Transfer window - who would come in given our predicament

Guest Thenorthlondonblue

VALDAS IVANAUSKAS, the Hearts head coach, insisted last night that he has no intention of selling midfielder Paul Hartley to Rangers during the January transfer window.

There was also frustrating news from across the city, as his Hibs counterpart John Collins, maintained that Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson will not be leaving at any time over the next month, despite both players stating their interest in joining Celtic.

It is understood that Walter Smith, who is set to succeed Paul Le Guen at Ibrox, is interested in signing Hartley having worked with him at national level.

One international player who will not be joining Smith at Rangers, though, is Nigel Quashie. The Scotland midfielder had been linked with a move to Ibrox but yesterday he left West Bromwich Albion for West Ham in a deal worth up to �£1.75m.

On the back of that news, Rangers could step up their interest in Hartley, whose agent, Mark Donaghy, is expected to meet with his client this week to discuss his future, which has been in doubt recently following an internal disciplinary hearing.

Hearts fought off bids from Hartley's boyhood heroes Celtic two years ago and Ivanauskas hopes any attempt Rangers make to sign the player, whose contract expires in summer 2008, will also prove unsuccessful.

He said: "Paul Hartley has a contract with us and he is a very important player here. I am not thinking about a sale. It's normal that Rangers have interest, but I haven't had a call. I think Rangers are in an interesting situation because they need a new manager. I know Walter Smith and Ally McCoist are in with a chance but there has been no news about Hartley from them."

Meanwhile, Collins said he was "very, very confident" that Brown and Thomson would remain at Easter Road despite interest from Celtic and Rangers. Brown was quoted in a Monday morning newspaper report stating that he would prefer a move to Celtic rather than Rangers: "They are two massive clubs but now if Hibs and Celtic can come to an agreement then I would prefer to join Celtic," said Brown.

Thomson also stated: "I think the prospect of the last 16 of the Champions League and being a part of what is being constructed there makes Celtic the only football option."

Celtic have adopted a watching brief on the Thomson-Brown saga while West Brom are expected to use the money from the sale of Quashie to make a bid serious for the pair.

Tony Mowbray, the West Bromwich Albion manager, is a known admirer of his former players at Easter Road but Collins dismissed the prospect of either player leaving this month.

"We have good football players here so there will always be speculation," said Collins. "I never said they [brown and Thomson] were for sale. I want them to continue to play football here.

"I am sure there will be sometime when they move on, that is inevitable, but not in the immediate future. I am very, very confident of keeping them and ultimately the decision will be made by myself and the board of directors.

I do not think January is the best time to sell your best players." Collins also revealed that he had given up the fight to try to entice the Falkirk striker, Alan Gow, to Easter Road despite offering to make him one of the highest-paid players at the club.

Gow is likely to sign a pre-contract agreement with Rangers over the next few days, though the Ibrox club may pay a nominal fee to Falkirk to secure his services sooner.

Meanwhile, Norwich City are understood to have contacted Celtic over the availa-bility of second-choice goalkeeper David Marshall. The 21-year-old has only featured twice this season, but is more likely to go on loan in a bid to find first-team football.

Stephen Pearson, meanwhile, has returned to Celtic after failing to agree personal terms on a move to Derby County.

Danijel Ljuboja, the Serbian striker, has revealed that he rejected a �£1.5m move to Parkhead despite the offer of a big wage package. The 28-year-old moved from German outfit Stuttgart to rival Bundesliga side Hamburg instead. "Celtic offered a large amount of money to me in the summer. They were even in Stuttgart in order to convince me of the move. We are speaking here about a very prestigious and good club that plays in the Champions League. But the everyday life in the Scottish League simply didn't interest me."

Elsewhere, Jon Daly finally completed his move to Dundee United signing a two-and-a-half year deal at Tanna-dice yesterday after United manager Craig Levein agreed a nominal fee with Hartlepool.

I was wondering. Who would take Hartley given that he reputadley called the Rangers fans "Orange bastards"?

Personally at this moment i would take him in place of BF.

Better an enemy you know as an enemy you don't know.

Tomorrow's first rumour is that J-Rod will be off to Marseille in the next few days.... for a fee!

Also, reports of the club doctor being sacked for apparently celebrating when PLG left and for being too close to Fergie. Anyone heard more about this?

I was wondering. Who would take Hartley given that he reputadley called the Rangers fans "Orange bastards"?

When this came up a while back he denied it. Besides, having seen lots of fans discussing this on other forums, I find it slightly hypocritical of them to slag the guy off for this one comment he allegedly made 10 years ago given some of the other things these guys have then posted on other threads.

Is he better than what we've got just now? Yes.

Would he give 100% for us? Yes.

I'd sign him. That's all that matters for me, but maybe I'm being very naive.

Same doctor that said diego tristian had a damaged knee, same doctor also said john hartson had a damaged knee, same doctor that passed flo's medical.

figers

What was wrong with Flo? fitness-wise.

I wasnt aware of any injuries that were overlooked at the time of his signing.

Same doctor that said diego tristian had a damaged knee, same doctor also said john hartson had a damaged knee, same doctor that passed flo's medical.

figers

wasn�´t Tristan mate

Raul Tamudo

pedantic loyal