EcharpeDimanche March 9. The rain fell on Glasgow. Back in Govan Road, Ibrox throne. Proud , imposing arena Rangers prepares to host quarter -finals of the Scottish Cup to face unprecedented Albion Rovers ( D4) , an unknown neighbor. A game that is not intended to arouse devotion to such a club in theory. But here, everything is different. Inexplicable. Story at the heart of this meeting and this worship so special.

" As I Was Walking Down The Copland Road,

I Met A Bunch Of Strangers

And They Said To Me Are You Going To See,

The Famous Glasgow Rangers.

So I Took Them Up To Ibrox Park,

To See The Flags Unfurl ,

Display After That They Had To Say

They're The Champions Of The World.

Some People Can Write Songs About The Land That They Adore

And Some Of How They Fought And Won Their Countries Greatest Wars

Some Others Still Seem Quite Content To Use Another Theme,

But I Can Write A Song About The Famous Football Team "

In wandering in the center of Glasgow and countless streets, " Copland Road " sounds in my head. Described as austere and gray , the city is not so gloomy . Perfect for parties and alcoholic scents , it is distinguished by some quarters " rough " where many players are completely struck out to continue the beatings on the field, and more quaint buildings in the British tradition . A nice cocktail, but without real charm , unlike Edinburgh , alias "Athens of the North".

family

After lunch eaten in a pub ancestral downtown direction Ibrox . A family wearing the tunic of Gers made ​​a fuss not be near a bus stop. I am because I stopped trusting my sense of direction legendary ...

Once there , the houses are quite modern . The neighborhood is quiet , except for the shouting of the famous family that takes pictures everywhere showing up a Rangers scarf . Kickoff is at one thirty ET dozens and dozens of people sailing around the enclosure. We talk , we laugh and we already exhibits banners to the glory of the Light Blues .

Rangers fan

"I come to Ibrox since 1957. My school was right next to the stage. Look, I'll show you "

A " weegie " is a term typically glaswegian to mean a person comes here. The specifics of language are common in Scotland, " we speak scottish " as they often say , but the focus of these famous Weegies is an affront to decency and ears. "When people come to Edinburgh to Glasgow for the tournament XI Nations , it is sometimes difficult to understand and are asked to repeat . However, we were born and grew up in Edinburgh , "explained me a manager of a Guest House. In fact, start a conversation with a toothless octogenarian ( true ) holds an achievement. Excerpts from what I managed to understand : "I come to Ibrox since 1957. I even did travel, but I can not too . I leave room for the young (laughs ) [...] My school was right next to the stage. Look, I 'll show you. " Using explanations and gestures, I really understand how this man is proud to be a Light Blues . A happy man told me he was at school near his place of worship . It seems very trivial, but not here. " Number One ," the title of the fanzine , perfectly symbolizes what are the Rangers. As the entrance music players : " Simply the best . "

Scarf

By the turn of the enclosure, I (re) discovered the classical landscape of a British game. Families with the full panoply the club colors , reunion between seniors mounted police and opposing fans who will bring back a souvenir to the local shop, the Rangers Megastore , where you can find everything and anything ( but no tapes as Dundee FC , ​​see video).

horses

Uncover the fourth fanzine Rangers is a call to vote no in the referendum on Scottish independence

" When you come here, you understand ," said Bilel Mohsni me (26 years , passed by the DH , CFA or Southend, English D4) , one of two French group with Sébastien Faure (23 years, trained in Lyon ) . "It's incredible . They have such a love for this club. I dream to imagine what it must be in the first division and the European Cup. Bougherra told me that it was missing. He'd really like that again someday. " It is not so much the atmosphere during the match, " a cemetery compared to our years in SPL and Champions League " told me the person selling the fanzines is the effervescence that there around the meeting . Before, during and after .

" The club has asked me to do a book signing in the Megastore week ," recalls Bilel laughing. "It lasted two hours. Since I 'm not a guy like Lee McCulloch (36 years and captain), I thought it would not be many people . But no! It was the tail tens of meters! I spent two hours signing jerseys , calendars and non-stop and take pictures balloons. I heard people who waited for hours to say : ' There is still the world before , so I'll also buy the shirt and he will sign for my uncle . Or another member of his family, I did not know . I was really shocked! It is a pleasure even if in the end you're dead ( laughs)! This is a more challenging workout , seriously. I took a nap because I was so mentally exhausted . I had a sore hand and face to force a smile for the photos! "

Min MinNon independence

A gentle madness, as the 42,758 spectators on average during meetings Scottish League One (D3) or the fanzine " Number One ." In addition to the adventures of Min- Min, the fourth back cover is a call to vote no in the referendum on the independence of Scotland with a cover posters to mobilize the population during the First World War. But what surprising given the inextricable link between the Rangers and the United Kingdom? Which Scottish club can hold up scarves in honor of the Queen? "This is the most hated club in the country ," said myself a member of Dundee United ( Scottish D1). "Their fans are arrogant and sometimes create overflows. This is ... This is the Rangers , there's no words. With their Queen and all, you do not like . " For proof, we sometimes hear chants anti- Rangers Scottish Premiership meetings ... while changing Light Blues in the third division !

