Wallace's strategy 'update' may be too late to win over Rangers fans

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?63221-New-Dave-King-statement&highlight=king+statement

In particular the following:

Looks like a sizeable change of direction to me....

No its not as that was at the same time he used the words probably have to.

Those words are clear. He's doing it because we need him to not because he wants to.

No its not as that was at the same time he used the words probably have to.

Those words are clear. He's doing it because we need him to not because he wants to.

From the 24th March:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2588429/Dave-King-commit-30m-ensure-Rangers-return-Scottish-Premiership.html

‘My view of what it will take to make Rangers competitive again is bottom end £30m but probably £50m — over the next four years,’ King told Sportsmail.

‘From the discussions I have to date I think there are other people who would come with me.

‘But I would say I would probably have to put in £30m of the £50m over the period of time. And I could probably get other people to put in £20m.

‘Would I be willing to invest £30m despite what happened previously? Of course. Sure.’

Also from 25th March - interview with the Daily record:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dave-king-insist-hell-not-3279689

KJ: Have you ring-fenced the money you think will be required?

DK: No, but I have had discussions with my family and told them: ‘This is your inheritance I’ll be spending.’

And even though they are all South Africans they have said: ‘Dad, go for it!’

It’s their inheritance but they have said: ‘Spend it and don’t worry about it.’

Compared to

Statement from 13th April:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dave-king-fires-fresh-attack-3411242

This board did not do likewise. In an ill-judged attempt to discredit me, they have now disclosed my comment to them that I preferred not to put money into Rangers if it could be found from other sources. In this instance they demonstrated their lack of integrity for no advantage as I had already, as part of my frank discussions with the fan groups, advised them that I had no prime ambition to invest further in the club but will do so if no other investors come forward.

3 direct quotes from DK, approx 3 weeks apart. How anyone can argue that he has not changed direction, I've no idea. He is not saying that he won't invest, but he has definitely gone from "Yes, I would invest £30m" to "I'd prefer not to invest £30m if it could be found else where"

I think there's some semantics involved here.

Should King have been clearer? Absolutely.

But, does he want to invest and will he? Undoubtedly.

Of course he'll want others to take part as well but I think he's just tried to highlight that if all else, fails he'll underwrite if required. Perhaps a clumsy contribution but also understandable.

I think there's some semantics involved here.

Should King have been clearer? Absolutely.

But, does he want to invest and will he? Undoubtedly.

Of course he'll want others to take part as well but I think he's just tried to highlight that if all else, fails he'll underwrite if required. Perhaps a clumsy contribution but also understandable.

you may be right Frankie....but if this was statements from the Board, folk on here would be all over them, calling the all sorts - especially liars.

the crux of the matter is that initially, DK stated that he was going to invest probably £30m from his own pocket over the course of a few years - no indication of being a back-up plan.....that later changed to "I'll only invest if there's no-one else". Maybe it was the wrong choice of words initially, but that is what is now out in the public domain, yet everything is fine coz it's King.

Look at it another way: (note this is for example, but may have an element of truth...)

The Board stated that there would be enough cash to see out the season. They then took out a loan/credit facility to tide them over. If the club has enough cash (where-ever it comes from) to see out the season, the initial statement is still technically true. However by taking out the load/credit facility, they are being called liars. They may have been better initially saying that there will be enough cash, but we'll need a credit facility/loan to allow for some breathing space, I believe the reaction would have been different. Anything the Board say is taken purely in Black & white.....anyone else its looked at in shades of grey.

We don't criticize or scrutinise Dave King to the same level as the board, because King has no part in the running of the club atm. He is essentially a supporter (admittedly a rich one) with only the clubs interest at heart. The board on the other hand are the people responsible for the clubs welfare it's upkeep and running. That's the benefit of being outside the tent and pissing in rather than inside pissing out. If his time comes as being el supremo at Ibrox, he will run the gauntlet of scrutiny and criticism, it goes with the territory. Until then he can say and do as he wishes, within the boundaries of decency,

We don't criticize or scrutinise Dave King to the same level as the board, because King has no part in the running of the club atm. He is essentially a supporter (admittedly a rich one) with only the clubs interest at heart. The board on the other hand are the people responsible for the clubs welfare it's upkeep and running. That's the benefit of being outside the tent and pissing in rather than inside pissing out. If his time comes as being el supremo at Ibrox, he will run the gauntlet of scrutiny and criticism, it goes with the territory. Until then he can say and do as he wishes, within the boundaries of decency,

If/When DK takes the reigns - that may well be too late to start asking the questions!!!

DK has raised his head above the parapet, and making noises about what he wants to do himself & what he wants the board & fans to do - now is the very time to start asking questions of him & his overall intentions (and that goes for ANY potential owner/major investor)

you may be right Frankie....but if this was statements from the Board, folk on here would be all over them, calling the all sorts - especially liars.

the crux of the matter is that initially, DK stated that he was going to invest probably £30m from his own pocket over the course of a few years - no indication of being a back-up plan.....that later changed to "I'll only invest if there's no-one else". Maybe it was the wrong choice of words initially, but that is what is now out in the public domain, yet everything is fine coz it's King.

Look at it another way: (note this is for example, but may have an element of truth...)

The Board stated that there would be enough cash to see out the season. They then took out a loan/credit facility to tide them over. If the club has enough cash (where-ever it comes from) to see out the season, the initial statement is still technically true. However by taking out the load/credit facility, they are being called liars. They may have been better initially saying that there will be enough cash, but we'll need a credit facility/loan to allow for some breathing space, I believe the reaction would have been different. Anything the Board say is taken purely in Black & white.....anyone else its looked at in shades of grey.

Your still putting words he never said in his mouth.

Heaven knows why.