Gersnet Analysis: Sir Davie McFly and Short-termism

http://www.gersnet.info/fmrangers/newmain/050107.html

Who�d have thought it? Walter Smith and Ally McCoist to be the new dream team! Is this a master-stroke by McFly or more short-term appeasement followed by heartbreak?

Smith is obviously a man with Rangers in his heart. During his earlier stint we had some great times and his contribution to the 92/93 CL run and 9iar cannot be underestimated. However, at the same time, he had millions upon millions to spend; was up against a faltering Celtic and despite that one great CL season our European record was very poor. How will he cope with no financial backing and a Celtic who are now well in front of our mismanaged outfit?

In some ways I can understand why we would bring both of them back. Smith is proven at SPL level and McCoist will fix the dressing room disharmony. Thus, as a short-term solution until a new man could be brought on board I'd be quite happy but as a long term solution I'm not so sure.

It had been rumoured that Billy Davis was the long term candidate to succeed PLG, but given that era ended so prematurely, I don't think we were ever going to be able to tempt him away from Derby at short notice - especially given the compensation we'd need to pay. If Smith is part-time and McCoist the only full-timer poached from the SFA, then that's cost effective which as well all know takes precedence nowadays. More so if, as rumoured, McCoist, Gary McAllister or maybe still Davies is to be groomed to take over eventually.

Of course, that would require long term planning and ambition and unfortunately the current administration don't have that quality. Bloody hell, our chairman and his CEO couldn�t even arrange for their holidays to be different times to keep maximum order in one of their absence! No, short-term appeasement is what Murray is always about. This appointment will deliver that but it won't appease the ever-increasing number of us who expect that little bit more vision.

Just last November Murray was telling us that PLG would be here for the long term and his managerial position reviewed at the end of this season. What changed his mind so quickly? Was it Ferguson and the playing staff? Was it the unacceptable results and inconsistency? One can only assume it was the former as he didn�t sack Alex McLeish so eagerly last season when he should have.

One thing is for sure Smith should bring stability. Smith was also never Barry Ferguson�s biggest fan in his early years so that might ensure our ex-captain won�t rule the roost as he might expect. We certainly need dominance in the changing room and leadership throughout the club. I don�t think PLG gave us that but I�m not so sure Barry Ferguson or Sir Davie McFly do either.

Papering over the cracks just about sums it up. Can one obtain an honour for that?

The tag "dream team" in relation to Smith and McCoist is worrying and a tad premature. On paper they probably are because of what they did for us many years ago but times change and so does the Rangers bank balance. Smith failed in europe with millions to spend so what's going to change this time when he's got very little to spend?!?!?!

The mhedia are bigging up Smith and McCoist to be the next Sir Alex Ferguson and when/if it falls flat on its face it'll be us fans who are left with egg on our faces again.

I'm not overly confident with this appointment.

The tag "dream team" in relation to Smith and McCoist is worrying and a tad premature. On paper they probably are because of what they did for us many years ago but times change and so does the Rangers bank balance. Smith failed in europe with millions to spend so what's going to change this time when he's got very little to spend?!?!?!

The mhedia are bigging up Smith and McCoist to be the next Sir Alex Ferguson and when/if it falls flat on its face it'll be us fans who are left with egg on our faces again.

I'm not overly confident with this appointment.

that makes 2 of us:thup:

I dont think any fan can be confident right now, no matter who it was/is that got the job.

We had one of the most sought afer managers in europe and that didnt work out so whoever is coming in has a massive job of turning things around.

I think (i hope) bringing in those two will get us back on track a little bit, all the scottish boys at the club certainly know what these guys mean to Rangers and the fans.

I'm trying to stay optimistic. I think in some ways Smith was the only option realistically available to DM given that all this has come to a head within the last few weeks. If this had happened at the end of a season, or even at a time where we were comfortably in second place, then DM would have the luxury of more time to find the right man or to try and prise someone away from a club job.

Given where we are and unfortunately, the fact we really can't afford a large compensation deal, I don't think its any surprise who he's gone for. Its also given him a chance to approach Smith in advance and sound him out about it, without it becoming public knowledge.

Looks like PLG wasn't happy here, particularly about the Scottish players' mentality and attitude which has culminated in the Ferguson shambles. FWIW the papers are also saying that Ferguson has been given a monumental bollocking and his future is still far from safe here. Anyway, it looks like this was something that's just been the final straw for PLG and DM, rather than being the main reason to PLG's removal. DM is many things, but he's not stupid and I'm guessing even he could see that its just not been working out for PLG on the pitch after what was a promising start.

