Just the 22 goals for Commons this season. He was a quality player in the championship as well. The season he left Derby he was one of the top scorers in the championship at the time.

He is a cracking player and anyone who says he isn't is simply being bitter because of where he plays now. I was so excited when i read we were signing him. We thought it was done, articles were written, even Walter Smith admitted it was all but wrapped up and couldn't wait to make him a Rangers player. Losing out to Celtic for him was a sore one but ultimately didn't stop us winning the title under Walter. It was typical of the lack of ambition from our club and constraints we had to work under whilst the bank were running the show. Similar happened with Joe Ledley too. We refused to match Celtics ambition.

He is a cracking player and anyone who says he isn't is simply being bitter because of where he plays now. I was so excited when i read we were signing him. We thought it was done, articles were written, even Walter Smith admitted it was all but wrapped up and couldn't wait to make him a Rangers player. Losing out to Celtic for him was a sore one but ultimately didn't stop us winning the title under Walter. It was typical of the lack of ambition from our club and constraints we had to work under whilst the bank were running the show. Similar happened with Joe Ledley too. We refused to match Celtics ambition.

Sorry cannot agree lads. Average player playing in an average league. Never been a fan of his. Can't remember us being interested in Ledley either mind you.

Short memory then - opening day of the season 2011 at Ibrox u distinctly remember Davis and Edu being second to every ball.

As for Commons he must be the most overrated player ever to kick a ball in Scotland. A middle of the road unfit Englishman who was a nobody in the championship.

Kevin kyle destroyed us that day causing weir and boogie all sorts of problems. Should we sign him.

Sorry cannot agree lads. Average player playing in an average league. Never been a fan of his. Can't remember us being interested in Ledley either mind you.

Yes we wanted Ledley, his £25k a week wage demands scared us off. Celtic gave him it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Cardiff-City-face-losing-out-on-3m-if-Glasgow-Rangers-sign-Joe-Ledley-article442151.html

Scottish giants Rangers have joined the chase for Joe Ledley – leaving *Cardiff City facing a *crippling £3million loss on their Wales star.

Ledley becomes a free agent next month, but because he is still seven months short of his 24th birthday, Cardiff would claim *compensation if he moved to a club in the Premier League or Football League.

He has already played nearly 300 games for *Cardiff and Wales and the club would demand at least £3m.

But if he moves to a club outside FA jurisdiction – even just across the *border in Scotland – that system is scrapped.

Under UEFA rules, City would be lucky to scrape £150,000 for him.

Rangers could tempt him with a get-out clause in his contract, allowing him to return to England after just a single season in Scotland.

It is a massive concern for Cardiff, who still hope local boy Ledley will *remain with them.

But if he does go, as is almost certain, Cardiff will be *desperate to see him join long-time *admirers Stoke, *Everton, Newcastle , Wigan or

West Ham, who are also interested.

And another story on it

RANGERS have launched a dramatic bid to land Cardiff City's £8million-rated midfielder Joe Ledley - for NOTHING.

SunSport can reveal Ibrox boss Walter Smith has identified the Wales international as one of his top summer targets.

Rising star Ledley, 23, will quit the Bluebirds following their defeat to Blackpool in Saturday's Championship play-off final.

A host of Premier League clubs, led by Europa League finalists Fulham, are set to pounce for the highly-rated playmaker.

Smith is a huge admirer of the 27-times capped midfielder and is prepared to make him one of his highest earners at Ibrox.

Gers expect to free up around £50,000 a week from their wage bill by letting go the likes of Kris Boyd, DaMarcus Beasley, Nacho Novo, Stevie Smith and possibly even Double-winning skipper David Weir.

Ledley would command around HALF that sum, with his demands likely to be closer to the £25,000-a-week mark.

But the powerbrokers at Lloyds Bank could be persuaded to give the deal the green light as they will view Ledley as a player who could be sold on at a huge profit in the future.

It would be a major coup for Gers if they could tempt Ledley into quitting English football. He is regarded as a bright young talent with a massive future south of the border.

However the lure of Champions League football with the SPL champs could prove to be an attraction for a player who has been watched by Gers assistant Ally McCoist on several occasions.

