A decently set up membership scheme would be a (sic!) way ahead for the support to offer some help financially, with the guarantee that the money is solely spent of club issues. It must be done in co-operation with but independently from the board. First, you need to find someone who can run and lead and promote such a scheme, someone utterly independent from the board and its machinations.

Dear Mr Merlin

I am finally so happy that someone is talking for the millions of voiceless Bears out there like me.

I intend to renew my season ticket, and have certainly not come across any hardcore rebels who are intending not to renew. If I do, I'll certainly have a stiff word with them and let you know who they are.

As you so rightly point out, not only am I renewing, but, like all of the loyal Bears I sit beside, I am buying an extra 15 season tickets so that I can show my support.

The donation button sounds like a brilliant idea, and I would willingly donate thousands of pounds over the season to help the Club. Please send me three donation buttons - one for a PC, one for an IPad and one for an IPhone.

I have told my children about all this and the consequences, and they are literally in tears. Please send a signed photograph of yourself and the Board so that we can put it on the mantelpiece. You will be be able to get my address from the club database.

M A Mugg

Some sort of membership scheme if a great idea - but I won't be signing up to one with this board.

I agree, i think a membership scheme is a good idea, but not with this board, i'm not having my direct debit buying anyone Louis XV furniture for their French Chateau.

A decently set up membership scheme would be a (sic!) way ahead for the support to offer some help financially, with the guarantee that the money is solely spent of club issues. It must be done in co-operation with but independently from the board. First, you need to find someone who can run and lead and promote such a scheme, someone utterly independent from the board and its machinations.

If money is raised for a specific project like scouting or maintaining the pitch, it lets the board hang on to the money it would have spent on these things and leaves it with more to fritter away on itself or on undeserving others.

Without trust in the board, there is a fundamental problem. Ringfencing is a well-meant proposal, but it does not get round the fact that an untrusted board will never attract the money that would be available if the club was perceived to be in good hands.