Officially appoint Van Gaal, with Giggs as assistant, and the latter retiring from playing.

Ryan Giggs has to go down as one of the best players of all time in the English league and probably goes ahead of Charlton and Best as Utds best ever player.

Van Gaal should improve Man Utd from last season but I think he'd have done a better job bringing his own team in and think having Giggs as No.2 has been pushed onto him. But they have to make some real signings in the transfer market as that squad is very average.

I wonder how Rooney will cope with Van Gaal, someone who will demand 100% from him every game. Giving Rooney that contract will go down as one of the biggest howlers in football for me but if anyone can get something extra from him it's Van Gaal.

Van Gaal should improve Man Utd from last season but I think he'd have done a better job bringing his own team in and think having Giggs as No.2 has been pushed onto him.

It might just be temporary having Giggs as No.2 so that he can get the dressing room whipped into line quickly.

Got to agree with SBS here, Van Gaal has had some success but also had a few poor jobs. He isn't the guaranteed success that some Man Utd fans think he will be.

Also the Rooney one will be interesting, I think Rooney has peaked and will only go downhill as he reaches 30.

Toni Kroos and Luke Shaw are supposed to be done deals and Van Gaal will be persuading Robben at the Dutch WC camp. That's 3 players who will make them much stronger already. But they would still need another centre half and midfielder after that.