ALLY McCoist today urged Rangers fans to back the current Ibrox board.....

they own the club by any definition.

if rangers introduce a membership scheme where the members don't at very least get to choose who runs the club then it's nothing more than a con designed to get money into the club and make the spivs richer.

Ask any Hamburg or Bayern fan how much they own their club then.

Ex-players and managers are the last people fans should be looking to when it comes to the wellbeing of their clubs.

They are not solely required to look after the well-being of the club or even run it business-wise. Not that I said that, mind you. They are though required for the ordinary fan to get buying into a membership scheme in the first place! Maybe you want to look who leads one of the more well-known German club's board? Some names might have been heard beyond Hadrian's Wall too, I assume. And they were - at the time when appointed - not exactly marked or known as financial gurus at any stretch of imagination.

Ask any Hamburg or Bayern fan how much they own their club then.

They are not solely required to look after the well-being of the club or even run it business-wise. Not that I said that, mind you. They are though required for the ordinary fan to get buying into a membership scheme in the first place! Maybe you want to look who leads one of the more well-known German club's board? Some names might have been heard beyond Hadrian's Wall too, I assume. And they were - at the time when appointed - not exactly marked or known as financial gurus at any stretch of imagination.

Our club has been through a torrid time in recent years.

What ex-player distinguished himself during our crisis? What former player or manager dared to say a bad word against Sir David Murray? What ex-player or former manager provided any kind of leadership for the Rangers support?

John Brown tried but his inarticulate efforts fell on deaf ears.

These people have had their day in the sun at Rangers, and while we remember them for what they did on the pitch, we should not be depending on them to guide or advise us away from it unless they possess unique talents that will be of some benefit to us - and it's clear after their silence and inaction over the past few years, not a single one of them does.

Within the Rangers support, flawed as it is, we have a far greater depth of talent than is available to us from a rather small pool of former players and ex-managers.

We're grown men and women, for goodness sake - let's leave the hero worship to the youngsters.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Can't stand the fans and no time for ex-players...what do you get out of following Rangers?

I don't need Colin Jackson to tell me what to do.

As for the fans, imperfect though we are, I believe in fan ownership.

Do you?

If not, why not?

We're grown men and women, for goodness sake - let's leave the hero worship to the youngsters.

A) Our fans essentially stood idly by and did not exactly challenge SDM's rule or Whyte's coming. Are they any better than the players who where here and got paid for their job?

B) Given the factionialism amongst our modern day support (just look - for starters - at this board and its 50 different opinions on all things Rangers), how do you think to get them under one umbrella, not to mention to settle on one bunch of people leading "fan-ownership-in-whatever-incarnation" board?

C) I gave you a perfect example how former players can be utilized to at least get a membership scheme going. They need not to do the finances or legal or all the orga stuff, but at least could unite the support to sign up in the first place. Much like Hoeneß, Rummenigge, and Beckenbauer did and do. Then you would have to find some financially sound brains to govern it on behalf of the members - much like it is done in Spain and Germany - and with that steady income you can challenge for a position on the board and eventually turn the club over to the support.

One can harp about fan ownership all along. Unless you have a sound idea to put the Limited Company stuff with shares and stock marketing out of power, there will be no such thing. The RST is doing all it can to get as many shares as possible, but if you have (single) people able to buy millions of shares in one go, it looks to be very much in vain. I for one doubt that you will get that many Bears paying their money for shares in an attempt to turn the club towards the fans. In any case, IMHO a membership scheme will at least see money generated by fans go into the club, not the company ... which is what Bears will want most right now.

I don't need Colin Jackson to tell me what to do.

As for the fans, imperfect though we are, I believe in fan ownership.

Do you?

If not, why not?

You'll struggle to find where I mentioned asking Colin Jackson to tell me what to do. Figurehead, yes, club legend centre back yes, omniscient guru and font of all wisdom, no.

That's your choice.

Not really, in practice.

Because of people like you, frankly - you seem intolerant and a bit extremist.

You'll struggle to find where I mentioned asking Colin Jackson to tell me what to do. Figurehead, yes, club legend centre back yes, omniscient guru and font of all wisdom, no.

That's your choice.

Not really, in practice.

Pot, kettle.

A) Our fans essentially stood idly by and did not exactly challenge SDM's rule or Whyte's coming. Are they any better than the players who where here and got paid for their job?

B) Given the factionialism amongst our modern day support (just look - for starters - at this board and its 50 different opinions on all things Rangers), how do you think to get them under one umbrella, not to mention to settle on one bunch of people leading "fan-ownership-in-whatever-incarnation" board?

C) I gave you a perfect example how former players can be utilized to at least get a membership scheme going. They need not to do the finances or legal or all the orga stuff, but at least could unite the support to sign up in the first place. Much like Hoeneß, Rummenigge, and Beckenbauer did and do. Then you would have to find some financially sound brains to govern it on behalf of the members - much like it is done in Spain and Germany - and with that steady income you can challenge for a position on the board and eventually turn the club over to the support.

One can harp about fan ownership all along. Unless you have a sound idea to put the Limited Company stuff with shares and stock marketing out of power, there will be no such thing. The RST is doing all it can to get as many shares as possible, but if you have (single) people able to buy millions of shares in one go, it looks to be very much in vain. I for one doubt that you will get that many Bears paying their money for shares in an attempt to turn the club towards the fans. In any case, IMHO a membership scheme will at least see money generated by fans go into the club, not the company ... which is what Bears will want most right now.

There's a word for accommodating a range of different views: democracy. It doesn't matter that the likes of you and me disagree. With every member of the club having one vote, any president we elect will have a legitimacy that is entirely absent at the moment.

Would you rather have a head of the club who has bought his way to the top table or a president who has been endorsed by a majority of us - and who will be accountable to us?

This new 'membership' scheme won't fulfil its potential for a number of reasons, and one of them is that thousands of ordinary Rangers fans have little or no trust in the Rangers board to function in an acceptable manner.

As long as we allow the club to be owned by a procession of self-imposed 'custodians', we will be unlikely to see the support pulling in the same direction.

And we don't need Ally McCoist or Walter Smith to show us the way forward. To be honest, neither of them have ever shown any initiative in creating a better way to proceed. It's up to us to ditch a culture that sees us frequently ducking responsibility, and instead adopting a new way where the club can pursue excellence with democracy and accountability as essential priorities.

That's your choice.

Not really, in practice.

Re-read your piece about Colin Jackson.

You certainly don't come across as intolerant or extremist - you give the impression of being as infatuated as a schoolgirl with a pop star crush and as well-anchored in your opinions as a straw in the wind.

Arf! From 'comes across as intelligent' to 'a schoolgirl with a pop star crush and as well-anchored in your opinions as a straw in the wind' in less than 48 hours. Not bad going!

I must be honest and confess I could not give a jot about anyone opinion of me outside of my family, so all that is so much piss and wind to me. But as a salesman for fan ownership, you really suck.