With the likely appointment of Smith, McCoist and a-n-other to join Durrant, it looks like we are going back to basics. For some of us old skoolers, that is a welcome return to 2nd degrees, singing the sash and good old fashioned pish ups, before and after games (only joking).

As Walter Smith proved with Scotland, if you get the basics right (proper defending, taking advantage of set-pieces, getting EVERY player giving 100%) the rest will take care of itself.

IMO, we shouldn't expect fancy, free flowing football, but a return to the days when The Rangers were hard to score against, never mind defeat. Hopefully it'll also lead to a return to fortres IBROX where times litterly shit themselves when they emerged from the tunnel.

Cammy f

With the likely appointment of Smith, McCoist and a-n-other to join Durrant, it looks like we are going back to basics. For some of us old skoolers, that is a welcome return to 2nd degrees, singing the sash and good old fashioned pish ups, before and after games (only joking).

As Walter Smith proved with Scotland, if you get the basics right (proper defending, taking advantage of set-pieces, getting EVERY player giving 100%) the rest will take care of itself.

IMO, we shouldn't expect fancy, free flowing football, but a return to the days when The Rangers were hard to score against, never mind defeat. Hopefully it'll also lead to a return to fortres IBROX where times litterly shit themselves when they emerged from the tunnel.

Cammy f

I'll second that motion. Who needs fancy passing moves anyway...

Yeah it's looking like Walter and Ally will be the guys after all.

Smith is obviously a man with Rangers at his heart. During his earlier stint we had some great times and his contribution to the 92/93 CL run and 9iar cannot be underestimated. However, at the same time, he had millions upon millions to spend; was up against a faltering Celtic and despite that one great CL season our European record was very poor.

In some ways I can understand why we would bring both of them back. Smith is proven at SPL level and McCoist will fix the dressing room. As a short-term solution until a new man could be brought on board I'd be quite happy but as a long term solution I'm not so sure.

It had been rumoured that Billy Davis was the long term candidate to succeed PLG but now that era has ended so prematurely, I don't think we were ever going to be able to templt him away from Derby especially given the compensation we'd need to pay. If Smith is part-time and McCoist the only full-timer poached from the SFA, then that's cost effective. Moreso if Gary McAllister (or maybe still Davies) is to be groomed to take over eventually.

Of course, that would require long term planning and ambition and unfortunately the current administration don't have that quality. Short-term appeasement is what Murray is always about - this will deliver that but it won't appease the ever-increasing number of us who expect that little bit more vision.

We were horrible to watch in Europe with Walter as far as i remember. In away games we just went and sat in and hoped on getting one chance.

Off topic, but i also remember with Souness in Europe, when we were playing a Russian team at Ibrox, who we knew had quick wingers, he reduced the pitch to the minimum width for that one game

Are Smith and McCoist short term replacements or are they here for the long term?

Apparently Smith is coming for 6 months (I find that strange, is he still gonna do Scotland gig and why would he leave a job to go to a new one for 6 months) and McCoist is still in talks thrasing out a longer deal/plan with Murray....

All rumours/talk though.

Reports are saying that Ally will be groomed for the long term but then McCall comes into the equation too, saying he wants to branch out on his own so not sure what part of the set up he would be involved in.

Depends on what you read I suppose, hopefully we will find out sooner rather than later.

Best of luck to Duranty for Sunday though

Apparently Smith is coming for 6 months (I find that strange, is he still gonna do Scotland gig and why would he leave a job to go to a new one for 6 months) and McCoist is still in talks thrasing out a longer deal/plan with Murray....

All rumours/talk though.

I havn't heard dates but Smith is to smooth the way for Ally to take over at some point.

Smith is on holiday and so is the prick from the SFA so its been said nothing will be finalised until after the weekend.

As I said, only re-iterating posts that have been made on here today an articles that I have read