Former Rangers chief executive Charles Green has revealed he may still be at the Ibrox helm had he not 'been driven out of the club'.

Green led the consortium which bought the assets of Rangers for £5.5m from administrators Duff & Phelps on June 14, 2012, just two days after they were consigned to liquidation when HMRC rejected the offer of a CVA.

The Yorkshireman insisted he was at Rangers for the long haul, claiming he would not consider leaving 'until he had heard the Champions League music over Ibrox again'.

But after a turbulent period in charge of the League Two side, he stepped down in April 2013 in the wake of a backlash from supporters over a series of controversial public comments.

He returned to the club on August 2 last year on a consultancy basis 'to assist with shareholder relations and advise the company on its capital structure'.

However, his second coming lasted just 18 days and he agreed to stand down from the role and sell his shareholding, at the time the largest in the company, to current board member Sandy Easdale.

Now, in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News, he has broken his silence on his departure, and on the terms of his pay-off.

"When I joined Rangers, I was the only employee, the only director and the only investor," he said.

"I was going to have the same salary as Ally McCoist but Malcolm Murray (former chairman) said that was wrong and halved it. For the work I did at Rangers, I should have had double.

"Secondly, I didn't want the severance pay. I would have stayed at Rangers but was driven out of that club.

"It's a matter of public record what I took from the club when I left. It is in the accounts. My salary was £360,000 a year, but I didn't take 12 months' notice.

"I agreed I would take less money because I didn't want to penalise the club, but I would have happily carried on at Rangers.

"The bonus was a bonus which was in my contract, and I was entitled to that."

Watch Sky Sports News throughout Friday evening for more from Jim White's exclusive interview with the former Ibrox supremo.

I'd say he was the architect of his own downfall(or departure) as a result of some of his statements at that time.

That said I would like to see his type as CEO who will go after our enemies when needed. Diplomacy simply won't work in Scottish football when it is run by the likes of Rhegan,Liewell,Lunny and Dumbcaster

His "Paki" comments got him driven out by the mhedia imo.

When you combine the 'paki' comments with all his other nonsense (bullshit and downright lies), to me it always seemed like a planned and staged exit on his part. Right at the start when he first arrived on the scene he said that he wouldn't be here for long and was pretty much only here to make some money and bugger off within a year and that's exactly what he did. All his BS about wanting to help the Club back to the top etc etc yada yada, was all just lies to sell season tickets and the IPO so that him and his cronies could successfully line their deep pockets asap.

I'd say he was the architect of his own downfall(or departure) as a result of some of his statements at that time.

That said I would like to see his type as CEO who will go after our enemies when needed. Diplomacy simply won't work in Scottish football when it is run by the likes of Rhegan,Liewell,Lunny and Dumbcaster

While I agree that "we should go after our enemies when needed" just what Rangers benefited by Green's belligerent approach to Regan, Doncaster etc. escapes me. From what I recall CG made plenty of noise but achieved little.

When you combine the 'paki' comments with all his other nonsense (bullshit and downright lies), to me it always seemed like a planned and staged exit on his part. Right at the start when he first arrived on the scene he said that he wouldn't be here for long and was pretty much only here to make some money and bugger off within a year and that's exactly what he did. All his BS about wanting to help the Club back to the top etc etc yada yada, was all just lies to sell season tickets and the IPO so that him and his cronies could successfully line their deep pockets asap.

He was still the only man (group) to bail out Rangers when "Rangers Men" failed to do so. He said at the time he was in it for profit. Let's hope we beat Albion Rovers on Sunday!!