Afer 11 minutes of faffing about , I am now the proud member of club 1872 plus I'm member number2028 , superb from the bears so far hopefully its a massive success

That's a bit worrying as I just joined - 4 days after you - and it is still under 2,400

That's a bit worrying as I just joined - 4 days after you - and it is still under 2,400

It's quite simple really - online fans only represent a very small portion of the fanbase. Until the scheme goes offline and in a big way it will struggle to obtain large numbers of subscribers. And, even then, that will prove difficult due to apathy and the independent/unofficial nature of such projects. Finally, add in austerity and the club's ongoing financial problems, then such investments are a big risk for many fans - even at a fiver a month!

I remember during my time on the RST board that when we launched GerSave (itself imperfect) we had radio adverts, widespread media coverage, match sponsorship, flyers and billboards. And still the take-up was very low because there was a lack of official backing - i.e. from the club (who couldn't due to then FSA rules) and legends who were still suspicious of the Trust and fan ownership at that time.

MD is right on FF when it comes to one thing at least - during the discussions and planning for these schemes, everything seems achievable and almost inevitable. Reality is very different.

As such, the admin and members of RF and BR can only try their best to popularise their work. The very best of luck to them!

So really we need a Walter or an Ally or a Greig or Gough to come out and lead the thing or it's no chance?

Not necessarily but, yeah, I'd say you do need such flag-bearers; one for every generation of fans so say a Hubbard, a Greig, a Walter, a Gough and a Numan. Add in identifiable business people then that allows an element of trust and credibility to form.

I'm sure the organisers have discussed all this though and I'd fancy this will be their aim going forward.

It's quite simple really - online fans only represent a very small portion of the fanbase. Until the scheme goes offline and in a big way it will struggle to obtain large numbers of subscribers. And, even then, that will prove difficult due to apathy and the independent/unofficial nature of such projects. Finally, add in austerity and the club's ongoing financial problems, then such investments are a big risk for many fans - even at a fiver a month!

I remember during my time on the RST board that when we launched GerSave (itself imperfect) we had radio adverts, widespread media coverage, match sponsorship, flyers and billboards. And still the take-up was very low because there was a lack of official backing - i.e. from the club (who couldn't due to then FSA rules) and legends who were still suspicious of the Trust and fan ownership at that time.

MD is right on FF when it comes to one thing at least - during the discussions and planning for these schemes, everything seems achievable and almost inevitable. Reality is very different.

As such, the admin and members of RF and BR can only try their best to popularise their work. The very best of luck to them!

The big difference between Gersave's launch and now is the state of the club. Then Rangers were an all conquering, star laden, trophy winning machine, many supporters were openly supportive of Murray and saw no reason for change. Things are different today, most supporters can see all is not well and change is needed. When the audience are more receptive to the message there's a much better chance of success.

The big difference between Gersave's launch and now is the state of the club. Then Rangers were an all conquering, star laden, trophy winning machine, many supporters were openly supportive of Murray and saw no reason for change. Things are different today, most supporters can see all is not well and change is needed. When the audience are more receptive to the message there's a much better chance of success.

You're absolutely correct mate but on the other hand because of what has happened people will naturally be very wary of giving their money to anyone. Many thousands of small shareholders would have lost their money over the last few years. OK, we don't usually invest that cash for anything other than emotional reasons but just how many people are prepared to risk more of their savings when we struggle to make ends meet in our personal lives.

All in all, it's a juggling exercise and unless the sell is absolutely spot on, it may just be one ball too many for the majority; even those with a keen interest in contributing to such schemes.

You're absolutely correct mate but on the other hand because of what has happened people will naturally be very wary of giving their money to anyone. Many thousands of small shareholders would have lost their money over the last few years. OK, we don't usually invest that cash for anything other than emotional reasons but just how many people are prepared to risk more of their savings when we struggle to make ends meet in our personal lives.

All in all, it's a juggling exercise and unless the sell is absolutely spot on, it may just be one ball too many for the majority; even those with a keen interest in contributing to such schemes.

Yes, that is a big problem. It isn't even just trust but in having the cash spare anymore. If I hadn't already paid into Rangers Fighting Fund*, bought shares (again!) and all those red and black scarves and so forth i would have gone for the 18.72 or, more likely, the one off payment - but I've already spent (wasted? :( ) that money on Rangers, sadly. Wonder if I'd get a life membership for my £500 of shares????? Is it a deal, lads?

* Sorry to go off topic a little but is anyone here involves with that? I persuaded my mum it was worth investing in (she's as staunch as they come but totally bewildered by all that is going on and has no time to figure it out as she has my very ill father to look after and has been battling cancer herself . So, she just does what I recommend - I'd like to report back to her on what her money will do to help the club

Edited by SteveC

Apathy and division as well mate. We've got a large enough online community to own the club yet the take up is very low across any scheme put forward. Only SaveRangers got large numbers of subscribers and pledges but low and behold the RFFF (the club at the time) pretty much fucked that. If Supporters Direct had shared and informed the RST of community shares back then, things just might be very different today.

Apathy and division as well mate. We've got a large enough online community to own the club yet the take up is very low across any scheme put forward. Only SaveRangers got large numbers of subscribers and pledges but low and behold the RFFF (the club at the time) pretty much fucked that. If Supporters Direct had shared and informed the RST of community shares back then, things just might be very different today.

What is happening with the RFFF cash?

The interest alone must be a pretty penny on that account...