what may be in it for him as a business man is to take control of all the assets that come with the club this type of man speculates to accumulate

What assets?

A stadium getting more tired by the day. A training ground that is essential to the club. A white elephant building at the East end of the ground. A car park which brings in money but hardly the kind of sums to excite someone like Ashley. A squad of players who struggle to justify their inflated wages.

I just don't see the attraction for him. Does he have Rangersitis? ;)

What assets?

A stadium getting more tired by the day. A training ground that is essential to the club. A white elephant building at the East end of the ground. A car park which brings in money but hardly the kind of sums to excite someone like Ashley. A squad of players who struggle to justify their inflated wages.

I just don't see the attraction for him. Does he have Rangersitis? ;)

Ashley is ruthless don't put it past him to close the place down and sell those assets that's why men like him are so rich he wouldn't lose a wink over it .

Ashley is ruthless don't put it past him to close the place down and sell those assets that's why men like him are so rich he wouldn't lose a wink over it .

I don't see what he'd have to gain from doing that.

He's an incredibly rich, successful man. Why risk his reputation in that way?

If being the operative word.

Honestly, why would he want to buy Rangers? There's no money to be made from it and chances of 'real' success are low unless we move to England or some sort of European league.

I just don't see what's in it for him. Does he have the same emotional connection someone like King has? I doubt it...

See my point above - he is looking to open Sports Direct across Europe. He could in theory buy us and put sports direct on our shirt or even change our stadium name to help promote his brand.

See my point above - he is looking to open Sports Direct across Europe. He could in theory buy us and put sports direct on our shirt or even change our stadium name to help promote his brand.

Why not do that at Newcastle?

In saying that, I don't think we or Newcastle really carry the kind of profile clout you mention nowadays. If his idea is to improve the marketing of his company, I'd have thought there would be better opportunities elsewhere.

Not to mention he can still sponsor the club without needing to buy it.

Can't exactly see why people don't see that his Newcastle experiment is a non-starter, as opposed to anything he could do with us. The last time Newcastle came anywhere near the (e.g.) CL was in 2003, when they finished third. They did win the UEFA (Intertoto) Cup in 2006 and were runners up in 2001. Their last success was the Guadiana Trophy in 2012, whatever that actually is.

Keeping Newcastle in with a shout in the EPL (no laughing at the back) costs vast sums in transfer fees and wages, probably much of any SkyTV income. Will that be enough to challenge Liverpool, Chelsea, ManU, ManC and even Arsenal? All they can hope for is contesting a Europa League spot with half a dozen EPL "also rans".

This two clubs in one competition stuff. Yes, always thrown into the hat every now and then. It all depends on how this is structured. Zenit St. Petersburg is sponsored and owned by Gazprom. Schalke is sponsored heavily by Gazprom (Euro 25m a year). Red Star Belgrade is sponsored by Gazprom. The Champions League and the UEFA Super Cup are sponsored by Gazprom. Yes, I know that sponsorships and ownerships are not the same thing, but at the end of the day, that's just semantics but targets the same topic.

I'm not saying that I want Ashley as a our new chairman/owner. But I can see what he could get in return for "peanuts" as opposed to Newcastle and their spendings. At least when it comes to putting a team on the world map again and his and his company's name in the headlines.