Rangers Report's - (Possible) Rangers Top Signing Targets for the Championship

More or less just an excercise and food for thought:

Rangers Top Signing Targets for the Championship

Written by - Jonny McFarlane

After the disappointment of defeat in the Scottish Cup semi-final, it’s inevitable that with little left to play for on the pitch the focus of the fans and the media will return to Rangers corporate governance.

That will be covered in great detail elsewhere, but with the football department having been arguably as poorly run as the business it’s also important to reflect on where the playing squad currently stands and whether it is strong enough to win the Championship.

After a sober assessment of the team, most will feel that with a rejuvenated Hearts, signings will have to be made to guarantee safe passage into the Premiership. Assuming that Rangers will be operating on a smaller budget next year and working with what’s made available by the departure of the likes of Andy Little, Kyle Hutton and Emilson Cribari when their contracts expire, I have limited my suggestions to players currently based in the SPL and out of contract. I don’t think it is realistic to expect Rangers in their current predicament to pay any kind of transfer fee and free agents from the English game are also likely to be financially untenable given their high wages.

I have identified three areas of improvement in Rangers current squad:

1. Goal scoring threat

2. Strengthening the Centre of Defence/defensive midfield

3. Creation of Chances

Goal scoring threat

Kris Boyd (30, Kilmarnock)

Surely, Rangers number one target.

A club legend and a goal machine. It’s so easy and obvious it feels daft to argue for it.

I wasn’t Boyd’s biggest fan in his previous stint but this is a very different time and place. His talents are ideally suited to the current predicament and his very presence will be a big boost to the beleaguered support.

His game has improved in his nomadic years abroad. Still as predatory as ever, he is better in the air and in his link up play outside the box. It seems like the penny has finally dropped that to be a great striker you have to do some hard work as well as bang in the goals.

Boyd be as good as a guarantee of 25 goals in the championship.

Strengthening the Centre of Defence/defensive midfield

Jim Goodwin (32, St. Mirren)

A natural leader on the pitch Goodwin is the St. Mirren captain. A tough tackler that opposition fans love to hate, he is equally adept in central defence or midfield. At 32 he’s no spring chicken but would add a bit of steel to Rangers weak central defensive area where Ian Black has underperformed.

Gary Miller (26, St. Johnstone)

Versatile and extremely pacey, St. Johnstone’s Miller knows the Championship well from his time at Ross County. A Rangers fan, the 26 year old could offer significant options having played at right back, central defence and midfield in his career. A steady-Eddie who gives consistently solid performances, Miller would provide squad depth across a few positions and would add that rare commodity, serious pace at the back.

Kevin Thomson (29, Hibs)

Leaving Rangers in 2010 after a successful spell in the engine room, Thomson’s career has dramatically stalled. Three years of injury and poor form have curtailed the development of a player that five or six years ago many predicted to be better than his good friend Scott Brown. Unwanted by Terry Butcher due to his introduction of a more direct style, Thomson would be a superb addition to the Gers midfield especially if he could be secured on a pay if you play deal to cushion the burden from injury problems.

Jamie Hamill (27, Hearts)

Hearts best player this season and their midfield general, Hamill has shown a rare combination of steel and ability. A deadball expert that guarantees goals from free kicks and penalties Hamill works his backside off from the first whistle to the last. Taking on the responsibility of being the most senior player in the Tyncastle dressing room, anyone watching Hearts can see that it is Hamill, not captain Danny Wilson that bosses his team.

Gavin Gunning (23, Dundee United)

One of the Premiership’s best central defenders, Gunning has been a lynchpin for Dundee United’s successful season. Still young at 23, he has plenty of room for further improvement and could be a real asset for Rangers in the years to come. Physical and good in the air, he is also a threat in the opponents box and can chip in with the odd goal. His organisational abilities have helped bring out the best in his 17-year-old defensive partner John Souter and has shown maturity beyond his years at the heart of an inexperienced but exciting team.

