Sunday Herald is first paper to back Scottish independence

Saturday 3 May 2014

The Sunday Herald has become the first Scottish newspaper to support independence

The paper declares its editorial position this weekend with a front page designed by Alasdair Gray, the famous artist, author and advocate of a Yes vote.

In its editorial, the Sunday Herald states: ''Scotland is an ancient nation and a modern society. We understand the past, as best we can, and guess at the future. But history is as nothing to the lives of the children being born now, this morning, in the cities, towns and villages of this country.

"On their behalf, we assert a claim to a better, more decent, more just future in which a country's governments will be ruled always by the decisions of its citizens.''

The paper supported the SNP in the 2007 and 2011 Scottish Parliament elections, but has said it will not automatically favour the SNP or other parties in its news reporting of the Yes campaign during the

referendum, and will remain independent and balanced in its reports.

The Herald & Times Group, publisher of the Sunday Herald, The Herald and the Evening Times, is giving the titles' editors freedom to take their own editorial position on the constitution. The company is

non-political and neutral.

The Herald has not declared an opinion on the referendum question. It will be up to its editor to decide when and if to do so.

HeraldScotland incorporates content from both print titles and also publishes a balanced range of online-only articles relating to the referendum. Our readers' forum is a neutral commenting facility and our moderating team will remain impartial in the independence debate.

To read the Sunday Herald editorial in full, buy tomorrow's print edition or come back to HeraldScotland from early on Sunday

This is the same newspaper group who have been entirely critical of Rangers and who have printed mostly negatively slanted articles towards Rangers, apart from those articles from Richard Wilson, in the last few years. If they say they will be impartial in their coverage during the run up to the referendum then I'm sure we shall all agree with them.

Aye right !!!!

This is the same newspaper group who have been entirely critical of Rangers and who have printed mostly negatively slanted articles towards Rangers, apart from those articles from Richard Wilson, in the last few years. If they say they will be impartial in their coverage during the run up to the referendum then I'm sure we shall all agree with them.

Aye right !!!!

remind me: where is it you live again?

The vote doesn't matter anyway, TPTB have already decided before you tick a box. At first I thought this was a no-go but m thinking they might go with independence. Although there is a of of red tape to get over. I.e All of a sudden is my british passport invalid?

remind me: where is it you live again?

well, since you decided that you preferred north america to scotland, I don't really see what our debate on independence has got to do with you.

Those of us who chose to live in Scotland will decide whether or not to be independent and thankfully most of us will base that decision on something more than a perceived bias by the sorts edtor of a newspaper against a football club.

The vote doesn't matter anyway, TPTB have already decided before you tick a box. At first I thought this was a no-go but m thinking they might go with independence. Although there is a of of red tape to get over. I.e All of a sudden is my british passport invalid?

Your UK citizenship will entitle you to the same rights in Scotland as it would in the rest of the EU, i.e de facto full rights.

That is, if rUK continues to be part of the EU, since there's a very real risk that the petty-minded, little-Englander UKIP style nationalism abroad in England at the moment will see the rUK leaving the EU.

well, since you decided that you preferred north america to scotland, I don't really see what our debate on independence has got to do with you.

Those of us who chose to live in Scotland will decide whether or not to be independent and thankfully most of us will base that decision on something more than a perceived bias by the sorts edtor of a newspaper against a football club.

You shallow little man, you don't know which passport I hold. Nor do you know what is of passionate interest to me and what is not. Salmond may have denied me a vote on the basis of residence, but he can not prevent me from returning if I wish.

Your post brings to mind the petulant child, who on the playground declares - " It's ma baw and am goin' hame !! "

Edited by barca72

You shallow little man, you don't know which passport I hold. Nor do you know what is of passionate interest to me and what is not. Salmond may have denied me a vote on the basis of residence, but he can not prevent me from returning if I wish.

Your post brings to mind the petulant child, who on the playground declares - " It's ma baw and am goin' hame !! "

LOL!! Once you've wiped the spittle from your monitor, consider this:

It doesn't matter what passport you hold; people of any passport have the right to vote in this country if they live here. It's what we call an inclusive democracy. If you live here and pay your taxes and your way here, you get to vote here. We allow that, unlike most other countries.

What we don't allow is transatlantic loudmouths, prentendy Scots who once had a mars bar in Greenock telling us how we should vote; because, you know what? it doesn't matter what you think - you've decided to leave Scotland and go and live somewhere else so your opinions are of no relevance to the debate. You may delude yourself that you're Scottish but in fact, you are so passionately interested in Scotland that you fucked off to the other side of the planet, leaving your country behind you as fast as you could. And we are supposed to give a toss about what ou think from 5,000 miles away?

Salmond has denied you nothing; if you had chosen to live in Scotland you'd have the vote; You chose to live somewhere else so you don't. get over it or get back here, pay your taxes and earn a right to have your voice heard.

You make no contribution to this country and your stupidity prevents you from making any worthwhile contribution to the debate we're having about our future, so I'd suggest you'd be better served concentrating on things that concern you in your new country.