Ledley, who scored Cardiff's second goal in the 3-2 defeat by Blackpool at Wembley, will not be short of big-money offers this summer.

Long-time admirers Wigan made a whopping £8.2m bid in January which was immediately rejected by the Bluebirds.

But that written offer means clubs in England would face a transfer tribunal to sign him - with his market value down in black and white.

West Ham, Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers are all also monitoring Ledley's situation, but fear being stung with a massive transfer fee.

Gers, on the other hand, would not have to pay a penny to land him as Ledley is still only 23 and can move across the border with no fee going to Cardiff.

http://www.thescotti...-up-Ledley.html

Celtic yet again proving their financial advantage over us. Until we can bridge that gap i fear we will forever be living on a short term fix basis and playing second fiddle to them.

We also apparently knocked back Wanyama before he went to Celtic although the press say he knocked us back.

Yes we wanted Ledley, his £25k a week wage demands scared us off. Celtic gave him it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Cardiff-City-face-losing-out-on-3m-if-Glasgow-Rangers-sign-Joe-Ledley-article442151.html

Scottish giants Rangers have joined the chase for Joe Ledley – leaving *Cardiff City facing a *crippling £3million loss on their Wales star.

Ledley becomes a free agent next month, but because he is still seven months short of his 24th birthday, Cardiff would claim *compensation if he moved to a club in the Premier League or Football League.

He has already played nearly 300 games for *Cardiff and Wales and the club would demand at least £3m.

But if he moves to a club outside FA jurisdiction – even just across the *border in Scotland – that system is scrapped.

Under UEFA rules, City would be lucky to scrape £150,000 for him.

Rangers could tempt him with a get-out clause in his contract, allowing him to return to England after just a single season in Scotland.

It is a massive concern for Cardiff, who still hope local boy Ledley will *remain with them.

But if he does go, as is almost certain, Cardiff will be *desperate to see him join long-time *admirers Stoke, *Everton, Newcastle , Wigan or

West Ham, who are also interested.

And another story on it

RANGERS have launched a dramatic bid to land Cardiff City's £8million-rated midfielder Joe Ledley - for NOTHING.

SunSport can reveal Ibrox boss Walter Smith has identified the Wales international as one of his top summer targets.

Rising star Ledley, 23, will quit the Bluebirds following their defeat to Blackpool in Saturday's Championship play-off final.

A host of Premier League clubs, led by Europa League finalists Fulham, are set to pounce for the highly-rated playmaker.

Smith is a huge admirer of the 27-times capped midfielder and is prepared to make him one of his highest earners at Ibrox.

Gers expect to free up around £50,000 a week from their wage bill by letting go the likes of Kris Boyd, DaMarcus Beasley, Nacho Novo, Stevie Smith and possibly even Double-winning skipper David Weir.

Ledley would command around HALF that sum, with his demands likely to be closer to the £25,000-a-week mark.

But the powerbrokers at Lloyds Bank could be persuaded to give the deal the green light as they will view Ledley as a player who could be sold on at a huge profit in the future.

It would be a major coup for Gers if they could tempt Ledley into quitting English football. He is regarded as a bright young talent with a massive future south of the border.

However the lure of Champions League football with the SPL champs could prove to be an attraction for a player who has been watched by Gers assistant Ally McCoist on several occasions.

Ledley, who scored Cardiff's second goal in the 3-2 defeat by Blackpool at Wembley, will not be short of big-money offers this summer.

Long-time admirers Wigan made a whopping £8.2m bid in January which was immediately rejected by the Bluebirds.

But that written offer means clubs in England would face a transfer tribunal to sign him - with his market value down in black and white.

West Ham, Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers are all also monitoring Ledley's situation, but fear being stung with a massive transfer fee.

Gers, on the other hand, would not have to pay a penny to land him as Ledley is still only 23 and can move across the border with no fee going to Cardiff.

http://www.thescotti...-up-Ledley.html

Celtic yet again proving their financial advantage over us. Until we can bridge that gap i fear we will forever be living on a short term fix basis and playing second fiddle to them.

We also apparently knocked back Wanyama before he went to Celtic although the press say he knocked us back.

What we need is a good scouting network, as celtic have shown you don't always have to spend big to get a decent player.

