Friday, 04 April 2014 10:00

Fozzy's Breaking New Ground

Written by Andrew Dickson

9855e78515e05ac0d94ef1f6c9316de1_XL.jpg

RICHARD FOSTER has waited 11 years to make up for the disappointment he suffered in his sole final as a professional and hopes his long wait for success ends on Sunday.

The Rangers full-back was part of the Aberdeen team which lined up against Celtic in the final of the 2002/03 SFA Youth Cup at McDiarmid Park.

Aged just 17 and a winger at that point, it was an exciting chance for Foster to get a medal under his belt so early in his career.

But instead he found himself on the end of a 3-1 defeat in Perth and he’s never gone so far in a competition since.

In that sense, this weekend’s Ramsdens Cup decider with Raith Rovers takes on extra significance for the former Bristol City player.

While some might dismiss the competition for the fact participation is open only to lower-league clubs, Foster isn’t among them.

He knows how important a trophy it is for the Light Blues to win and for him personally, it would give him a chance to add to the two league successes he has had at Ibrox.

Foster said: “I’ve not played in any senior finals and my last final of any sort was in the SFA Youth Cup with Aberdeen.

“We were beaten 3-1 by Celtic that day so this is a landmark game for me. As a player you want to win things and win cups.

“This is my first experience of a big final and hopefully I’ll get to play. Hopefully we will win as well.

“Everyone wants to be in the team for the final because we all want to be on the pitch if we win the trophy.”

Despite their League One status in comparison with Raith’s Championship standing, Rangers are favourites to come out on top.

Still the country’s most successful club by some distance, the Light Blues are used to having supporters of other clubs cheering for whoever they play.

Foster isn’t bothered by that and is focused only on delivering more silverware for Gers’ loyal fanbase.

He added: “It does have that feel but that’s something you’ve got to live with when you play for Rangers. We deal with that every day so it’s nothing new.

“It’s not something we use in the dressing room. We just know that happens and we deal with it. We take each game as it comes and we want to win every game we play anyway.

“We try not to think about what other people will say or think about us. We just try to win for ourselves and the fans.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6682-fozzys-breaking-new-ground