I would say it is what they are taught at school. they are taught that they are an apart race and learn to stick together and we are not really busy with those kind of lessons.

Observing from this side of the pond, it almost appears like a have/havenot thing. We have it, they want it; they're taking it we don't care. Reid had said a while back that the time has come for them not to sit at the back of the bus anymore. It seems to me that if the non-catholic population does not waken up to this power grab then there won't be a bus.

Where is a 'John Knox' type of leader/personality when you need them to stir the apathetic population to the required awareness before the culture is gone completely.

The Republic of Scotland, indeed.

Wow. This thread has gone nuts.

Who the Dickens is 'we'? Protestants? And that covers 'us', does it, since we all march off to church of a Sunday, do we?

And 'we' 'have it', presumably power, do we?

This is a secular country, where religion is dying a quick and long overdue death. It's only stuff like these generalisations which keep its weak heartbeat going, desperate links to Rangers and celtc which administer the defibrillator of life to it.

'We' don't have anything, and neither do 'they'.

Wow. This thread has gone nuts.

Who the Dickens is 'we'? Protestants? And that covers 'us', does it, since we all march off to church of a Sunday, do we?

And 'we' 'have it', presumably power, do we?

This is a secular country, where religion is dying a quick and long overdue death. It's only stuff like these generalisations which keep its weak heartbeat going, desperate links to Rangers and celtc which administer the defibrillator of life to it.

'We' don't have anything, and neither do 'they'.

Andy I do understand and agree with you mostly. For my part, Religion should be separate from state. It has no business in deciding our laws, especially when so many religious institutions are/have been corrupt in one form or another.

I don't want catholic heads replaced by protestant heads. I want people with the good, fair ideas in charge. Religion has no place, it's a private personal matter imo.

Completely agree on the whole 'we' thing too. We are not all protestant.

No disrespect to anyone, but monotheistic religion has bred and still breeds a very nasty variant of intolerance.* Against others, and against their own as well. It is hardly more vibrant than in Northern Ireland and also between the OF support when it comes to Catholics and Protestants, where politics and religion have been welded together for decades. It beggars belief that there is still an essentially sectarian school system about in this day and age, especially when you can actually see what it "breeds".

*No ifs and buts or pointing at other kinds of religion. You can go back 1.500 years of European history and will find Christian (and later on Muslim) intolerance nearly every century. I'm not here to blame or condemn them, but I would expect that either side of the modern day Christian divide "know their history" and act as if they too had entered the 21st century.

Andy, I'm afraid while we have separate schooling for one (or more) religions in this country we cannot describe ourselves as Secular. The Catholic Church is still very politically active and wields a fair bit of power and influence, which is exactly why the SNP consult with it's leaders on a regular basis.

Andy, I'm afraid while we have separate schooling for one (or more) religions in this country we cannot describe ourselves as Secular. The Catholic Church is still very politically active and wields a fair bit of power and influence, which is exactly why the SNP consult with it's leaders on a regular basis.

The SNP does not "consult with its leaders on a regular basis".

The Scottish Government may, and indeed should, "consult with its leaders on a regular basis", just as they will consult with dozens of other interest groups on a regular basis.

As the government of a democratic country, that's their job.

The SNP does not "consult with its leaders on a regular basis".

The Scottish Government may, and indeed should, "consult with its leaders on a regular basis", just as they will consult with dozens of other interest groups on a regular basis.

As the government of a democratic country, that's their job.

The discussion was about secularism not democracy and you've just made my point.

Dr Waiton: "This act makes it illegal to say anything offensive at football based on the say so of ‘right thinking people".

We all know that the behaviour of football fans - not just us - is sometimes tasteless and crude, but this legislation is an obscenity and should be totally opposed.

Almost all of us are far more at risk of arrest at or near a football environment than anywhere else, and a conviction for a 'sectarian' offence could mean curtains for a promising career.

The Celtic support is feeding off this as only it can, and adopting its default victim position, but if this law is not binned, an element within the Celtic support is going to become acutely political - and not give way. They expected us to be rounded up in hordes while they laughed loudly from a safe distance, but it hasn't worked out that way.

This law may cause far more trouble than it's worth. The Scottish government should have steered well clear.

This law should be binned. It is 'mince'.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The discussion was about secularism not democracy and you've just made my point.

Then your point was that a democratic government should engage in consultations with the various sections of the society it governs, even those with whom it may disagree fundamentally on various issue? Good.

I don't see how any normal, right-thinking person could have an issue with that.

Then your point was that a democratic government should engage in consultations with the various sections of the society it governs, even those with whom it may disagree fundamentally on various issue? Good.

I don't see how any normal, right-thinking person could have an issue with that.

Secularism means complete separation of religion and politics (and education). It's inaccurate to describe a country as secular when it's government are engaging with religious groups and leaders and allow those groups to influence policy which it clearly does in Scotland.