7d0b50375eb018c65d414916925e128b_XL.jpg

ALLY McCOIST has launched a staunch defence of Lee McCulloch after Celtic midfielder Beram Kayal accused him of deliberately injuring him in a match more than two years ago.

The Israeli has been quoted as saying he believes the current Rangers captain hurt him on purpose during a Glasgow derby at Parkhead in December 2011.

Kayal said McCulloch was ‘very rude about it’ and ‘not the cleanest in the world’ as he admitted he expects his time in Scotland to end this summer.

He also made the bizarre claim he had beaten the Light Blues skipper every time they have played each other since when in fact they have never been on the same pitch together again.

Kayal was injured in the challenge pictured above, which shows McCulloch’s eyes fixed on the ball as he goes into the tackle.

McCoist was asked about the comments at his pre-match press conference previewing Sunday’s Ramsdens Cup final with Raith Rovers this morning.

And he was adamant McCulloch – inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame at the weekend - simply isn’t that type of player.

McCoist said: “I saw the comments very briefly and I saw the headline. Anybody who knows Lee knows he’s not a dirty player at all.

“To be honest, I can’t even remember the incident or the tackle. He certainly wouldn’t set out to deliberately injure someone.

“It goes without saying I defend my player and skipper against any comments like that because he wouldn’t do that.

“With the greatest of respect to Kayal, I think I’d have the Old Firm games down as being quite tame in comparison to some of the previous ones.

“I’m not sure he would have enjoyed playing with Bertie Auld and John Greig in some of those matches.

“That might be a wee eye-opener for him. I need to defend my player and my player is not a dirty player at all.

“In fact, we’re delighted with the skipper and the way he handles himself both on and off the park.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6660-mccoist-i-defend-my-skipper?

Is Kyal the No 3? If so the picture seems to show that his foot is at a weird angle, even before the tackle...no wonder he was injured.

He is, and his foot does look at a weird angle. Not surprised JIg went in hard with 2 ******** bearing down on him. Disappointed he never took them both out.