Add that to the behind the scenes stuff and its obviously been coming. Can anyone on here honestly say that we've looked like we're turning the corner under PLG? The same could be said for last season under AM, but the difference then was that DM obviously knew who the new manager would be and didn't want to leave the club manager-less for 4 or 5 months which is why AM stayed.

I feel sorry for PLG, but I don't think we'll ever know the full story about what's happened. Right man, wrong time maybe? I'd like to think we were all behind him, but at times he didn't help himself with some of his signings, his stubbornness and tactical decisions which were very reminiscent of AM's final season in charge. However, he has left our club with a small core of Scottish youngsters who have been given their chance to show what they can do for the first team and have gained quite a lot of experience already this season.

Regarding Smith's last term in charge, its obviously different times at Ibrox now. Firstly from a financial point of view, things are obviously very different now. The main thing I hear about Smith at the moment is that his record in Europe was poor, which it was. I still think his biggest failing was his tactical naivety, but I really think he's learned a lot from his time at Everton where he was battling against much better teams week in week out and kept them in the Premiership for longer than anyone expected. And as for his time at Scotland boss, does that not show he's at least improved when it comes to playing against European sides?

I'm not sure tbh, but it does show that he can galvanise a group of players on and off the pitch and I think that's half the problem with us at the moment.

And the second time is never as good as the first. In fact, it usually ends in failure. I really hope this time that we're looking at the exception to the rule and that Smith can firstly steady the ship and secondly give us all something to be optimistic about on the pitch.

Regarding Smith's last term in charge, its obviously different times at Ibrox now. Firstly from a financial point of view, things are obviously very different now. The main thing I hear about Smith at the moment is that his record in Europe was poor, which it was. I still think his biggest failing was his tactical naivety, but I really think he's learned a lot from his time at Everton where he was battling against much better teams week in week out and kept them in the Premiership for longer than anyone expected. And as for his time at Scotland boss, does that not show he's at least improved when it comes to playing against European sides?

I think this is a good point. Perhaps he was tactically naive because when you had his Rangers team against the rest of the SPL at the time, any old tactics brought easy results. That probably gave him a false sense of security in his decision making.

Everton probably taught him a thing or two but in such a league it's difficult to be learning and be successful at the same time.

He's now putting his knowledge to great use with Scotland and I think we're seeing a much more mature and developed manager.

I dont think any fan can be confident right now, no matter who it was/is that got the job.

We had one of the most sought afer managers in europe and that didnt work out so whoever is coming in has a massive job of turning things around.

I think (i hope) bringing in those two will get us back on track a little bit, all the scottish boys at the club certainly know what these guys mean to Rangers and the fans.

I will not get my hopes up until I see the results/performances on the pitch regardless of who will be the new manager. After getting PLG I was so excited and was still dreaming of a long and successfull relationship even though things were currently as bad as they were. I remaind optimistic that given time we would turn things around and be succesfull again. Now i will just go to the games every week as usual and support the team becuase thats what is important now.

Firstly, Ascender, your post was very good. Id only like to add that we will never know if PLG could turn the corner without Ferguson as captain. IMO i think things would have but thats a different matter, on to the future.

I get a good feeling about Smith and McCoist. I think Smith has improved in europe with his scotland games. I just wonder if he will want to give up this chance of taking Scotland to the Euro's. IMO he cant do both jobs as the top man - i thin kits just too much because of the situation we are in. But this remains to be seen.

As for McCoist, i cant think of anyone who will sort the dressing room out (in a good way) more than Ally. And the strikers will improve there game by a lot - just look at Kenny Miller in his Scotland games that McCoist has helped him.

Id prefer these 2 than Billy Davies or George Burley at the moment as its obvious the team needs a Rangers man with legendary status to sort it out.

I just hope its a quick appointment if they are coming.

With all the speculation that's happening it strikes me that maybe le Guen and the Rangers family were just not compatible...

We just thought along totally different lines and couldn't understand his buys, tactics, team selections or decisions.

Now with Smith and McCoist coming in there is talk of bringing in McCall and Hateley along with securing Brown, Thomson and Webster.

Now that's what you call compatibility. That's exactly what we see as the solution and what we want.

I think we can expect to see teams with 4-4-2 with Boyd and Prso up front. A new centre back paring and of course MacGregor as number one goalie.

We'll probably now be signing the most promising or established Scots and other good British players with the odd proven foreigner and playing a British style game.

We'll be getting pretty much what we've been asking for for years along with good man management, high moral and players playing for the jersey.

If it doesn't work now, at least we're all in it together and it will prove us all wrong and we'll have to shut up.