The club has lost its character and respect from our peers. Nowadays we're a laughing stock. However, all is not lost. Something has to give whereby we rise again and dominate the national league and cups. Whether we recover enough to compete in Europe is an altogether different matter.

We need the support to wake up and for serious individuals to get their feet under the boardroom that starts the process of rebuilding.

3/4 years left of this mess in my opinion.

Another three or four years of this could see the damage done being permanent.

I think we need a solution much sooner.

Excellent piece Hildy. Better writing than anything in paid media.

Irvine Welsh recently said a term - 'the sectarian doped old firm,' in a disparaging answer as to why the old firm win in Scotland all the time. Traditions, loyalty, yada yada. Ultimately it will hold both clubs back though. The EPL in it's earlier days will have certainly discussed the old firm in response to approaches, but I feel justified in speculating that the nutter element of both clubs,and policing, will ultimately have been the discouraging factor in rejecting overtures. The nutters may have held the club back from being a truly global powerhouse. Idle chatter I know.

Both the old firm are hostage to a very sizeable element who believe in dragging fairly extreme politics into their club, projecting an image of Rangers as beholden to a right wing, and celtic as a hotbed of terrorist sympathisers and activists to everyone else.

Right wing politics are generally unpalatable to the modern middle class, (everything is wishy washy these days- it's not the early 20th century) and you'll lose some of a demographic by being associated with it. A club which operates and is perceived as being inclusive will commercially prosper easier in normal market conditions than a non inclusive one. Barca learned this over the years. The fact that you are debating it is however fantastic. But hey, both clubs have massive supports, and as William Burroughs said 'Earth is a war planet. War and games."

Cheer up Hildy. I notice you have a dark view this now, but I'm sure rangers will come good again soon. You'll wipe the floor with the hibbies - the players will literally be on £500 a week, and the jambos were actually building a team under Locke, but levein will mess it up. If you went to easter road this season (and it is the coldest ground in Scotland I swear) and didn't see a win in over a dozen home games you'd know about misery. It's been like Ripping Yarns.

There is not a cat in hell's chance of Celt@c going to England or anywhere else. No other country on this earth would tolerate this vile club and it's support apart from Scotland with its weak politicians and authorities too fearful to take any meaningful action against it

They have tried, and are trying, to find a way to maximise their potential. They know, as we do, that life in Scottish football has certain advantages but also serious disadvantages.

The consequences of Celtic getting out would affect Rangers badly. We've seen how miserable one-team divisions are and that's what we'd be left with if Celtic got out and we didn't.

Celtic being a vile club is your opinion and it isn't necessarily shared in England or in Europe. The sooner we put personal animosity on this issue to one side the sooner we'll be able to contemplate this issue seriously.

People say that there are no exits from Scottish football, but the same kind of people said that Rangers would never go bust.

Do you think Celtic will be playing in Scottish football in a hundred years? At some point, with or without us, there will be change. Maybe it will take fifty years, but it could be twenty or ten or five.

Celtic are preparing the ground and pulling as many strings as they can to find a more lucrative football environment in which to compete.

At some point, a door will open for them, and when it does, if the option to move is an attractive one, they will be gone.

We could be left high and very, very dry. Let's not get fooled again into thinking that seemingly unlikely scenarios will never ever happen.

Excellent piece Hildy. Better writing than anything in paid media.

Irvine Welsh recently said a term - 'the sectarian doped old firm,' in a disparaging answer as to why the old firm win in Scotland all the time. Traditions, loyalty, yada yada. Ultimately it will hold both clubs back though. The EPL in it's earlier days will have certainly discussed the old firm in response to approaches, but I feel justified in speculating that the nutter element of both clubs,and policing, will ultimately have been the discouraging factor in rejecting overtures. The nutters may have held the club back from being a truly global powerhouse. Idle chatter I know.

Both the old firm are hostage to a very sizeable element who believe in dragging fairly extreme politics into their club, projecting an image of Rangers as beholden to a right wing, and celtic as a hotbed of terrorist sympathisers and activists to everyone else.

Right wing politics are generally unpalatable to the modern middle class, (everything is wishy washy these days- it's not the early 20th century) and you'll lose some of a demographic by being associated with it. A club which operates and is perceived as being inclusive will commercially prosper easier in normal market conditions than a non inclusive one. Barca learned this over the years. The fact that you are debating it is however fantastic. But hey, both clubs have massive supports, and as William Burroughs said 'Earth is a war planet. War and games."

Cheer up Hildy. I notice you have a dark view this now, but I'm sure rangers will come good again soon. You'll wipe the floor with the hibbies - the players will literally be on £500 a week, and the jambos were actually building a team under Locke, but levein will mess it up. If you went to easter road this season (and it is the coldest ground in Scotland I swear) and didn't see a win in over a dozen home games you'd know about misery. It's been like Ripping Yarns.

Thanks.

I'm off to bed now but I'll look in again tomorrow.

You believe expectations should be lowered.

I may be pessimistic about the current outlook but I will never contemplate a lowering of expectations.

This is your position and I sincerely hope that very few of us share it.

Nothing in my post gave any indication that I would accept a lowering of expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing in my post gave any indication that I would accept a lowering of expectations.

You said:

". . . until expectations are lowered, there will be no let up on the misery front".

This would tend to suggest that a lowering of expectations is your recommended course of action.

Perhaps you can clear it up - should expectations be lowered - in your view?

You said:

". . . until expectations are lowered, there will be no let up on the misery front".

This would tend to suggest that a lowering of expectations is your recommended course of action.

Perhaps you can clear it up - should expectations be lowered - in your view?

Allow me to jump in.

In recent times we've been subject to subtle but steady short-term downward expectation management from AMcC, who has done so for his own interests come the time when supporters judge performance.

At the other end of the scale we have had/have CEO's who talk things up regards expectations and their timescales, to the extent that they are plainly not realistic if you take the time and analyse how these are supposed to be achieved.

However I'd venture that the multi-layered gravytrain that is a Grade 'A' Omnishambles doesn't in it's present form, deserve to be listened to given the personal agendas and serial misleading that goes on.

More important than expectations is present reality and until we sort that out, we can only expect to continue on the road to no-where (at best).

"You'll wipe the floor with the hibbies" - You wouldn't be trying to lull us into a false sense of security, would you, NS?

Were you "First Green" or "Brother Warner" in another time and another place?

I'm sorry Hildy, but while many of your points are valid, the general tone of fatalistic defeatism doesn't sit well with me.

I think you need to read some quotes from Mr Struth and try to fall back into love with the Club again...because it needs us now more than it did in the good times.

It will be a long hard road, but I believe that we'll get back where we belong in 4-5 years.

I think you need to wake up.