hardest game this season, and two of their new signings actually scored in their away win at East Fife at the weekend. That will be a tough affair on Friday night, with Ibrox most likely half empty due to date and TV coverage (thanks BBC and schedule freaks!). We can only hope that everyone is up for that and we get an early goal or two.

People may look at it differently, but even the Pars are not gun-fodder either. They made it hard for us at East End Park, probably the hardest game this season, and two of their new signings actually scored in their away win at East Fife at the weekend. That will be a tough affair on Friday night, with Ibrox most likely half empty due to date and TV coverage (thanks BBC and schedule freaks!). We can only hope that everyone is up for that and we get an early goal or two.

It's a game we could lose for sure. Especially with our cup record.