"Jardine coming through the middle - he's a great player, this boy - shoots and it's a goal for Rangers."

Not my words but those of David Francey in a radio commentary on Rangers v them very early in his career. The boy was a great player right enough. He became a great man.

I had the privilege of seeing him on many occasions, both for us then against us, when he was at Hearts - best right back I've ever seen.

He's one of the best three I've ever seen in Scotland. Him, McGrain and Gary Stevens. I'd need a three sided coin to choose between them.

I took part in a Football Aid charity match at Ibrox a few years ago now. Sandy Jardine was the home team's 'manager' for the occasion. That basically meant him giving up an evening of his time to babysit a group of grown men indulging in a childhood fantasy; namely playing for Rangers at Ibrox.

Jardine welcomed us all as we assembled in the Main Stand, he then took the 'home' side to the home dressing room, pointing out places and people along the way. We didn't need a 'manager', it was a fun match and none of us knew each other far less had played together. But Jardine decided to give us a teamtalk, he spoke about the great players who'd been in the dressing room before us, of the noise from the street outside and the stands above us.

I'll always remember him telling us that Ibrox is a big pitch and to let the ball do the work as we'd tire ourselves out very quickly otherwise and that no matter what we should enjoy ourselves. We did.

He couldn't have done more for a group of men he'd never met before and would probably never meet again. He understood that we'd all paid money to do something he'd once been paid to do yet he showed us humility and was generous with his time. There were others there too, Bobby Russell, Alan McLaren and Mark Hateley, but Jardine was in charge and it was him that set the tone for the evening.

It was my only time meeting him and he left a great impression.

Sad news indeed.

I took part in a Football Aid charity match at Ibrox a few years ago now. Sandy Jardine was the home team's 'manager' for the occasion. That basically meant him giving up an evening of his time to babysit a group of grown men indulging in a childhood fantasy; namely playing for Rangers at Ibrox.

Jardine welcomed us all as we assembled in the Main Stand, he then took the 'home' side to the home dressing room, pointing out places and people along the way. We didn't need a 'manager', it was a fun match and none of us knew each other far less had played together. But Jardine decided to give us a teamtalk, he spoke about the great players who'd been in the dressing room before us, of the noise from the street outside and the stands above us.

I'll always remember him telling us that Ibrox is a big pitch and to let the ball do the work as we'd tire ourselves out very quickly otherwise and that no matter what we should enjoy ourselves. We did.

He couldn't have done more for a group of men he'd never met before and would probably never meet again. He understood that we'd all paid money to do something he'd once been paid to do yet he showed us humility and was generous with his time. There were others there too, Bobby Russell, Alan McLaren and Mark Hateley, but Jardine was in charge and it was him that set the tone for the evening.

Sad news indeed.

Nice story Amms.

Sad news indeed.

It's stories like this I hope his family and friends come on the forums in time to read :thup:

I remember him as a footballer only really in the Hearts team that blew the double in '86, but even then in my early days of going to Ibrox the stories from my elders and betters were all about this magnificent player and servant to the club.

He wasn't even a Rangers fan (Jambo) but knew everything that it meant to be a Ranger, for the fans, and as an ambassador.

It was Sandy who was mainly responsible for maintaining the memorabilia within Ibrox stadium. Any bear who has been in the Members club lounge and along the corridors around the Blue Room will see all the pictures of Rangers legends that adorn the walls, and the many caps and other items on display. When asked many times about a museum, Sandy often replied that the whole stadium was a museum for Rangers fans.

He really stepped up to the plate when the club fell into administration, and was pivotal in arranging the RFFF, and backed the many fundraising events that took place, including the walk round the pitch in May 2012. He was basically the fans spokesman for those awful months when we had no leadership at the club, and although no accountant or lawyer, Sandy done as much as his health would allow in trying to get our club back onto a better footing.

RIP Sandy Jardine, Rangers legend.

Sad, sad news but not entirely unexpected as it was well known he was very ill.

I wonder how many of us recall his testimonial against Southampton at the end of the 1981-82 season just before he left Rangers at the ridiculously young age of just 33? I recall Rangers won 1-0 with a late goal from a youngster called Gordon Dalziel if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone confirm this?

Sandy, of course, went on to play a few more sessions for Hertz to prove manager John Greig wrong in letting him go. It was one of many bad mistakes at that time by Greig which was to ultimately cost him his job as Rangers manager