Sad, Sad, Sad...but you're gonna be mine?

In my youth it was the Everly Bros, "So Sad".

We used to have good times together,

but now I feel them slip away,

it makes me cry to see love die,

so sad to watch good love go bad.

That makes me think a little..............

The illusion of 'togetherness'

One of the main reasons we are fading away as a club is because of two differing objectives that aren't compatible or shouldn't be together.

1. Real ambition and aspiration for the football club.

2. Being a cash cow for a small group of individuals and groups.

We can't generate enough money for both.

The other day, the club statement finished with the following..........

"Any decision not to renew season tickets can only damage the Club. Such action would only serve to harm the very institution that is so dear to all of us."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6929-club-statement

The last part where it says "dear to us all" is the lie that underwrites this post.

The Everly Brothers are still chronically under-rated. A repository of gritty, grotty Americana, the sound of the country before the modern age, the musical equivalent of Thoreau's Walden, just like Johnny Cash and my own favourite, Glen Campbell.

And just plain stunning close harmonisers.

That makes me think a little..............

The illusion of 'togetherness'

One of the main reasons we are fading away as a club is because of two differing objectives that aren't compatible or shouldn't be together.

1. Real ambition and aspiration for the football club.

2. Being a cash cow for a small group of individuals and groups.

We can't generate enough money for both.

The other day, the club statement finished with the following..........

The last part where it says "dear to us all" is the lie that underwrites this post.

There is no question that a number of those who have been involved with the Club at director level in recent years have only been in it for themselves but it is equally true that a large number of "Rangers men" have had the opportunity to support the club they hold dear and have not done so.

Regrettably the days when it was an honour and a privilege to be a director of Rangers (as indeed a player) are long gone.

I would like to think that those days will return but I am not confident.

The Everly Brothers are still chronically under-rated. A repository of gritty, grotty Americana, the sound of the country before the modern age, the musical equivalent of Thoreau's Walden, just like Johnny Cash and my own favourite, Glen Campbell.

And just plain stunning close harmonisers.

The greatest close harmony group of all time?

I was privileged to see them for the first time headlining a tour with Cilla Black and Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas in 1962 or 63, the Reunion Concert when it hit Glasgow in 1983 and once more in the 90's I believe. The were great friends of Buddy Holly. I once met an American who had been in the marines with them and he had a few stories to tell.

Possible rivals: the Statler Bros and the most awarded C&W group of the 70's, Tompall and the Glaser Bros seen here at Wembley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDD9LmNeE9wSg&v=D9LmNeE9wSg&feature=player_detailpage

Chuck suffered a stroke in 1975 and sadly Tompall passed away last August.

There is no question that a number of those who have been involved with the Club at director level in recent years have only been in it for themselves but it is equally true that a large number of "Rangers men" have had the opportunity to support the club they hold dear and have not done so.

Regrettably the days when it was an honour and a privilege to be a director of Rangers (as indeed a player) are long gone.

I would like to think that those days will return but I am not confident.

I don't think it has been quite as simple as that. Unless individuals were willing to spend disproportionate levels of money just to get in the door/ hold real influence or control.

Then you have to realise what you are taking on. The expectation levels allied to the available income streams and location (SPFL) mean that it is a difficult juggling act that can have millions thrown at it but still fail.

All in all I agree with you that for various reasons we are going through what is a 'long-running before and after event'.

The club is a shambles at all levels playing in a league without a sponser.

A positive might be that you'd think it could only get better but I'm afraid that isn't necessarily the case.

ps. I now realise who you are thank's to other forums on Gersnet.

That sounds a bit ominous! but I've never hidden my true identity.

Nothing ominous whatsoever.

Just saying as you'd earlier mentioned that I might know you or that you had been in the RST.

I didn't know you at all until I saw a another post of yours and obviously the penny dropped.

Not sure about Tomball & the Glasers, BH, they veer perilously close to oompah band music in that medley! I only know their rather fey version of 'Last Thing on My Mind' which certainly has superb harmonies but lacks raw emotion. Will check out the other videos and see. Anyway, I'll see your Tomball and raise you The Laurel Canyon Ramblers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es6lUEbyA_s

Which I was listening to last night, between The Grateful Dead and this timeless classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e11h73WhqK4

Nothing ominous whatsoever.

Just saying as you'd earlier mentioned that I might know you or that you had been in the RST.

I didn't know you at all until I saw a another post of yours and obviously the penny dropped.

Understood, thanks; obviously you didn't see the wanted posters. :facepalm:

andy steel;486580]

Not sure about Tomball & the Glasers, BH, they veer perilously close to oompah band music in that medley! I only know their rather fey version of 'Last Thing on My Mind' which certainly has superb harmonies but lacks raw emotion. Will check out the other videos and see. Anyway, I'll see your Tomball and raise you The Laurel Canyon Ramblers:

Which I was listening to last night, between The Grateful Dead and this timeless classic.

Nice stuff, much better than the football.

Check out Tompall & Co on the old Hank Williams, Mansion on the Hill, can't find a "live" version but this from an album in my collection

But if it's bluegrass then apart from spraying the hallowed turf, I'd go for Jim and Jesse the Virginia Boys

or perhaps better one of my youtube favourites Emmylou Harris and one half of the Louvin Bros, Charlie Louvin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQu5Vidl6o&feature=player_detailpage