McCoist is a smart guy with a big personality. His playing record at Rangers marks him out as one of the few who genuinely merits being in the club's Hall of Fame.

He has lit up our television screens on Question of Sport with his humour and wit and made himself popular throughout Britain by exploiting his big personality and entertaining us with his good-natured banter.

When he was being groomed for the job, I was prepared to give him every chance because he seemed to have the attributes, experience and background to succeed. I did notice one minus point though, but I glossed over it and expected to see an intelligent guy bringing intelligent football to Ibrox for our enjoyment and pleasure.

The minus point? When asked direct questions as a television pundit about what a manager should do to solve certain problems, he bobbed and weaved instead of giving straight answers. He couldn't offer proper advice, but his personality kept him sweet with the football public and no-one really cared that he wasn't a cutting edge expert. This should have been a warning. He could tell us what a great strike he had seen but he was generally clueless about the analytical side.

It turned out that his managerial blueprint was a carbon copy of the one Walter Smith had left behind. He had no original ideas. He cloned the God-awful negativity of Smith and made it his own. To be fair, if Smith was still around, the fans would have been on his case too. He only knew one way to play and Ally copied it to the last letter.

This vile dark age football has been endured for far too long at Ibrox. Young Rangers fans think there is no other way to play. Boring, soulless, unimaginative, unadventurous and deeply negative football has cast its shadow over Ibrox and sickened those who long for some excitement in their football days out.

To be fair to McCoist, he was taught by the most negative football manager Scotland has ever produced, but to his eternal discredit, he set about replicating Smith's fan-unfriendly style in the 4th and 3rd tiers of Scottish football - the dunce's corner of the European senior game.

Enough! Get him out. Get him out and don't replace him with another Smith disciple. The club and support can't stand any more of a brand of football that insults the beautiful game and makes a day shopping with the wife seem like a blessed relief from Ibrox borefest-snorefests.

I have had my fill of dire football. I can't take it any more. I don't look forward to the match, I don't enjoy it when I'm watching it and I'm utterly relieved when it's over. I cannot justify paying good money to see what I don't want to see. I cannot pretend that I am enjoying something that I have come to hate. I cannot make any more excuses for a playing legend who has turned out to be a managerial dullard.

McCoist will always be fondly remembered - just as John Greig is - but it will be for his ability on the pitch instead of in the dugout.

He is killing football down Ibrox way.

He is a luxury we can no longer afford.

Edited by Hildy

McCoist is a smart guy

I am ever increasingly doubting this. Smart perhaps in that he can get a near £1m salary for a while while being useless. Continuing to earn near £500k.

What do Europa League level managers earn? The Malmo (albeit CL qualifier) and Maribor level?

I am ever increasingly doubting this. Smart perhaps in that he can get a near £1m salary for a while while being useless. Continuing to earn near £500k.

What do Europa League level managers earn? The Malmo (albeit CL qualifier) and Maribor level?

Don't know about the manager but the Maribor players were on about 800 euros a month, twice the local average pay at the time.

Good post Hildy (no.51)

I'll try to come at it from another angle.

There are two main layers of power at Ibrox.

At the top you have the executive board and underneath them is the football operation.

What we've had in recent years is what you might describe as a 'mutual survival pact' between two seperate gravytrains.

Neither have been or are good for the club. Although the important difference between them is that the board have an agenda that gives priority to themselves and their backers whereby the football dept. is simply not very good at what they do.

When I say "mutual", that hasn't always been accurate because there have been public spats, negative subliminal messages etc.....However at important junctures there has been 'back scratching'. Ally McCoist isn't a good football manager and in a normal enviroment he would have been sacked by now but 'club politics' have made it difficult for the board to do this and Ally has helped the board sell ST's and backed every chancer to walk through the doors. At the moment AMcC seems more reluctant to contribute in this way and we'll have to see how it develops.

So we have had and have various incarnations of executive control (board), none of whom we can trust giving priority to the political rather than the football.

Aslong as the money keeps rolling in they won't rock the boat.

Recently we had a business review that pointed to scouting as being important (120 days to realise that/ act on it) but went out and signed a spin-doctor.

Talk about the football, Act on the political................ It's their MO.

We had Green talk about CL music, no (external) debt etc. but he was long gone with pockets full as the truth became clear.

The tell-tale sign was that in the IPO prospectus there was no provisional spend allocated towards scouting, youth & development.

We have Wallace talking about SPFL1 Championships in 3 years (without real credible detail on how that is to be achieved), he'll be long gone before we can hold him to account.

It's a multi-layered gravytrain (board&Co and football) where many benefit disproportionally as they contribute to an 'Omnishambles'.

The real losers are the football club and the supporters.

We have a football club that isn't Fit for Purpose at any level