I thought I'd start a thread similar to GS' film one, where people can give their comments on albums that they have listened to,

Coldplay - Ghost Stories

A bit of a departure from their last 3 albums. A lot more atmospheric with no big anthem apart from A Sky Full of Stars. Musically Coldplay are on top form but the big problem is that Chris Martin is the vocalist. His singing style doesn't suit the songs.

The album basically has a lack of tunes and doesn't work on first listen, and I doubt that I'll be rushing back to put it on again.

2/5

Prince - Lotusflower

I'm off to see Prince at the Hydro on Thursday so have been listening to a lot of Prince over the last few weeks. Lotusflower was an album that he brought out in 2009 and is arguably his best in 25 years. It was released with 2 other albums MPLSound and Elixer (with Bria Valente) but wouldn't waste time with these.

Lotusflower is full of great songs, showing that Prince still has it. Colonised Mind, Love Like Jazz, 77 Beverley Park, Crimson & Clover...all great songs.

If you like Prince of the 80s then check it out. There's a slight difference between the CD and download versions with Crimson & Clover appearing on the CD instead of The Morning After. I'd suggest the CD if you have the choice.

4.5/5

I think Coldplay are absolutely dire :)!

Not one of my favourite bands, but I did like some of the stuff of their last few albums.

On another subject, Prince's set list from last night:

Let's Go Crazy

Take me with U

Raspberry beret

U got the look

Cool (full)

Kiss

The love we make

When Doves Cry (most)

Sign O the times (full and then some)

Hot Thing

All Day all night (part)

controversy

Little Red Corvette

Nothing compared 2 U

Guitar

Plectrum Electrum

She's always in my hair (very long)

Sometimes it snows in April (full song with full band)

Forever in my life

Dreamer

Play that funky music

Funk N Roll

Purple Rain

Musicology

A Love Bizarre

I would die 4U

Housequake

17 Days (bit)

Pretzelbodylogic

Stratus

What's My Name

It's bound to change for Thursday but looking like a great show. Can't wait!

Prince Concert - 22 May 2014 - Glasgow Hydro

Let's go Glasgow! What a concert, what a night, what a guy.

I'm still buzzing after one of the best concerts I've been to (and my ears haven't returned to normal). He played for 2 and a quarter hours and played most of his big hits. He did a couple of newer songs that worked really well (FunknRoll (where he got some of the audience up on stage) and Live Out Loud). He also did a few of his less well know album songs like Guitar.

Showed that he's an expert on guitar, bass and keyboards, and with the backing of 3rd Eye Girl, the show had a heavier rock side than he's had at certain points n the past. For a guy who's approaching 56, he puts on such a great show.

Downsides? There seemed to be issues with the lighting and the sound (due to the Hydro?) but that didn't affect me as I'm no expert. I had hoped he'd play more of his newer and/or more obscure stuff as he had at other points on the tour, but I doubt the majority were with me on that, and I had hoped he'd go on a little longer, However minor points that didn't take away from a concert that'll live long in the memory.

Set list:

Let's Go Crazy

Take Me With U

Raspberry Beret

U Got The Look

Musicology

Kiss

The Love We Make

Funknroll

When Doves Cry

Sign O' The Times

I Would Die 4 U

Forever In My Life

Controversy

Little Red Corvette

Nothing Compares 2 U

Guitar

Crimson And Clover

Sometimes It Snows In April

Diamonds And Pearls

The Beautiful Ones

I Wanna Be Your Lover

Purple Rain

Play That Funky Music

Live It Up

Housequake

A Love Bizarre

Alphabet St/Pop Life/If I Was Your Girlfriend/Nasty Girl (instrumental) samples

Hot Thing

1507145_888217064528077_592001074863509752_n.jpg

PrinceGlasgow_zps72794772.jpg

To be honest I don't really like much music at all from the 00's onwards. I listen to all genres but mainly like 50's - 90's rock (be it indie, grunge, punk, post-rock, anything). Also love 80's, 90's rap.

I will say though that albums I rate recently are:

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Both of Keaton Hensons albums

Jake Bugg - Shangri La

Peace - In Love

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP2

Bluedell, I saw Prince years ago at Meadowbank and surprisingly really enjoyed. Only went as Mrs Cammy liked Prince and had no one to go with. Brilliant performer and a fantastic singer / songwriter

To be honest I don't really like much music at all from the 00's onwards. I listen to all genres but mainly like 50's - 90's rock (be it indie, grunge, punk, post-rock, anything). Also love 80's, 90's rap.

I will say though that albums I rate recently are:

Sigur Ros - Kveikur

Both of Keaton Hensons albums

Jake Bugg - Shangri La

Peace - In Love

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP2

I've never got into Sigur Ros for some reason, as it's the sort of thing I'd normally like. Didn't overly like Jake Bugg's first album so haven't bothered listening to his second. The Eminem one's quite good but I'm not the biggest rap fan in the world so only listen when forced to by the kids. It certainly seems better than his previous couple.