Golden Graham is the man to unearth silver and bank stability for Rangers

Derek Johnstone:

SO much has happened on and off the park since Rangers were put into administration by their former owner Craig Whyte two years ago this week.

The Ibrox club have gone through three different chairmen and three different chief executives.

A great deal of money has been brought into the club. Unfortunately, a great deal of money has gone out of it as well.

Never mind the £22million or so that was raised in the IPO back at the end of 2012. There have been two tranches of season ticket money taken in that I believe were worth in the region of £18m.

With all of the other revenue, from sponsorship deals and other commerical intitiatives, it is scandalous that the club is now running out of money.

A lot of people have walked away with many times what they invested bulging out of their back pockets. They have plundered the club.

I feel sorry for the latest chief executive, Graham Wallace. He is the man charged with sorting out the mess his predecessors made.

But I am and always have been a glass half-full kind of person.

And I do think Rangers have, at long last, got the right person in place to sort out the situation.

For the first time in a long time I can see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Graham is a football man. He has experience of working at a major club, Manchester City, in the past.

It is the first time in many years that somebody like that has been in a position of authority at Ibrox.

Graham has done and said all the right things since being appointed back in November.

He has asked for 120 days to identify and then address the issues affecting the club. He is currently working 24/7 to do that.

If anybody can turn things around he can.

The most important factor throughout what has, without doubt, been the most difficult two years in the history of the club has been the backing of the supporters.

It is so vital that they remain firmly behind the club now and continue to buy season tickets in numbers and purchase club merchandise.

I would hope the fans can see that in Graham Wallace they have the right man to take the club forward.

He is speaking to a broad cross-section of the support and keeping them informed of what is happening at the club. In the past, they were kept at a distance and that was wrong.

The paying customers can be certain their hard-earned will not - as has, alas, been the case in the past - go right out of the window with Graham at the helm.

He knows what the club can and cannot afford to spend. He knows that there are going to have to be changes. And he will, in time, make them.

I also think that Rangers needs fresh investment. From Glasgow, from London, from the Middle East, from wherever. But I am sure club officials are looking at that.

I would certainly believe what he tells us and not others who delight in trying to run the club down.

Despite the difficulties Rangers is facing, it is still a massive club, with a huge fan base, great facilities and enormous potential.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangerscomment/derek-johnstone-golden-graham-is-the-man-to-unearth-silver-and-bank-152040n.23426812

My cynical self just commented: the above was written to fill the column.

I put that cynical self back into the cupboard again, but essentially one could only hope that DJ, one of our legends, has spoken to Wallace and got some assurances of how the club will be run under his guidance. Which prompted the legend to write this assuring article. For the time being, the jury is very much out on the current board and we can't do much else than wait.

On a sidenote, much like with Malcolm Murray, David Somers had his say when taking over and then apparently fell into hybernation mode. Is he still about? Or does he fly around the globe looking for investors? Anyone?

That reads to me as DJ saying we're in soapy bubble, but in a glass half-full kinda way.

DJ indeed liked his glass more than half full. I know as I filled it for a while. Great player though. Crap commentator.