ALLY McCOIST has reaffirmed his faith in his Rangers squad and clarified his comments to the Press last week after being unhappy with the way they were reported.

The Ibrox manager spoke to the media on Friday to preview Saturday’s trip to East Fife and said he would like to strengthen his pool for next season’s likely Championship campaign.

His consequent complaint is that was interpreted by some as him fearing his men wouldn’t win the title it goes for without further investment in the group first.

McCoist has insisted that’s not what he meant at all and maintains it’s his job to strive for constant improvement whatever league Gers play in and however well they perform.

There was a reaction to how the 51-year-old’s words were put across and he is disappointed as he feels he has been portrayed in some quarters as having a lack of trust in his current crop.

McCoist will still look to recruit high-quality players if he is permitted to when the 2013/14 term draws to a close and the transfer window reopens.

But he is adamant that doesn’t mean he doesn’t rate those currently at his disposal because he’d always seek to make his side as strong as it can possibly be.

McCoist said: “I said if we got up to the Championship there were no guarantees we’d win it and I stand by that. There are no guarantees in anything.

“But not for the first time, I thought the standard of journalism was very poor. I listened to the interview again and at no time did I say we have to spend cash.

“I’m obviously quite guarded about saying things like that but various newspaper reports claimed we needed to spend vast amounts of money.

“These people look to me to do my job and I would actually look to them to do their jobs too. All I want them to do is report what I’m actually saying.

“What I said was I’d like to strengthen the squad for next season and the foreseeable future but it came across in a completely different manner.

“What happened then was I had people reacting to a statement I never made. I’ve been in the game long enough to know what to expect but it’s a little bit disappointing at times.

“We’re bound as coaches and managers to try to improve the quality of player in the team and the squad all the time, regardless of what level we’re at and how successful we are.

“That’s our job. We’ve got to keep pressing buttons and asking questions in an attempt to do that and that will always be the case.

“What has been written suggests I don’t have faith in my current squad and that’s not the case at all. If and when we get promotion, I’d like to strengthen and give the squad a hand.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6440-boss-clarifies-press-comments

Guest TravelingWilBEARy

What's more worrying is the amount of Rangers fans who seem incapable of reading beyond a headline, especially those who are the most eager to have a go at the manager.

He wants to strengthen the squad. How are we going to pay for it? Magic buttons?

I'd imagine losing the ones who are out of contract (Cribari, Hutton etc) and bringing in freebies on the same wages. It can be done.

Or worst case, selling the likes of Wallace which I hope doesn't happen.

How many do we need though? As noted in the other thread, we can shed/free/loan as many as 8 players without weakening the first team that much. 4 will most likely leave for good in the summer, so there is room here. I doubt that we'll pay a transfer fee though ... but we have March and there is quite a bit of time till the end of August.

How many do we need though? As noted in the other thread, we can shed/free/loan as many as 8 players without weakening the first team that much. 4 will most likely leave for good in the summer, so there is room here. I doubt that we'll pay a transfer fee though ... but we have March and there is quite a bit of time till the end of August.

We will have one recognised (decent) centre half in Mohsni. Assume Jig stays there as our two. We are an injury away from struggling as IMO Perry, Faure, Hegarty are poor replacements.

That then leaves us with two recognised strikers in Daly/Clark assuming Little leaves aswell. Shiels I suppose can play up there too but with his injury record can you count on him for a full season?

That's a CH and a striker required straight away. Guess how do you gamble with injuries? It's impossible.