I have no doubt whatsoever that what we read about transfers in newspapers is utter gobshite.

The greater part is invented and manipulatively thrown out there by money hungry agents - whom I would be perfectly happy to have propped up against a wall.

Figuratively of course.

A large part is also construed by the media, feeding on the scraps of information they are fed, and eager to maintain their sales and their belief that they still bring "news" to Joe Public.

In between this unholy alliance, we have the Clubs, who alternate between basking in the afterglow of receiving the news that they are linked with Player X, licking their lips at the thought that their latest 17 year old sensation is worth 15 million, or testing the media with another lure in order to drum up season ticket sales.

As an example, CFC take this to high extremes - witnessed recently when they were linked to Zlatan Ibrahimović yet wisely changed their mind in favour of that Griffiths chappie.

Why we lap it up - or even more, believe it - is a sublime mystery I have yet to get to the bottom of.

What we need is a good scouting network, as celtic have shown you don't always have to spend big to get a decent player.

I agree in the long run scouting is essential but we were offered Wanyama, Ledley and Commons and couldn't offer them what Celtic could. We had the chance to get those 3 players for less than the fee we paid for Kyle Lafferty. It's whoever is making those decisions that needs looked at unless that person is no longer at the club then we must learn from their mistakes but we have shown no signs of learning from past mistakes these last 3 years. The more things change at Rangers the more they stay the same.

I have no doubt whatsoever that what we read about transfers in newspapers is utter gobshite.

The greater part is invented and manipulatively thrown out there by money hungry agents - whom I would be perfectly happy to have propped up against a wall.

Figuratively of course.

A large part is also construed by the media, feeding on the scraps of information they are fed, and eager to maintain their sales and their belief that they still bring "news" to Joe Public.

In between this unholy alliance, we have the Clubs, who alternate between basking in the afterglow of receiving the news that they are linked with Player X, licking their lips at the thought that their latest 17 year old sensation is worth 15 million, or testing the media with another lure in order to drum up season ticket sales.

As an example, CFC take this to high extremes - witnessed recently when they were linked to Zlatan Ibrahimović yet wisely changed their mind in favour of that Griffiths chappie.

Why we lap it up - or even more, believe it - is a sublime mystery I have yet to get to the bottom of.

No one believed the Zlatan story, no one i knew anyway even though the article had quotes from the player, it was never on the cards. Ledley to Rangers though, what is so unbelievable about that? He ended up at Celtic so hardly outwith the realms of possibility. If were not interested in such a player for free who could have made us a profit then we would not be doing our jobs right. As bad as losing out to Celtic for players like Commons, Wanyama and Ledley is, it would have been worse had we not been interested in them at all, which was apparently the case with Wanyama,sadly. That wasn't a newspaper story either!

No one believed the Zlatan story, no one i knew anyway even though the article had quotes from the player, it was never on the cards. Ledley to Rangers though, what is so unbelievable about that? He ended up at Celtic so hardly outwith the realms of possibility. If were not interested in such a player for free who could have made us a profit then we would not be doing our jobs right. As bad as losing out to Celtic for players like Commons, Wanyama and Ledley is, it would have been worse had we not been interested in them at all, which was apparently the case with Wanyama,sadly. That wasn't a newspaper story either!

I see your point SC, but the reality these days is about wages, and I seriously doubt that Celtic or Rangers will be in the market for a team full of £25,000 per week players anytime soon, if ever.

Despite careful media manipulation, Celtic are undoubtably downsizing.

As a matter of interest, do you remember the 3-2 Lovendkrands final in 2002 between us and them? Despite Timothy's crap about our financial doping, the number of ca £40,000 per week players on the pitch was staggering.

I don't see that scenario coming back.

I see your point SC, but the reality these days is about wages, and I seriously doubt that Celtic or Rangers will be in the market for a team full of £25,000 per week players anytime soon, if ever.

Despite careful media manipulation, Celtic are undoubtably downsizing.

As a matter of interest, do you remember the 3-2 Lovendkrands final in 2002 between us and them? Despite Timothy's crap about our financial doping, the number of ca £40,000 per week players on the pitch was staggering.

I don't see that scenario coming back.

I agree with that mate.