Hugh Keevins: Rangers star Ian Black may drive a Bentley but......

......Rovers have got more class.

HUGH says Albion Rovers' display helps put Ibrox title win in perspective and says Old Firm fans should be asking why their teams are not in today's League Cup Final.

THEY tell me Ian Black drives to and from Murray Park in a bright red Bentley.

It should go with his bright red face because the painter and decorator turned midfield huffer and puffer has managed to alienate himself from the Ibrox support in the same week that Rangers won a title.

That takes a bit of doing. The process of alienation, that is, not the title success.

When squad members are earning enough to drive Bentleys while playing against part-time teams it’s hard to see this championship as a triumph to be discussed in the same breath as others Ally McCoist has been associated with.

But disaffected season-ticket holders? That’s another matter altogether.

Former Ibrox director Dave King hasn’t moved a rebellious muscle yet and he’s beginning to look like a shoo-in to win the battle for hearts and minds in the debate over where Rangers go from here at board-room level.

And if his trump card is the backing of the fans then a Bentley driver asking the support what more they want after successfully “earning” a replay against Albion Rovers is a perfect start in the propaganda stakes.

That and Rangers director Sandy Easdale talking about taking fans to the Court of Session for abusing him.

There’s commercial suicide and then there’s commercial cynicism, of course.

Celtic have lulled their fans to sleep on the back of a season prematurely ended by a championship won with the same unbalanced ease with which Rangers have dismissed their so-called challengers.

The Hoops have beaten what is put in front of them and done exactly what they should’ve done in the Premiership. No more, no less.

Just like Rangers.

But Celtic can always keep their support on side by ticking the begorrah box.

The latest edition of the club’s magazine, published last Wednesday, has Neil Lennon super-imposed on the flag of the Republic of Ireland.

Above this image is a message wishing everyone a happy St Patrick’s Day from the champions.

St Patrick’s Day doesn’t actually take place until tomorrow but who’s counting?

And before those who are always waiting to be scandalised reach for the laptop to send the abusive email, my grandparents were from Ballymote in County Sligo and I’m as proud of my family roots as the next member of the Irish diaspora.

But no matter where you’re from I’m sure a lot of Celtic supporters would rather their club magazine was talking about this weekend’s League Cup Final instead of camouflaging the fact they won’t be there.

The reason why neither Celtic nor Rangers will be there this afternoon is that the former couldn’t get past the mighty Morton at home with the additional benefit of extra time.

And even a team with a Bentley driver in it couldn’t find a way past part-time Forfar Athletic – after Rangers also got an extra half hour at Station Park to see if they could find the right gear.

So good luck to Aberdeen and Inverness for having made it to the final and selling almost 50,000 tickets to remind us that there’s still life outside the Bentleys and the begorrahs.

And well done to Albion Rovers for earning a replay against Rangers and a host of admirers at the same time for deciding to share their financial windfall from that match with the less fortunate.

The idea of the Coatbridge club giving away £10,000 to Radio Clyde’s Cash For Kids charity appeal would once have been thought preposterous.

But when they came into a few bob by dint of their own efforts on the park the Rovers asked “What do you need ?” instead of “What more do you want?” like a member of the other team annoyed by people having the audacity to criticise their performances.

I got a text from someone anxious to point out that Rangers drew with Albion at Ibrox in 1935 when Bill Struth was the manager.

My reply to that is, it was an embarrassment then and it’s an embarrassment now, begging Albion Rovers pardon.

So sue me for having an opinion.

Please someone tell me Black doesn't actually drive a bright red Bentley??? Please!

Does that make him a bad person? A Bentley from the 80's won't cost that much a new BMW will cost more probably.

Does that make him a bad person? A Bentley from the 80's won't cost that much a new BMW will cost more probably.

Take a chill pill buddy. How can you tell from the typed word what I meant from that? My taste in cars or what it says about him. Bottom line is - you can't. I've seen you do this a few times buddy. Get off your 'admin' high chair pal and stop being confrontational because you think you can.

Oh and for the record - I will wager £100 for charity (bank details can be supplied on PM) that the car is NOT from the 80s or even the 90s.

Despite desperately trying to hide it, Shug is beelin' with jealousy. He just can't deal with Black having a Bentley. LOL.

I'm not sure mate. Money wise maybe, but Keevins can't drive - honestly! He takes taxis everywhere.

Take a chill pill buddy. How can you tell from the typed word what I meant from that? My taste in cars or what it says about him. Bottom line is - you can't. I've seen you do this a few times buddy. Get off your 'admin' high chair pal and stop being confrontational because you think you can.

Oh and for the record - I will wager £100 for charity (bank details can be supplied on PM) that the car is NOT from the 80s or even the 90s.

Sorry now you have lost me. Why am I sitting on an admin high horse. I just asked a simple question if driving a Bentley makes you a bad person. What is Admin with that? You made the statement about the Bentley. I just pointed out that a brand new BMW would probably be dearer. Many ordinary workers drive in luxurious older cars. As long as he earns his money legally he can drive whatever car he wants.

At least it's better than Stephen Ireland's motor!

Sorry now you have lost me. Why am I sitting on an admin high horse. I just asked a simple question if driving a Bentley makes you a bad person. What is Admin with that? You made the statement about the Bentley. I just pointed out that a brand new BMW would probably be dearer. Many ordinary workers drive in luxurious older cars. As long as he earns his money legally he can drive whatever car he wants.

Did I say it did make him a bad person?