McCall Going Nowhere (for this season at least)

Sheffield United assistant manager Stuart McCall has no intention of joining Rangers and is determined to play his part in helping the Blades stay in the Premiership.

McCall has been mentioned as part of a possible backroom team at Ibrox, with Walter Smith and Ally McCoist favourites to be handed the reins following Paul Le Guen's departure on Thursday.

McCall is emerging as a talented coach and took training ahead of the FA Cup third-round tie with Swansea with United boss Neil Warnock ill.

The former Rangers player has made no secret of his desire to one day become a manager in his own right, and has been linked with a number of jobs already this season.

Although only working with a one-year contract he signed in the summer, McCall wants to see out the next few months with United.

"I don't think me going up to manage Rangers would happen in a million years. It's a crazy suggestion," said McCall.

"My name has been mentioned as part of a backroom team, but then all season my name has been linked with things.

"I signed a year's contract in the summer, and I can't emphasise this enough, I love the job I am doing.

"I love working with this group of players, and it's a great challenge we face to keep the club in the Premiership. My focus is totally on that, and I am happy with that."

Although McCall has the respect of the United players, Warnock and the board, he concedes he has not yet been approached about staying on.

"When this contract comes to an end, we'll sit down again," added McCall.

"I signed my current deal almost a month out of contract. I would not like to be in that situation again and see it drag on as long as that.

"But there are other things to sort out first on the management side and with players.

"But it won't be discussed until the end of the season, if it is discussed at all."

I think we'll get him in the summer if he's needed.

There is nothing in that to suggest he is not coming. You have to say you like your job and are going nowhere until you have a cast iron offer.

That's not to say he'll come but it's a nothing statement that means nothing either way.