The impact of the Blue Pound on the lower leagues

While looking how Albion Rovers would welcome the news about their Quarterfinal at Ibrox, I stumbled upon their Squad Fund page ...

SQUAD FUND

THE ALBION ROVERS SQUAD FUND (in association with the Albion Rovers Supporters’ Trust)

The town of Coatbridge gave birth to Albion Rovers F.C in 1882, one hundred and thirty years ago.

Since then, Rovers have survived many perils.

Two World Wars. The gradual decline of Scotland’s industrial base. The lure of the two big Glasgow clubs. Saturation coverage of top-level football on television. The emergence of a dizzying array of affordable leisure alternatives. And the apathy and indifference of local politicians, and many thousands of potential local fans.

Not to mention the mounting costs of maintaining Cliftonhill, the club’s home since Christmas Day 1920. All things considered, the famous old club has not had its troubles to seek. But Albion Rovers fans care passionately about their club. Relatively few in number they may be, but they more than compensate for that with their commitment to the cause. In a cynical, money-obsessed and television-dominated football world, Albion Rovers stand for old-fashioned values, and the dedication and loyalty of successive generations of Coatbridge fans and directors has never wavered. Nor has their belief that the club’s future lies in being a vibrant and vital community club, at the very heart of Coatbridge life.

But these are tough times for Scottish football. Recent upheavals in our national game have hit Rovers particularly hard. The Coatbridge club has suffered more than most from the downturn in sponsorship and advertising revenues, a situation made worse by the loss of the lucrative local derbies against Airdrie United. All within the context of the worst recession to hit Scotland for many years.

The Rovers board has done a great job in turning round the club’s finances in recent years. The club’s directors have done their level best to provide manager Todd Lumsden with as big a player budget as possible. But when it comes to signing the calibre of player who could play a big part in maintaining Albion Rovers Division 2 status, Rovers just can’t compete with the relative financial muscle of many rival clubs.

Which is where the Albion Rovers Squad Fund (ARSF) comes in.

Reflecting on our stay in SFL 3 last season, Division One this campaign, various cup games and all, has it actually been determined how much money has been handed down to the ailing lower league sides due to our predicament?

I would reckon that e.g. Albion Rovers' would be safe from nigh anything thanks to next month's QF tie, as we hand half of our money to them under cup rules?

Enforced stay or not, I wonder whether the former SFL 3 sides, nor the Division One teams have anything to complain about?

i suspect albion have been given two games against us in the cup deliberately having missed out on us in the league.

I can't see it mate. If there was any sort of conspiracy regarding the Scottish Cup draws, then I think we would have ended up with a tougher QF draw and an away draw too. Albion Rovers have just been lucky, but then you could even argue that if they were REALLY lucky they would have got an easier QF draw at home with the prospect of a SF at Ibrox...

I know one of one of the ground staff a Berwick Rangers, he's a bluenose. He told me playing Rangers twice was like a lottery win for them, further he told me of the great reception their directors and staff had from Ally and his staff and our club. Ok he was probably star struck and a wee bit biased but he is an honest Bear and i could see it was from the heart.

I know one of one of the ground staff a Berwick Rangers, he's a bluenose. He told me playing Rangers twice was like a lottery win for them, further he told me of the great reception their directors and staff had from Ally and his staff and our club. Ok he was probably star struck and a wee bit biased but he is an honest Bear and i could see it was from the heart.

They cleared £50,000 from the two games although their police costs were ridiculously high. Their Chairman is a bluenose too.