Rangers legend Richard Gough joins forces with Dave King in fresh assault on current club regime and says 'I trust Dave with my life'

THE nine-in-a-row captain has agreed to be trustee for an account for fans' season ticket money after King accused the board of "an extreme act of bad faith" an accusation Rangers branded "disgraceful".

The nine-in-a-row skipper has joined forces with Dave King in declaring all-out war against the current Rangers regime.

Gough has agreed to stand as a trustee for the account into which the Light Blues legions are being invited to plough season-ticket money in return for a direct say in the running of the club.

The patience of South Africa-based tycoon King finally snapped yesterday as he claimed Rangers chairman David Somers told him they had no intention of publishing the much-awaited 120-day business review until after the deadline for season-ticket renewals has passed.

Rangers last night disputed King’s claims, branding them “disgraceful” on the eve of the Scottish Cup semi-final against Dundee United and are considering legal action.

However, Gough is backing King’s version of events and insists the club are being disrespectful to fans who deserve to be given the board’s vision for the future after pumping tens of millions into their club in the last two seasons to help keep them afloat.

Gough said: “It’s all quite astonishing. Dave has given the board every chance to come forward and publish the review at the end of the 120-day period and now they are not going to do that. I’m staggered by the board’s decision. I’m amazed the club have no intention of announcing details of the 120-day review until after the deadline for season-ticket renewals has passed.

“It’s ridiculous.

“It smacks of arrogance and they are cheating the supporters, the very people who have kept the club going these past few years.

“Once again they are asking supporters to put forward their money without knowing how it will be spent.”

Rangers fans were contacted this week by the club and told season tickets would soon be due for renewal, much earlier than usual.

However, such has been the board’s haste to bring money in, fans have not yet been told the cost of season tickets, although price increases of at least 20 per cent from last year have been predicted.

Gough, like King, has told them not to go ahead with the renewal process and to pledge the money to a trust fund instead, with the vow of transparency for how it is spent and the demand over the

security of prized assets Ibrox and Murray Park in return.

Gough added: “Let’s not give this board the money only to be disappointed again.

“I’m firmly asking supporters to put their money into escrow and I promise we will look after it and use it for the best purposes of the club to get it back on an even keel.

“I’m happy to be involved. I’d urge fans to put their money into this account and we’ll look after it. It will go to all the right places, nowhere else – which seems to have been happening these last few years.

“I’m proud and honoured to be given such a trusted position and I’ll do everything within my power to help Rangers return to where we belong.”

Rangers supporters have lacked a senior figurehead from among the ranks of former players and managers to fight their cause.

Now Gough has stuck his head above the parapet and it’s believed other influential figures, trusted by the rank and file Rangers fan, are ready to join him against the unpopular board.

Gough said: “Any Rangers fans I’ve spoken to recently has urged me to get involved, to stand up and play a part, to make a statement. It’s a no-brainer for me. I’ll help the club any way I can. I’m delighted to be involved with Dave. The bottom line is I trust Dave King with my life. I have known him a long, long time, from my days in South Africa.

“He is a family friend and I’m proud and honoured to stand with him. Dave has already put £20 million into Rangers and has offered to invest another £30m.

“It’s amazing the board have not already bitten his hand off and asked him to play a role at the club.”

The cards have now been dealt on a game of high-stakes poker that could see an unpopular regime toppled, the club enter administration for a second time or the board secure finance from other sources to continue into the new season.

The latter option is the most controversial as it’s unlikely they could source anything other than high-interest loans, similar to the one struck with investors Laxey Partners before wealthy Rangers supporter George Letham stepped forward and offered better rates.

Of course, the loans are more than likely to be secured against Ibrox and Murray Park, which is a scenario Rangers fans dread.

The board could also go back to the market for fresh finance but that would require a new share issue, dilution of existing shareholders and there’s unlikely to be a stampede by investors if a war is raging between the club and its support.

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley also owns around five per cent of Rangers and he is flush with cash – he was hardly on the breadline before – after selling seven per cent of Sports Direct this week for £200m.

He could step forward and take a more prominent position at Ibrox and although it has been discussed at the highest levels of Rangers for the last 12 months, he is notoriously hard to read

and has not suggested he is ready to move.

Asked about the future of the club, Gough added: “I don’t want to commit to talking about the future quite yet and what may happen in the coming weeks and months. Let’s see how the next couple of days pan out first.”

He also defended the timing of the statement, on the eve of the crucial Scottish Cup semi-final against Dundee United, as did King.

King said: “The timing was not of my choice. Rangers jumped the gun with their season-ticket announcement.”

Gough added: “No matter what happens in the game against Dundee United, the club’s future is more important than one match.”

Rangers fan organisations are keeping their powder dry for now but their support for King remains unwavering.

Chris Graham, spokesman for Union of Fans, which represents all the major supporters’ groups, said: “We’re pleased with the statement and will make a full comment on Monday. What Dave Kings says speaks for itself.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-legend-richard-gough-joins-3402766

Once again they are asking supporters to put forward their money without knowing how it will be spent.

When did we ever know that in the past?

I’d urge fans to put their money into this account and we’ll look after it. It will go to all the right places, nowhere else – which seems to have been happening these last few years.

So not necessarily for ST's; very interesting and I would suggest very worrying for anyone contemplating putting their money into this hair-brained scheme; where else exactly might it go, defending fans from libel suits? Who decides what are the "right places"?

The cat's out the bag now.

When did we ever know that in the past?

It was assumed that it would go toward the benefit of the club. Not something we can assume now, sadly.

So not necessarily for ST's; very interesting and I would suggest very worrying for anyone contemplating putting their money into this hair-brained scheme; where else exactly might it go, defending fans from libel suits? Who decides what are the "right places"?

Rangers is 'the right places' - the language may not be crystal clear but I'd argue it's obvious enough what he's referring to.

The cat's out the bag now.

Any excuse for a pic of Mrs Slocombe: Would you mind holding my pussy?

mrs.jpg

the language may not be crystal clear but I'd argue it's obvious enough what he's referring to

It certainly isn't clear but it's a long way from the supposed purpose of the scheme is it not?

What do you think he's referring to then apart from ST's?

Genuine question BTW.

What motivated Gough to suddenly get involved after years of the club being in crisis?

Fans have been wondering where leading club figures were as Rangers became public enemy number one.

The cynic in me wonders if a deal has been done between King and Gough. It's still okay to be a cynic, isn't it?

What motivated Gough to suddenly get involved after years of the club being in crisis?

Fans have been wondering where leading club figures were as Rangers became public enemy number one.

The cynic in me wonders if a deal has been done between King and Gough. It's still okay to be a cynic, isn't it?

He was putting his name down and speaking in support of greater fan ownership and collective fan power back in February along with Alex Rae.

Say what you like about sdm but you could at least be sure your money would stay in the club.

Are you sure about that?

You could be sure we would be in crippling debt, I know that much.

He and his buddies were handsomely rewarded for running us into the ground on multiple occasions.