Johnston urges King to spell out Rangers investment plans to make Ibrox return.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2559261/Johnston-spells-Rangers-investment-plans-bid-make-Ibrox-return.html

Former Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston has urged Dave King to secure fan backing for an Ibrox return by revealing his investment plans in detail.

Johnston served on the board alongside King during the latter part of Sir David Murray's tenure and has no doubt the South African-based businessman would be good for Rangers.

He feels, however, that King could bring vital public pressure to bear if he states precisely what he is willing to do to help the cash-strapped club.

King reiterated this week that the current Ibrox hierarchy had refused to engage with him despite his persistent offers of potential investment.

Johnston backs his idea that the money should be used to buy new shares, therefore diluting the existing powerbase, but also believes greater clarity would help win over doubters in a fanbase left wearied by two years of turmoil following administration.

'I know Dave very well and he plays his cards very close to his chest,' Johnston told Sportsmail.

'The problem right now is that people don't really know what he is willing to do or has the ability to do.

'Dave needs to be more transparent by saying: "Look, if this, this and this happens, I'll do this, this and this."

'More Rangers fans will gravitate towards it if Dave is more specific about what he is willing to do if specific conditions are met.

'Dave will have figured out that his agenda is in the best interests of Rangers. I say: ?That's fine Dave, but what is it??

'He certainly has the right mindset. I have absolutely no doubt that what he wants to do will be in the best interests of Rangers Football Club.

'But for him to garner the support that he needs to make this all happen, he has to be a bit more transparent.'

King, who lost a £20million investment in the club during Murray's reign, has no interest in buying out existing shareholders. The December 2012 Initial Public Offering launched shares at 70p, but the price has steadily dropped to around 26p.

'Dave has quite clearly taken a position that I agree with,' added Johnston. 'You don't want to be buying shares where the money is just going to line the pocket of previous shareholders.

'If you are going to buy into the club, you want 100 per cent of that money to go to operating capital and for business development. Simple as that.

'The concern I'm sure Dave has is that there are still major shareholders at Rangers who are financial institutions looking for a return on their investment. The most important thing for them is to get out having made money from it.

'The way the share price is just now, that will be challenging. But whoever these investors may be, and there is scepticism about some of their identities, they are in it for a return on their money.'

Edited by the gunslinger

Dunno why they need to repeat this "lost 20m" garbage time and again. He spent it (as he could) on the team and the club's infrastructure back then. The team returned this with trophies and European runs, the infrastructure is still there. Does anyone who bought STs back then lost his "investment" into club and infrastructure as well?

Dunno why they need to repeat this "lost 20m" garbage time and again. He spent it (as he could) on the team and the club's infrastructure back then. The team returned this with trophies and European runs, the infrastructure is still there. Does anyone who bought STs back then lost his "investment" into club and infrastructure as well?

probably because greenvwas forever going on about how much he had invested compared to others. 5ok it seems.

buying a season ticket entitles you to see games. they saw the games as contracted. it's different.

Buying a season ticket is a product which you do not get any return on. Making an investment is different, as GS says.

King didn't spend any of the £20m, the club did. He did lose his £20m.

People that bought for 70p a share can kiss that dough goodbye. I can't see a profit ever being made on that, unless of course, they hold a rich fan to ransom. This makes you wonder how they are getting a return on their investment. The power is what they were buying. The power to appoint their own board, and run us to within an inch of our existence again.

Bar making all the scumbags very rich men, I'm not sure what King can do. It's made much more difficult if they can't even be bothered to lift a phone. King could ride down Edmiston Drive on a King Billy horse, with fivers firing out his arse, and some of us would still be telling him to 'put up or shut up'.