Richard The Lionheart And Balls Of Steel From The Board

Richard-Gough

The team that drinks together wins together.

A legendary quote attributed to Richard Gough which the former Rangers captain assured me today he didn’t actually say.

Gough phoned me to respond to my Balls Of Steel blog and to defend his own part in the Ibrox1972 venture, which I have called a bootleg Rangers.I have to be honest and say that Goughie left me in absolutely no doubt that his intentions are sincere and that he is doing what he is doing for the benefit of Rangers. During our conversation he kept stressing his dismay that the supporters were so divided and it was refreshing to engage with someone in the anti-board camp who is free of the bitterness that is spouted by reb ringleaders.

Gough did not at any time during our lengthy conversation say anything derogatory about Rangers directors; in fact, he stressed he was sure that they had Rangers’ interests at heart. I got the impression that his concerns were more about what has taken place over the past three years and the present board’s ability to deal with this than any supposed “****very” in the boardroom.

What we both agreed on was that we wanted to see more positive action from the board in response to the club’s present condition.

Goughie admitted to me that he wished he had said more in the past, particularly about the Craig Whyte fiasco but agreed with me that many of us were taken in by Whyte because we wanted to believe.

As he has said elsewhere, the big man did not hesitate to respond to Dave King’s request that he put his name and reputation behind the season ticket fund. He admits he had no idea what he was getting into or he may have given it a body swerve but with the same steel he displayed as a player and the decision-making that brought him fame and renown as a world-class defender, he said “No, the truth is I had to do it because I felt it had to be done. I just want what’s best for Rangers Football Club.”

I again have to be fair and say that it was refreshing to hear Goughie reiterate that fans who want to renew with the club should do so. He claimed that Dave King was just trying to give fans some security as Admin 2 was a real possibility. Cynics may see more to King’s motives than a benevolent interest in fans’ monies and that his actions were designed to bring about Admin rather than avert it.

His personal advice, he says, would be for anyone unsure of whether to renew or pledge to Ibrox1972 would be to withhold money from both and pay on a game-to-game basis.

I have to say that big Goughie is not a devious person anyway and he is undoubtedly sincere in his concerns and intentions. He is also honest about his own naivety and lack of expertise in the greyer areas of the project he and King are embarked upon. He is not a schemer or a wheeler dealer but I agreed with his summary of things.

“Ultimately it will all be decided at shareholder level,” said Gough.

As I pointed out, King knows this only too well and his use of fan power is designed to exert leverage on the shareholders.

Richard Gough doesn’t seem to share the militancy that King and his UoF supporters have in getting fans to join the fund. His attitude is that it is up to fans to decide.

Domiciled abroad, Gough is unsurprisingly out of touch with the mood of fans, especially since David Murray left the scene. But, as I have said previously, he deserves a say in matters Rangers.

I don’t agree with his involvement in the Ibrox1972 project. However, I defend his right to have it and appreciate the sincerity of his motives. I also admire his sticking his head above the parapet. As Gough himself says, “When this thing is over, regardless of who wins, there will be people jumping on board the victory train. At least I threw my hat into the ring knowing it wouldn’t be popular with everybody.”

One thing Goughie and I agreed upon was the need for positive action from the Rangers board. He alluded to my Balls of Steel blog. Just after our discussion I saw the statement by the Rangers board which was exactly what I called for in yesterday’s blog.

phoning merlin was daft. why bother hes a nutter and con man.

the fact our board engage with him is embarrassing enough without real rangers men doing it.

H has incredible connections. The fact that they entertain him is very worrying.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."

George Orwell

The financial abundance preacher who doesn't come cheap is spinning a line for all he is worth.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."

George Orwell

The financial abundance preacher who doesn't come cheap is spinning a line for all he is worth.

It makes you wonder about others who concur with his views.

It makes you wonder about others who concur with his views.

He is and has been nothing more than a tool in the pockets of those who are in and behind the various incarnations of sp.iv controlled boards.

How can you take the preaching of a man seriously who was pro-Green, Stockbridge, Ahmad et al and now preaches in favour of those who blame the same. Not forgetting that the current board had given high praise towards the likes of Stockbridge in their AGM electioneering.

It's one thing a punter making a mistake but how can a self-proclaimed 'visionary' do the same and hope to maintain credibility amongst any apart from his unconditional 'fans'.

He helps steer a campaign of spin that generally the same groups and individuals consume and helps prevent them from asking awkward questions.

This particular piece is a slant aimed moreso at the middle ground to try and help them reconcile the fact Richard Gough is supporting efforts against the board.

IMO McMurdo in all his guises (see webpages) comes accross as a slippery customer, eg. a PR consultant (spin-doctor) or a Super Abundance preacher.

Note. That since his financial abundance schemes became more well known amongst the support he has modified his "offer".