Why not do that at Newcastle?

In saying that, I don't think we or Newcastle really carry the kind of profile clout you mention nowadays. If his idea is to improve the marketing of his company, I'd have thought there would be better opportunities elsewhere.

Not to mention he can still sponsor the club without needing to buy it.

You could have Rangers playing in the CL year in year out for the price of one big signing for Newcastle.

It's not really about our reputation anymore just think of the exposure of the brand if we were playing Barcelona at the Sports Direct Stadium - where we could be wearing Sports direct shirts sponsors. This type of advertisement is priceless.

With that said - I hope the above never happens.

You could have Rangers playing in the CL year in year out for the price of one big signing for Newcastle.

It's not really about our reputation anymore just think of the exposure of the brand if we were playing Barcelona at the Sports Direct Stadium - where we could be wearing Sports direct shirts sponsors. This type of advertisement is priceless.

With that said - I hope the above never happens.

Nobody is interested in sponsoring the Scottish game. We were going to get a pitiful amount of money to rename our stadium.

Nobody is interested in sponsoring the Scottish game. We were going to get a pitiful amount of money to rename our stadium.

Again missing the point - you are right it would be a pitiful amount however if he owned us he could buy a half decent team and have his brand exposed to Europeans biggest platform for the fraction of the cost he spends on Newcastle.

Guest OWLBINMAN

I don't understand if there was any truth in this story, why it wouldn't be a good idea, he owns one of the most successful companies in Britain at the minute, and it is successful because he made it successful, now his method at Newcastle may not have been perfect as regards every time a decent player appears he gets sold, but the way he runs the financial side of the club is a sound model, but I admit not a good way for the EPL but it would be fine for Rangers, as some people here have already said, you would only need a small amount of what he spends in Newcastle compared to what it would take to have Rangers winning SPFL titles and year in year out runs in the Champions league, and why are some people against the stability this man could bring, but don't want the current situation either, so could some of you who are close to the club explain what you would like to see done with the club?

Hasn't Ashley been trying to sell Newcastle for a couple of years now?

Does he have to sell Newcastle before he could buy Rangers?

He put them into the shop window and took them out again. He can easily buy us now, as we won't be playing in any competition where we might face Newcastle for - I reckon - two years. Only if somesuch occurs, there might be a problem.

https://bdaily.co.uk/industrials/08-04-2014/ashley-makes-surprise-200-million-sale-of-sports-direct-shares/

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has sold more than £200 million worth of shares in Sports Direct, a report from the Telegraph says.

News of the deal surfaced last night when Mr Ashley reportedly sold 25 million shares - equivalent to around 7% of his stake in the firm.

The move follows Sports Direct’s purchase of an 11% stake in House of Fraser on the eve of a deal which was to see the retailer sold to Chinese conglomerate Sanpower.

It also follows the failure of the Sports Direct board to gain approval for a £73 million bonus scheme that would benefit Mr Ashley.

https://bdaily.co.uk/industrials/08-04-2014/ashley-makes-surprise-200-million-sale-of-sports-direct-shares/

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has sold more than £200 million worth of shares in Sports Direct, a report from the Telegraph says.

News of the deal surfaced last night when Mr Ashley reportedly sold 25 million shares - equivalent to around 7% of his stake in the firm.

The move follows Sports Direct’s purchase of an 11% stake in House of Fraser on the eve of a deal which was to see the retailer sold to Chinese conglomerate Sanpower.

It also follows the failure of the Sports Direct board to gain approval for a £73 million bonus scheme that would benefit Mr Ashley.

Certainly food for thought.

Between Ashley and King, my natural instinct is to trust King much more.