Dundee United chief Stephen Thompson blasts SFA.....

.....for putting fat-cats ahead of fans as Scottish Cup semi-final row erupts.

TANNADICE chairman Stephen Thompson says governing body has snubbed his request to switch game from Ibrox in order to keep corporate customers happy.

DUNDEE United chairman Stephen Thompson last night tore into the SFA for putting fat-cats ahead of fans as a row over the Scottish Cup semi-finals erupted.

The Tannadice side had written asking for a switch of venue from Ibrox when the draw for the semis was made – if Rangers make it past Albion Rovers tomorrow.

That request was denied in writing but the reasons given, and the split of the stadium, have infuriated the Tannadice owner.

If United have to face Rangers they will be given just 13,100 of Ibrox’s 51,082 capacity.

However, Thompson’s bigger concern is the fact the SFA chose the venues for the semis and final before they knew the last four.

And he’s unhappy they’re trying to justify it by claiming it was the best way to keep their commercial customers happy.

Speaking to MailSport last night, Thompson said: “I want to stress that this is IF Rangers make it to the semis. The last thing I wanted to do was be disrespectful to Albion Rovers.

“This is also nothing against Rangers. It wasn’t their decision and this isn’t their issue, it’s the SFA’s.

“Our request was refused but the reasons given were totally unsatisfactory. We asked for a neutral venue for the sake of sporting integrity, which was their big buzz phrase two years ago when the Rangers stuff was going on.

“But they claimed other countries within UEFA set stadia in advance for semi-finals and that precedent has been set.

“Their letter also claimed that, by deciding in advance, it has enabled them to maximise commercial revenues and keep their sponsors happy.

“So they’re saying commercial customers and sponsors are more important than the fans of the clubs taking part? I can’t have that.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-united-chief-blasts-sfa-3248125

Too late, but fair enough.

He is doing a bit of a Charles Green impression this week, mind you. And isn't it amazing the way history gets re-written?

'That was their buzz-phrase a couple of years ago' - it wasn't actually, it was twat fans who called phone ins and the like. The SFA managed to make our position worse than it already was by being rank incompetent cretins, but in fairness it wasn't their idea to push sporting integrity.

Our request was refused but the reasons given were totally unsatisfactory. We asked for a neutral venue for the sake of sporting integrity, which was their big buzz phrase two years ago when the Rangers stuff was going on.

Pray tell Stephen, who are they?

It's hard to believe Utd are running scared of us, they have knocked us our the last 3 cups we have faced them and many of our own fans don't want to play them either for fear of getting pumped. I think his reasons are just downright hatred of us.

Their form is certainly better than ours, but I guess that would make it all the more unbearable for Thompson if we win. Maybe he's building up a fall-back excuse, just in case.

McCoist: timing of complaint 'unusual'

Published on 17 March 2014

Gary Keown

Ally McCoist last night questioned the timing of Dundee United's public attempt to have a potential William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final against Rangers moved away from Ibrox.

Stephen Thompson, the United chairman, said over the weekend that he had failed to convince the Scottish Football Association to select an alternative venue should the Ibrox side overcome Albion Rovers in tonight's quarter-final replay at New Douglas Park, while levelling strong Â*criticism at the governing body for putting commercial interests ahead of "sporting integrity".

However, McCoist has since queried why Thompson did not raise his concerns about Ibrox being chosen as the venue for the semi-finals when the decision was taken in October rather than waiting until last Sunday's draw.

"I find the timing of it slightly unusual," said the Rangers manager. "I think they could maybe have complained when the decision was made, so that has surprised me, but I am not going to get involved in any squabbles with Dundee United again.

"I'll take the fifth on that one and keep my mouth shut. I'm obviously very hopeful we will be able to play them out there [at Ibrox]. What an incentive it is to possibly have a semi-final here against United."

Nicky Clark, the Rangers striker, did admit that playing at the club's home stadium in front of a partisan crowd would be a definite advantage for his side, should they progress from their replay. United had hoped to receive 20,000 tickets for the semi-final on April 12, but are in line to be given just 13,100 of Ibrox's 51,082 capacity should Rangers win this evening and reach the last four.

"It was decided it would be played here," said Clark. "We never picked that. We would have played them anywhere, but it just happens to be here and it looks like we'll just need to get on with it.

"If we get to the semis, I'm sure we'll raise our game again, especially if it's at Ibrox with the fans behind us. It will be a great occasion for us. This place would be bouncing and we'd be right up for it."

Thompson did complain at the time though to be fair!:

SFA defends early decision on Scottish Cup venues

31 October

00:13

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson expressed surprise at the decision having been made so early, however. “I can understand why Celtic Park has been chosen, it is the biggest stadium in Scotland,” Thompson told The Scotsman. “But if Celtic get to the final it will be a huge advantage to them, and the same stands for Rangers at Ibrox if they get to the semi-final.

“I am just surprised at why the decision has to be made so much in advance. Major games are played at stadiums with just ten days’ notice. There is no *reason why this has to happen. I understand why there has to be an alternative venue because Hampden Park is unavailable. But you would hope they could have tried to maintain the *concept of neutrality.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/sfa-defends-early-decision-on-scottish-cup-venues-1-3164824