Scottish Cup success would mean Rangers have had a better season than Celtic

Guest DonegalBear

Based on trophies won of course it would be. We'd be at 3 out 4 (so long as we win both Ramsdens and Scottish Cup), Celtic would have 1 out 4.

If Celtic were in our shoes does anyone think they would get near full houses and win the Scottish cup? In the early to mid 90s they were mid table SPL and only won one cup between 1989 and 1995.

So far neither Club has done anything more than their fans would and should have expected and as BD says both had embarassing LC exits.

However, I would argue that if we win the SC (after qualifying for the semis only having to play one team from a higher divison and no SPL teams) against teams two leagues higher then that is a greater achievement than them getting to the group stages of the CL when seeded in all 3 QR's against teams from NIR, SWE & KAZ (which you could ARGUE is on the same scale as us reaching the SC Semis) and then bombing in the group stages.

TBH however, Celtic even getting to the group stages of the CL is a bigger achievement than us getting to the SC semis; but us winning the SC would be massive. :rfcbouncy:

That said, better wait to see how we get on v Dundee Utd.

Piece of Dundee cake!:)

If I was a beedrattler I'd be ugly, have one eyebrow and raging at not being able to win a treble for the past three seasons while we have been in the doldrums.

Language like that should be left out of this forum - there are other forums out there where you can use this type of derogatory language.

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

Quite honestly, I think reaching the SC Final would be an achievement, given where we are and the adversity we've overcome.

I find it humorous that the media flip between us being a Big team and a wee team, or a team with no history and a proud team whose history demands success.

All of course to suit the present purpose.

Raith first. Let's get that under our belt.

Then let's sort out these wannabes from Dundee.

Both teams won their leagues but no great achievement for either.

Both had embarrassing exits in the league cup.

Rangers are in the final of the Ramsdens but so what.

Celtic qualified for the CL (a fair achievement) but bombed, but not the biggest shame in the world.

If we win the Scottish, it could be the equivalent of them getting into the CL, so I'd say that it would put us on a par, but I struggle to argue that we have had a better season than them.

You also can't discount the fact that we have played terrible football this season against part-time opposition. A very forgettable season.

You also can't discount the fact that we have played terrible football this season against part-time opposition. A very forgettable season.

I'm not sure that the quality on the pitch can be used to measure success or whether we have had a better season. We could play great, entertaining football and win nothing which would be a poor season, or play crap and win the treble and reach the last 8 in the CL which would be a successful season.

I've also no idea as to the quality of Celtic's football, so I'd personally prefer to not bring the football quality into this argument.

I would however agree that it's been a fairly forgettable season up until now but a Scottish Cup win would be very memorable,

I'm not sure that the quality on the pitch can be used to measure success or whether we have had a better season. We could play great, entertaining football and win nothing which would be a poor season, or play crap and win the treble and reach the last 8 in the CL which would be a successful season.

I've also no idea as to the quality of Celtic's football, so I'd personally prefer to not bring the football quality into this argument.

I would however agree that it's been a fairly forgettable season up until now but a Scottish Cup win would be very memorable,

That's very valid.

On the whole, the football on the way to Manchester wasn't exactly inspiring.

However, reaching the final was undoubtably a success.

I've not read the article so I'm just basing this on the original statement of who had the better season. There is more to a season than just winning trophies. In fact given where we are, developing a brand of decent football and tactics with young players should have been imperative.

If we had a team of young players playing terrific football week in week out I'd see this as an excellent season regardless of cup results. It would mean we had a strategic plan and finally out of the short term season by season, spend, spend, spend culture.