Former Celtic star Chris Sutton blames bad financial advice for bankruptcy

SUTTON, 41, went into bankruptcy last week after losing £50,000 in a spread betting foreign currency scam.

FORMER Celtic star Chris Sutton has blamed bad financial advice after going bust.

The retired player, who was the UK’s first £5million transfer footballer, went into bankruptcy last week.

Last night, he said: “I’ve been given bad financial advice.”

During a court case last year, it emerged Sutton lost £50,000 in a spread betting foreign currency scam and his wife Samantha lost the same amount after being caught in a multi-million-pound fraud.

Sutton, 41, who won his one and only England cap in 1997, said in a statement: “During the investment period, I was led to believe that I was making a profit on the investment. However, I now realise that I was not.”

He said his financial adviser, Simon Grint, 56, who was jailed over the scam, had recommended the scheme as offering “a good return”.

Sutton moved to Celtic from Chelsea in 2000 for £6million and played a key role in helping the Hoops win three SPL titles.

The striker loved life at Parkhead under Martin O’Neill and blamed Gordon Strachan for his bitter split with the club.

Sutton left Celtic seven months after Strachan replaced O’Neill in 2005.

He moved to Birmingham City and then Aston Villa before retiring in 2007 due to an eye injury.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-celtic-star-chris-sutton-3560743

I wouldn't wish that on anyone however it doesn't take away the fact that Sutton is a grade-A fud. Even since retiring when you see him on interviews he comes across as a top shelf arrogant tosspot.