Aye. Only that people like to come up with "plummers and postman" stuff and ignore that loads of these people know exactly how to play the game and have done it for years. A professional should be able to beat somesuch hands down, is the usual assumption. Yet, claiming that would simply ignore that each season, for these last 150 years that association football is being played, "pub teams" (as some like to term anything below the top tier) have left their mark in the various cup competitions, and not just in Scotland. We essentially had that for two seasons on the trott and to survive one season unbeaten (with 3 draws in 36 games) is no easy feat. So in a sense, you are correct, the opposition does matter. Only that not so many on here want to look at it from a neutral angle, for it is the pub-team mantra all along.

NB: If you checked any of my suggestions for next season's line-ups, you would have noted that Jig is not in there.

This has all been explained to you hundreds of times before.

One off cup matches will always bring up surprises. Also, there is a severe lack of quality in the SPL, let alone the SFL 3 and 2, where the players are not even professional. The quality in those leagues is shocking.

I wish we would stop being derogatory to the lower division players ie plumbers etc and not professional.. ( the term for part time is semi pro ie they are pros but share it with a regular job). On many occasion they found us out tactically and effortwise. The focus here should be on our team playing like a pub team.

I wish we would stop being derogatory to the lower division players ie plumbers etc and not professional.. ( the term for part time is semi pro ie they are pros but share it with a regular job). On many occasion they found us out tactically and effortwise. The focus here should be on our team playing like a pub team.

There has been plenty focus on that and it's because of the lack of quality of the opposition that it's all the more grating. Semi-pros are part-timers, it's the same thing. You can only be called a pro if you do it as a full-time occupation.

The fact they found us out had nothing to do with their quality and everything to do with us being incredibly poor.

These "somesuch" pub teams have a lot to answer for; what's the German for "somesuch", google doesn't recognise it :D

In due course though (it is essentially "my invention" :party::celebrate2:) ... by now I'd have assumed it became clear enough: it refers to something mentioned before, i.e. means "the same / the like / of the same category/quality", e.g. "pub teams ... and the like".

Indeed. Being a part-time professional didn't stop Alan Morton being widely regarded as one of the greatest exponents of the game with a level of fitness as good as any of his full-time counterparts.

German my arse.

You do know that "your fair tongue" is of West-GERMANic origin, language-wise? You'd have to dig rather deep into your family books to check up whether it is of Anglish (Scots) or Saxon (English) descent. That said, you might even be a "tamed" British Celt or "untamed" Celtic marauder from beyond the Irish Sea. Or some left-over Viking raider? :smokin:

Thanks to the gods, football will be back on our minds from next Thursday onwards! :cheers: