Ally McCoist: Rangers have far more to worry about .....

.........than Celtic getting Ten In A Row.

THE IBROX boss knows that Celtic reaching that much sought after target would hurt, but there's a lot more going on in Govan to occupy his thoughts.

ALLY McCOIST insists Rangers have more to worry about than stopping Celtic winning 10 in a row.

The Ibrox manager has refused to get caught up in the storm created by Dave King’s decision to go to war with the board.

The South Africa-based businessman claimed if the current regime weren’t ousted, Celtic would break through the famous nine-title record held jointly by both clubs. However, while that would pain McCoist, he insists the beleaguered club have bigger issues to address.

The Rangers boss is one of only three Gers with a full set of nine medals from their run between 1989 and 1997, alongside Richard Gough and Ian Ferguson.

And he said: “Of course it would hurt – but for the next 24 months there’s nothing I can do about it.

“In the grand scheme of things our concerns are very much the last 24 months and the next 24 months. That’s the most important thing.

“We can’t forget what happened, we can’t let it happen again, and we have to keep rebuilding.

“Do we have more to worry about than a statistic? Yes but I don’t want to use it flippantly, as if I’m not doing my job.

“Of course I don’t want Celtic to go to 10, it would be crazy to say that. But at the same time I think our club has far more important issues coming up.

“We’ll have to improve incredibly to get back because it’s safe to say unless there’s a dramatic change in Scottish football, Celtic are everyone’s favourites for the foreseeable future.

“We’re miles away if you’re talking about winning the top flight.”

McCoist insists he won’t be involving himself in the politics of the club, despite having done so on several occasions over the past two years.

He said: “The last few times of getting involved, we haven’t had a board, we haven’t had a chief executive, we’ve had no real stability or structure.

“We have that know so they can deal with the business side of it and I’ll deal with the football.

“I know my responsibilities and I know the fans look for leadership. But there are now members of the board who will also have to lead. I think the fans will appreciate that.”

But supporters groups issued a vote of no confidence in the board on Thursday and backed King.

They also supported his call for a trust to be set up that would collect season-ticket fees and drip feed the money to the regime week by week.

Chief executive Graham Wallace responded by saying that threat was “damaging” Rangers but King rejected his claim yesterday.

In a statement, King said: “I can only express bemusement at the board’s response to myself and the fans.

“The board states that our statements are an attempt to undermine the club. That is an insult to fans who have nothing other than the club’s interest at heart.

“They (the board) ask for trust but don’t recognise that trust is a mutual relationship and requires transparency. What the board is really asking of fans is to have blind faith – not trust.

“This board has not earned that right and in fact has repeatedly demonstrated the opposite.”

King also raised doubts about who was really pulling the strings behind the scenes and claimed former Ibrox chief Charles Green could still be a major player.

He said: “It is quite possible that Green is still de facto controlling the club. Certainly the existing directors have a minuscule equity stake and yet won’t disclose the true power behind the throne.”

Rangers needed a last-gasp Lee McCulloch penalty to see off East Fife 1-0 yesterday and move a step closer to the League One title.

They can now wrap up the championship in their next league game against Airdrie on March 12

if Dunfermline fail to win against Stenhousemuir next weekend.

But next up for Gers is a Scottish Cup clash with Albion Rovers and McCoist would take a repeat of yesterday’s poor display so long as Gers go through.

He said: “If you offered me the same result next week against Albion I’d take it. There’s less emphasis put on performance in cup games because you only get one bite at it.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ally-mccoist-rangers-far-more-3198056

Are you pair contractually obliged to swoop in predictable judgement of everything Ally says or does? You just don't quite get our situation do you? You just don't get it. Ally is doing a fine job when you consider the situation, which you guys seem unable to do.

Why do I bite? Probably because I love Rangers and so does Ally. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. I'd wager you would pish yourselves and go home. Ally has retained dignity and indeed the respect of the majority of supporters for what he has done and continues to do in the name of Rangers. I will end with my usual question. Give me the name of an alternative manager who would be willing to come in, right now and do a better job. Willing to drop what they're doing in come into the shambles NOW. GIVE ME A FUCKING NAME. GO.

Are you pair contractually obliged to swoop in predictable judgement of everything Ally says or does? You just don't quite get our situation do you? You just don't get it. Ally is doing a fine job when you consider the situation, which you guys seem unable to do.

Why do I bite? Probably because I love Rangers and so does Ally. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. I'd wager you would pish yourselves and go home. Ally has retained dignity and indeed the respect of the majority of supporters for what he has done and continues to do in the name of Rangers. I will end with my usual question. Give me the name of an alternative manager who would be willing to come in, right now and do a better job. Willing to drop what they're doing in come into the shambles NOW. GIVE ME A FUCKING NAME. GO.

I think I've said this many times and it remains the only answer for me:

Under normal circumstances, I doubt may fans would be backing Ally after three years of inconsistency. However, given the ongoing political situation at the club during the majority of this time, I'm glad he's there over someone that would otherwise not have an attachment to the club.

That's not to excuse the guy from fair criticism (of which I have plenty) but just that sometimes we need someone of a bona fide Rangers standing to retain our interest where it matters. The same point could be made for someone like McCulloch to a smaller extent.

If only we had someone of a similar mind in the actual boardroom.

I think I've said this many times and it remains the only answer for me:

Under normal circumstances, I doubt may fans would be backing Ally after three years of inconsistency. However, given the ongoing political situation at the club during the majority of this time, I'm glad he's there over someone that would otherwise not have an attachment to the club.

That's not to excuse the guy from fair criticism (of which I have plenty) but just that sometimes we need someone of a bona fide Rangers standing to retain our interest where it matters. The same point could be made for someone like McCulloch to a smaller extent.

If only we had someone of a similar mind in the actual boardroom.

Agreed Frankie.

However, when these present troubles are behind us - and they will be - I don't think Ally is savvy enough to blast through the Championship and have us competing for Europe, let alone playing in it.

As I've said before, I would like to see a role for Ally within Ibrox. However we truly need an inspired management team.

Agreed Frankie.

However, when these present troubles are behind us - and they will be - I don't think Ally is savvy enough to blast through the Championship and have us competing for Europe, let alone playing in it.

As I've said before, I would like to see a role for Ally within Ibrox. However we truly need an inspired management team.

Mate, I wanted Ally sacked after Malmo... ;)

Like I say, we can do better throughout the club but the pressure on the manager must be extremely high; well paid via wages/shares or not.