I`m sure some on here will have an interest in this announcement ...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/orange-order-may-stage-pro-union-march-on-eve-of-scottish-referendum.24188536

Orange Order may stage pro-Union march on eve of Scottish referendum

Tom Gordon

Scottish Political Editor

Sunday 11 May 2014

THE Orange Order is planning a massive parade in support of a No vote days before the independence referendum.

The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland hopes to attract up to 15,000 members to Edinburgh on the Saturday before the historic vote.

Although most of those taking part will be from Scotland, the fiercely pro-Union Protestant movement also expects some Orange bands from Northern Ireland "to show support".

The pro-Union Better Together group last night distanced itself from the Order, insisting it would "never" be part of its campaign.

Robert McLean, executive officer of the Grand Orange Lodge, said the organisation was already in positive talks with City of Edinburgh Council about the September 13 gathering.

He said: "It's basically an Orange parade. It's not just a parade for anyone. You would expect the Orange organisations to come out for a No.

"We are looking for between 10,000 and 15,000 members in the parade. The majority will be from Scotland but we would expect some of our lodges from Northern Ireland and England to show support."

The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland has its own pro-Union campaign group, British Together.

On its website, Grand Master Henry Dunbar says the Orange Order in Scotland is "fervently opposed" to the break-up of the UK.

"Ever since the first Orange lodges were constituted in Scotland in 1797, we have been committed to a United Kingdom, headed by a constitutional monarchy.

"We are primarily a Christian and charitable fraternal organisation - we rarely step in to the political arena. However, the Union ... is a matter that unites us all.

"I remain convinced that with your help, the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland can help ensure that we remain 'British Together'."

After the debacle of the CBI registering and then de-registering as an official campaigner in the referendum, McLean said the Grand Lodge had considered whether it should become a "permitted participant", but decided against this, as it would not spend beyond the £10,000 threshold.

"It's an educational programme we are trying to run here," he said. "We feel quite clearly that we are better together. As far as we are concerned, [the Union] is not broken so it does not need fixed. We are quite happy to stay within the UK."

Despite the increasingly heated nature of the independence debate, McLean said he did not expect the Edinburgh parade to be a flashpoint for disorder.

"We never get a counter protest at an Orange parade. We accept that for this one we could. But I'm sure the police will deal with that."

The parade promises to be one of the few large gatherings before voters go to the ballot. In 2012 and 2013, supporters of independence staged marches and rallies in Edinburgh, first in Princes Street Gardens and then on Calton Hill, which attracted thousands.

However, plans for a third and final rally this year have been ditched, with organisers urging people to focus on local events instead.

Regarding the Orange order parade, a Better Together spokesman said: "This organisation isn't part of our campaign and never will be. The best way for people who believe that we are stronger and better together as part of the UK to get involved is by speaking to undecided voters, not marching in the streets."

Yes Scotland said: "We fully respect that others have a different view and support their democratic right to express it in any legitimate and peaceful way they wish."

I'd suggest their involvement in the 'debate' would hinder their ultimate aim and entrench opinions amongst their polar opposites in the Republican community.

The fact that this story appears in the Herald suggests their Editors suspect the same as me.

Wait what? Is this a parade to support the Union or not?

He said: "It's basically an Orange parade. It's not just a parade for anyone.

How inclusive of you. No wonder Better Together said no thanks.

I'd suggest their involvement in the 'debate' would hinder their ultimate aim and entrench opinions amongst their polar opposites in the Republican community.

The fact that this story appears in the Herald suggests their Editors suspect the same as me.

Do you think they should do nothing and allow the voices of only their polar opposites in the Republican community to be heard? Anyway, I doubt that the opinions of the Republican community, or yours, would be affected one way or the other by this parade.

Wait what? Is this a parade to support the Union or not?

How inclusive of you. No wonder Better Together said no thanks.

These are two different campaigns - Better Together ( Official campaigner ), and British Together ( educational campaigner ). The Grand Lodge of Scotland can only be responsible for the conduct of its members, and it is under these auspices that the licence to parade will be granted.

If you feel that there is a need for a massive Pro-Union all-inclusive parade, why don`t you organize one?

Do you think they should do nothing and allow the voices of only their polar opposites in the Republican community to be heard? Anyway, I doubt that the opinions of the Republican community, or yours, would be affected one way or the other by this parade.

I think their involvement might sway a few undecided votes in favour of the Yes campaign so ultimately, they would be best keeping out of the debate altogether.

I think their involvement might sway a few undecided votes in favour of the Yes campaign so ultimately, they would be best keeping out of the debate altogether.

Well, you see, maybe they think that they can sway any undecideds to vote No and that they have every right to contribute to the debate. Maybe the speeches that are made when the parade reaches its destination may reveal a thing or two.

I very much doubt that any undecided voters from the the Protestant sect of Christianity would vote in favour of the No campaign by virtue of the OO entering the debate.

But I'd say that their entering the fray could sway a few undecided Catholic voters in favour of the Yes campaign.

Do you have any idea how much these guys are hated by some in the RC communities? Their decision to enter the debate at this time merely brings their bigoted and sectarian opinions back into public view and some might view Independence as a sure-fire way to consign these dinosaurs to the bowels of history.

Anyone with a strong Orange allegiance will have already decided to vote No. Not all Scots-Irish Catholic voters will have decided their vote, hence my logical conclusions.

As much as I have no time for the OO, I can't see how an independent Scotland could consign them to history (any more than they do themselves, that is). Are people expecting Alex Salmond to issue a banning order on Day 1 of the new Peoples' Republic? That would be a bit intolerant, I'd have to say.