Creation of Chances

Alexei Eremenko (31, Kilmarnock)

A player of immense talent, Emerenko lit up the SPL in his first spell and was nominated for Player of the year. Quick feet and an even quicker brain he is a terrific passer who can thread the ball through tight defences. Another whose career has stalled, Emerenko would represent a gamble, and Rangers would have to play around his inability to defend but he would add a potent attacking weapon to the teams armoury. A fit, mentally attuned Emerenko has the talent to be playing in a major European league, at only 31 surely the challenge to get him back there wouldn’t be beyond Rangers coaching team.

James McFadden (31, Motherwell)

A player who has seen his career fail to take flight in recent years, McFadden’s return to Scottish Football has been a disappointment with only fleeting glimpses of his old self. A maverick in the Ted McMinn mould, a move to a massive club like Rangers could just be what the doctor ordered for this big game performer. Able to play on the left or through the middle McFadden gives attacking options to any manager that coaches him. A player sure to excite the fans with his wonderful natural ability, McFadden would be a big gamble but one that could pay off as a creator and scorer of goals.

Paul McGowan (26, St Mirren)

With the tumult of a recent court case behind him, McGowan can now concentrate on the footballing career that has seen him hailed as one of the most naturally gifted attacking midfielders Scotland has produced in recent years. Comfortable in central or attacking midfield, McGowan is an accomplished chance creator with an eye for goal and a blistering shot.

Rangers Report

Some decent shouts , but wouldnt touch Goodwin , he absolutely hates us with a pashion and as for Thomson , he is almost certainly done at any decent level , I dont think he would pass even our ridiculously easy medicals

Hamill and McGowan, 2 disgraceful options. Article loses all credibility with crap like that. Only one i would touch is Boyd, possibly Eremenko but i have no idea how he has done in recent years, he certainly has guile, skill and creation none of our current players have, guile skill and creation our team is crying out for.

Not sure if the author was serious.

I'm sure there are many players in Scottish football that we should be interested in but I'd hope for more imagination than the names above.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist worried he could miss out on signing targets as he waits to be given transfer budget.

KRIS Boyd, Gavin Gunning and Shaun Hutchinson are understood to be on McCoist's radar but he is concerned that he will be beaten to the punch as he awaits news of his budget.

ALLY McCOIST fears losing Rangers transfer targets because he’s still in the dark over what his Ibrox budget will be.

The Gers boss has had talks with two potential signings and one of them has conditionally agreed on a move to Govan.

But he admits it’s near-impossible to plan ahead without knowing how much salary cash he has at his disposal.

The Ibrox boss has been linked with Dundee United defender Gavin Gunning, Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd and Motherwell centre-back Shaun Hutchinson.

He said: “I’ve been told by Graham Wallace that I’ll know the budget soon but I want to get things sorted for the start of next season.

“I’ve spoken to two players and I have one conditional ‘yes’. But am I worried I could lose them because I can’t offer them contracts? Yes but there’s nothing I can do about it.

“Until we can offer them anything, we have to wait – and be ready to go when we get the nod.”

McCoist also confirmed decisions have been made on Rangers’ five out-of-contract players, Emilson Cribari, Kyle Hutton, Andy Little, Steve Simonsen and Chris Hegarty.

But he refused to be drawn into the war of words between the Ibrox board and former director Dave King.

He said: “The statements from the board and Dave haven’t affected me. They have both said they expect the manager just to deal with football matters and that suits me."

Meanwhile, Rangers kid Calum Gallagher has signed a two-year deal extension as he targets a lengthy first-team run.

The Ibrox youngster has been rewarded after making an impact this season for the League One champions.

And he is determined to use Gers’ remaining five games to impress. The 19-year-old helped the Under-20 side into the SFA Youth Cup Final on Sunday with a 1-0 win over St Mirren and is now targeting a run in the first team.

He said: “I want to be involved with the top team as much as I can.

“If I can keep knocking on the manager’s door, that would be great.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-boss-ally-mccoist-worried-3415159