Black Doubtful For Airdrie Clash + Other Team News

Tuesday, 11 March 2014 15:30

Ian Doubtful For Airdrie Clash

Written by Andrew Dickson

IAN BLACK is a doubt for tomorrow’s League One match with Airdrieonians after he sustained a dead leg against Albion Rovers on Sunday.

The former Hearts midfielder was able to play the full 90 minutes of the 1-1 Scottish Cup quarter-final draw with the Coatbridge outfit.

But he missed training today and has been icing his leg in between treatment sessions so it remains to be seen if he’ll make the starting line-up.

Black has been an important part of Ally McCoist’s side this season and has only missed six games in all competitions.

If he has to sit out a seventh this midweek, it’ll create an opening for the likes of Robbie Crawford or Arnold Peralta to fill.

Kyle Hutton is only making his comeback from a broken leg suffered more than three months ago tonight in an under-20 clash with Dundee United at Dumbarton.

That means he wouldn’t be considered to deputise for Black given he has been sidelined ever since he was injured in a game at Partick Thistle in November.

Chris Hegarty is another player who’ll appear against the Arabs at the Bet Butler Stadium as he goes from strength to strength following a seven-month absence of his own.

But he’s also not ready for a first-team return yet as he makes progress in the aftermath of an ankle injury.

Nicky Clark rejoined the squad for full training for the first time after a foot fracture yesterday but needs more sessions under his belt before he’ll be added to the squad.

And while Ross Perry is close to getting back to fitness, he’s another who’ll need to appear as an over-aged player for the under-20s before he’ll come into the reckoning again.

Lewis Macleod is Ally McCoist’s only other absentee as his time out of the team continues because of a virus.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6495-ian-doubtful-for-airdrie-clash

It makes you wonder. After the Radio Clyde interview, is this a convenient deadleg or not?

My thoughts exactly, and I'm not too upset that he may miss out. Hasn't been the worst in recent weeks but is too negative and has no tempo to his game, which is what our midfield needs to break down these bus parks we face every game.

Can't make Ibrox tonight but I think we will miss Black if he's injured.

For all his faults, he's one player that is always looking for the ball and looks to bring others into the game. I agree, all too often, he takes one or two touches too many to do this which slows down the tempo but I'm not convinced Peralta will be able to improve us in that sense.

More likely that Law plays deeper with Crawford brought into the supposedly advanced role.