Albion Rovers Fans

Albion Rovers , the only club to have made an attacker to play almost 130 kg

This Sunday , the opposition is total. Located in Coatbridge , a town a few miles north of Glasgow, Albion Rovers ( D4) vegetate between D3 and D4 Scotland for years. Semi-professionals, the Wee Rovers evolve Cliftonhill before 405 spectators on average. A crazy stadium played host to Glasgow Tigers in the 70s . The Tigers are ... bikers! Racing stock car and Greyhound were also played in the enclosure.

Today Cliftonhill (capacity of 1,238 people with 489 seats) also sports projectors recovered during the destruction of the Cardiff Arms Park. Not surprisingly for a club having as main sponsor a demolition company ...

Even better , the Albion Rovers had decided to move to professionalism in 2005. Heresy for a club playing in the last national division ( D4). Ephemeral , the attempt has received a lot because of Mark Yardley, striker 35 at the time and went through St.Mirren particular . A photo will be speaking .

Mark Yardley

"Yes, I 'm overweight , but I 'm not 20 stones (127 pounds ) , it was not anything," became angry when his club Yardley tried to dismiss . "I have not played in competition since last November [ ... ] I do not know where all this talk about my weight. The manager Jimmy Lindsay said he would not make me play because players will full-time and , although they have questions about my fitness and my speed , I said to the Vice President David Shanks that even if I had run faster than Carl Lewis around the track , I can not always be playing . "

A crazy club , as his fans that fill the gallery dedicated to their honor. Probably more than 2000 or 3000 , some even have tripped one of the stars of the team, Scott Chaplain medium (30 years) , a small moth fessu the silky technique for the level.

Ibrox

Bilel Mohsni " Lee Wallace has a place in any Premier League club , even Arsenal. Gibbs or Wallace? Waldo would fit no problem "

Arrived at my place, the sun comes out from the shadows . Shy thinning as the rain resumed several times during the meeting , as the chants of opposing fans electrified by the opener Ciaran Donnelly corner , a former home. The first period is also an abysmal poverty for Rangers , booed by their fans. Only Lee Wallace (26 years, formed Hearts) is breathtaking . " It has its place in any Premier League club , even Arsenal. Gibbs or Wallace? Waldo would fit without a problem , "says Mohsni . Faure explained that he " had its place without regard to the OL ." Simply put, Wallace is a kind of Flying Scotsman , the high-speed train linking London to Edinburgh directly . He paces incessantly his left corridor. "The right environment was carbo before half- time ," laughs Mohsni . Technically, the boy is clean, with a real quality center and passes without rebound. He also gave two balls goal teammates, without result.

In the corridors of the stadium

In the corridors of the stadium

The minutes tick by and Neil Parry (28) , the guardian of Wee Rovers shines . Authoritarian in the air, it pushes all the balls fault block . He and Mick Dunlop ( 31), central defender elbows sharp and perfect placement , hold their team. Rangers grow , grow and cramps affect Albion Rovers . Three players crumble shortly after the hour of play

75th minute. Ally McCoist attempts a shot . He released his attacker ( Jon Daly ) Sébastien Faure, central defender. He ordered Bilel Mohsni to pass and not Lee McCulloch, who has often evolved as a striker in the past. Three minutes later , Bilel pounces on a second center pole and touches the ball just before dismantling Parry , passive instantly. Issuance and amazement for opponents claiming foul. "I do not even think about having it, but I had so much rage that I went . I thought the keeper would put me a buffer and go as usual, but it was too easy to hit and I hit the ball before it! " 1-1 . The Gers sell they will win the replay 2-0 to qualify for the semi-final against Dundee United.

passage

Half an hour after the game , the opposing fans leave the enclosure, still singing and chambrant . A good humor because the rain redoubled in Glasgow. Dozens of fans waiting for their players despite the ignominious result for Rangers.

Bilel Mohsni lot with his peculiar hair cut and suit the club. Speaking , he signed autographs and taking pictures , joking with fans. "I think your girlfriend has trouble taking the picture, you want to do another ? " Some people are almost heartfelt come face to one of their idols , a man of exceptional simplicity. "Nobody realizes how this is touching and rewarding. To be here , in the middle of all these people. My dream, frankly, it's up to the club where it should be : at the top. Europe. I prefer to be a hundred times at Ibrox that play down the Premier League table even though I earn more money. When I came , I found a family. And these are not words, I think you have seen it . " I saw , yes. And I quote the most famous fans " Follow Follow " song.

" Though the straits be broad and narrow , we will follow ,

"Located in Coatbridge , a town a few miles north of Glasgow, Albion Rovers ( D4) vegetate between D3 and D4 Scotland for years"

French is such an expressive language. I think he likes us but his Dundee Utd supporting mate doesn't. Good.