I think your central point is valid. Immigration, to be successful, has to be properly managed - that's fair enough; However, I think your idea that there is such a thing a European problem is mistaken. There really isn't.

Uncontrolled immigration created the most vibrant, diverse and innovated countries the Earth has seen (USA). Obviously back then though, the threat of people moving to suck on the teet of the bloated welfare state was not an issue, as the thought of travelling on a boat for 30 days to sign up to the buroo was just not a possibility (however exaggerated the press make this problem out to be).

I tend to think that for 99% of people who are willing to leave their homes, friends and families and head to the UK, their only intention is to create a better life for them and their offspring.

The movement of people creates a vibrancy and innovation in the cities and and towns where they arrive. One only needs to go to London to see what a truly multi-cultural jewel of a city it is. The agglomeration of people and the vibrancy that spurns is why immigration is good for most people. See Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, LA, Sydney etc.

For the record; I don't think uncontrolled immigration to the UK would be good because we have too many welfare obligations which would bankrupt us even further than we are bankrupted just now, but the comment that for immigration to be successful, it needs to be controlled isn't strictly true, I feel.

Uncontrolled immigration created the most vibrant, diverse and innovated countries the Earth has seen (USA). Obviously back then though, the threat of people moving to suck on the teet of the bloated welfare state was not an issue, as the thought of travelling on a boat for 30 days to sign up to the buroo was just not a possibility (however exaggerated the press make this problem out to be).

I tend to think that for 99% of people who are willing to leave their homes, friends and families and head to the UK, their only intention is to create a better life for them and their offspring.

The movement of people creates a vibrancy and innovation in the cities and and towns where they arrive. One only needs to go to London to see what a truly multi-cultural jewel of a city it is. The agglomeration of people and the vibrancy that spurns is why immigration is good for most people. See Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, LA, Sydney etc.

For the record; I don't think uncontrolled immigration to the UK would be good because we have too many welfare obligations which would bankrupt us even further than we are bankrupted just now, but the comment that for immigration to be successful, it needs to be controlled isn't strictly true, I feel.

Generally I agree with that, but each case is different and the US is an anomaly. Everyone was an immigrant (apart from the natives, whose land was stolen that is) so any new immigrants weren't coming into a country which 'belonged' to anyone already - that's greatly different from European countries with settled, 'entitled' populations. Another difference is that anyone who went to the US wanted to become an American - again, different from what happens in Europe. Many people who come here have no interest in becoming British, they just want to live here whilst maintaining their original cultures as far as they can.

Immigration is, eventually, always successful I suppose - but controlled immigration would make it more successful more quickly - which has got to be to everyone's benefit.